Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

ZimAhUm

• Restricted
Re: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before
« Reply #2180 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:33 pm »
Well a bunch of people have their kits already. We will see who’s first to comment. Although I don’t know if some of them even post on forums.

I'm curious: if not on here, where would one have found out about this amp?  :o

Photon46

« Reply #2181 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:54 pm »
With a product launch like this where one man designed the product, oversaw ordering all parts, assembles the product (until this week,) and then has to handle shipping - there was no reason to  spread the word beyond this website!  :lol:  A sure way to torpedo a brand is to to create more demand than can be satisfied.

Unless you're  Elon Musk and you're launching the Model 3.  :roll:

Captainhemo

« Reply #2182 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:26 pm »
thanks JakeJ, yeah it's a real wake up call.  I've been telling all the people in my life I love them and value them.  It's caught early but I had some kind of weird attack that I thought was sleep apnea and I felt dreadful for a couple days, couldn't concentrate enough to listen to music or even watch tv.  Just sit numbly praying for the feeling to go away.  Blood tests showed I'm diabetic now.  After twice daily exercise and super strict diet for a few days I feel back to my old self but I'm going to have to make radical changes to my whole life.  I wish I hadn't gained the 60 pounds I gained over the last 2 years now :(   everyone quit drinking soda and start walking or bench pressing krell amps(they won't be in service after you hear mike's amp)

hang in there man, there is life   with diabetes .   I'veen a diabetic for 44 yrs (insulin dependent  for the  whole  time).   yeah, I was diagnosed at  a young age so I learned early but it  was  tough throughout the teen and 20's. 
Work hard at following your Dr's advice,  maintaining your blood sugar level  down and consistant   is key to lowering the risk  of secondary complications.
Be positive man   !!

jay

back2back

« Reply #2183 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:39 pm »
Nice ! if I had known that the kits would ship first I probably would have ordered a kit instead of the fully assembled amp. I doubt that mine will make it to DHL today.

That's not true Bunky. If it makes you fell any better, I ordered the kit, and live in Canada. Seems the Canadians will get their amps last because Mike wants to get all the DHL orders completed first (he's using Canada Post for Canadian orders). So in all likelihood you'll receive your amp before we do.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2184 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:44 pm »
I'm curious: if not on here, where would one have found out about this amp?  :o

Google search Icepower 1200as or Icepower Iceedge and I’m on the top of the list.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2185 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:49 pm »
That's not true Bunky. If it makes you fell any better, I ordered the kit, and live in Canada. Seems the Canadians will get their amps last because Mike wants to get all the DHL orders completed first (he's using Canada Post for Canadian orders). So in all likelihood you'll receive your amp before we do.

Sorry man I’m getting them all done this weekend. I’ve been so busy, and 95% are shipping via DHL. So to get the most amount out fastest cleaning up the DHL orders first was the best way. DHL doesn’t have domestic services. I’ll ship Express so you get it fast.

SFDude

« Reply #2186 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:51 pm »
My package from Mike is sitting, unopened for the time being, hence no listening impressions yet from me. Need to take care of a few larger matters, then I can sit down, assemble and actually burn it in to do it some justice. Going to be interesting comparing this to my Line Magnetic amp but will try to be as thorough as possible while taking notes.

With a product launch like this where one man designed the product, oversaw ordering all parts, assembles the product (until this week,) and then has to handle shipping - there was no reason to  spread the word beyond this website!  :lol:  A sure way to torpedo a brand is to to create more demand than can be satisfied.

This is exactly why it shouldn't have been broadcasted. Great analogy!

-dave

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2187 on: 13 Jan 2018, 06:00 pm »

I’m not selling more than I can handle. I just had a 6 day DHL delay and had to scrap all my speaker cables. If I was selling the kits prepared the same way as let’s say the Hypex NC-400 kit, it would be a breeze. Just toss all the raw parts in a box with no labor involved at all other than boxing parts. I could order all cable sets from China like they do, use a Chinese case, and charge double. Big win for me. But big loss for you guys.

back2back

« Reply #2188 on: 13 Jan 2018, 06:12 pm »
Sorry man I’m getting them all done this weekend. I’ve been so busy, and 95% are shipping via DHL. So to get the most amount out fastest cleaning up the DHL orders first was the best way. DHL doesn’t have domestic services. I’ll ship Express so you get it fast.

No worries Mike, just letting Bunky know it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference whether he ordered kit or assembled. I think everyone here appreciates your efforts these last few weeks.

TJHUB

« Reply #2189 on: 13 Jan 2018, 06:14 pm »
I just finished reading through this enormous thread...finally.  I am fairly certain I’m going to order an amp today, but I’d like ask some questions:

1.  My DAC is single ended with a 2.5v output with a Tortuga passive preamp.  Will the 2.5v drive the Ice amp well enough for 86db efficient speakers?

2.  I have damn near nearly perfect timbre with my current setup.  It was leaning a bit soft in the treble with a touch of bloat in the bass, but I have it sitting nearly perfect or maybe just a touch lacking in dynamics and liveliness.  Would one recommend the Standard or SE amp in this case?

