Which monitor kits yield full and rich sound

xecluded

Which monitor kits yield full and rich sound
« on: 17 Jan 2018, 07:00 pm »
Long time audioholics and been away from this hobby.  Just got back to this and the wife only allow small monitors speakers (14" high maximum.)  Thinking about Wharfedale 225 or Denton but figure if I build my own cabinets, I can get the kits from GR and the result may even be better.  Which kits would you recommend for full (bold) and rich sound with decent bass (not required subwoofer) for medium size room 15x15.  I used to have Altec Bolero, Altec Valencia, Tannoy 385HPD, etc... so my taste is leaning toward big and bold sound...

Thank you in advance.

Danny Richie

Re: Which monitor kits yield full and rich sound
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2018, 07:52 pm »
The standard ported box (monitor size) for the X-LS Encore is a little on the small side and  it picks up the response a little around the 100Hz or so giving a little heavier and puncher bottom end. So it might be just what you're looking for.

http://gr-research.com/x-lsencorekit.aspx

The floor standing version gives it a more optimal and flatter roll off that extends lower.

I am very confident that you'll like the sound over the others you are considering especially with the available upgrades. 

xecluded

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2018, 11:12 pm »
Thank you Danny for your response.  I will do some study on the X-LS Encore

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2018, 11:31 pm »
The standard ported box (monitor size) for the X-LS Encore is a little on the small side and  it picks up the response a little around the 100Hz or so giving a little heavier and puncher bottom end. So it might be just what you're looking for.

http://gr-research.com/x-lsencorekit.aspx

The floor standing version gives it a more optimal and flatter roll off that extends lower.

I am very confident that you'll like the sound over the others you are considering especially with the available upgrades.

I've built a number of these kits with different levels  of parts inn the networks.  don't let the price fool you, these are  some very, very good  monitors and if you build them out  with Point to point wired networks,  use some  upgraded main caps and high end bypass caps, ,  MILS resistors, XO inductors, tube connectors and no rez, you wil lbe  astonished at the  end results.

The stock kits   offer extraordinary value, upgradin  them all the way does increase  the cost significantly but you  do end up with a very high end  speaker

jay

flavo

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2018, 11:37 pm »
I'm not sure how the N2X compares. I'd assume Danny suggested the X-LS for a reason. But there is a set of them built in the trading post FS.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154978.0

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2018, 09:00 pm »
The N2X is a really good choice as well.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2018, 03:34 am »
All of Danny’s speakers are great!  Some are greater than others. 

Here are the X-LS driven by my custom EL84 amps.

https://youtu.be/bJa_9mDHcWc

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2018, 04:48 am »
The N1X is also an excellent stand mounter monitor. However, if you want enough bass extension to not miss a sub for music, seriously consider the N3s. While these are floor standers they don't take up any more room than monitors on stands.

I have built N1Xs with upgraded crossovers and X-LS Encores with their crossovers upgraded to the same level as the N1Xs. While these are both excellent monitors, they are -3dB at 55Hz. The N3s are -3dB at 40Hz. With room gain the N3s can dig a lot lower. Mine are solid down to the low 30s.

Again, don't dismiss them just because they are floor standers. If you are going to put monitors on stands, the N3s won't take up any more floor space.

Mike