3.  I’m not certain what switch is being used for standby mode, and I’m not certain where it’s being mounted?

4.  What is the height of the case with the feet?

5.  Will the external power cable from Furutech be available for order soon?

Thanks!

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2190 on: 13 Jan 2018, 06:19 pm »
No worries Mike, just letting Bunky know it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference whether he ordered kit or assembled. I think everyone here appreciates your efforts these last few weeks.

Well he is right on that. I saved the most time consuming ones for last. Anyways by next week everyone will have their amps and it will be done. For my new cases it will be a breeze because my new helper will have all the cablesets pre-terminated that are required for the 180 cases I’m producing. Lot 5 will have 60 SE’s and 120 standards. Also getting 5 Purepower Six SE, and 10 Purepower Six standards built. Then 4 prototype cases for my new Puremusic DAC/pre

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2191 on: 13 Jan 2018, 06:28 pm »
I just finished reading through this enormous thread...finally.  I am fairly certain I’m going to order an amp today, but I’d like ask some questions:

1.  My DAC is single ended with a 2.5v output with a Tortuga passive preamp.  Will the 2.5v drive the Ice amp well enough for 86db efficient speakers?

2.  I have damn near nearly perfect timbre with my current setup.  It was leaning a bit soft in the treble with a touch of bloat in the bass, but I have it sitting nearly perfect or maybe just a touch lacking in dynamics and liveliness.  Would one recommend the Standard or SE amp in this case?

3.  I’m not certain what switch is being used for standby mode, and I’m not certain where it’s being mounted?

4.  What is the height of the case with the feet?

5.  Will the external power cable from Furutech be available for order soon?

Thanks!

1: You won’t get the full power out of the amp with 2.5v, but you’ll get plenty. At Jays place his single ended pre only puts out 2v and we had it at insane levels.

2: Both amps will sound great. Only the SE will have an edge because of the better cables/connectors and better vibration dampening of the case. But it will just be more of what’s already good, rather than sounding like a different amp.

3: From the bottom of the feet to the top of the front/rear panels they will be 112mm tall.

4: You can buy a Furutech S55N powercable from ZenWave Audio today. The $200 silver plated milspec cable with Furutech connectors I might sell, will only be available after we run it though the paces and decide it sounds good. Maybe we can do this next week. Anyways it can always be added to any order at anytime before the amps ship.

Don_S

« Reply #2192 on: 13 Jan 2018, 06:43 pm »

4: You can buy a Furutech S55N powercable from ZenWave Audio today. The $200 silver plated milspec cable with Furutech connectors I might sell, will only be available after we run it though the paces and decide it sounds good. Maybe we can do this next week. Anyways it can always be added to any order at anytime before the amps ship.

FYI, Mike.  Maybe a count of interested buyers would be helpful.  I would be interested in a $200 cord for my Lot 3 standard amp.

TJHUB

« Reply #2193 on: 13 Jan 2018, 06:45 pm »
1: You won’t get the full power out of the amp with 2.5v, but you’ll get plenty. At Jays place his single ended pre only puts out 2v and we had it at insane levels.

2: Both amps will sound great. Only the SE will have an edge because of the better cables/connectors and better vibration dampening of the case. But it will just be more of what’s already good, rather than sounding like a different amp.

3: From the bottom of the feet to the top of the front/rear panels they will be 112mm tall.

Thanks for the quick reply, but what about the switch?

Captainhemo

« Reply #2194 on: 13 Jan 2018, 07:11 pm »

yeah, I've listened to  it both 2v/3v  single ened... My Dodd pre is  a variable gain model .  Right now I'm  running the PerStream DAc at  3v output (SE) withthe Dodd  at 0db of gain.  We also listened  to the system  with the  PureStream set at  2v output and the Dodd at 0 db gain,  which works well too.  I just switched to the 3v output to eliminate the resistor in the  signal path  of the PureStream .
Keep in mind,  my speakers are  93db ....   If you really wanted, I cold drag in some 88 db speakers  , set the PureStreamm to 2v and give it a whirl at some point

I think Mike settled on one of the new Piezo switches   ,  look a page or two back. It'll be available in  multiple colors  I believe

jay

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2195 on: 13 Jan 2018, 07:30 pm »

Oh it will be a very high quality touch button peizo switch. It will be located on the bottom panel right side just behind the front face. And as explained a few pages back it can be ordered in 7 LED colors, or no light at all. The light will shine under the unit on the cabinet, so no direct blinding light. Just there to let you know it’s on or off.

Also there’s only 1 version of the standard and the SE. Only differences there will be is colors. The Takachi case isn’t the standard. It’s a level below the standard.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2196 on: 13 Jan 2018, 07:34 pm »
FYI, Mike.  Maybe a count of interested buyers would be helpful.  I would be interested in a $200 cord for my Lot 3 standard amp.

First I need to determine if it’s a cable that works great with the Purepower. After that if we like it, I’ll have it in my webshop.

TJHUB

« Reply #2197 on: 13 Jan 2018, 07:44 pm »
yeah, I've listened to  it both 2v/3v  single ened... My Dodd pre is  a variable gain model .  Right now I'm  running the PerStream DAc at  3v output (SE) withthe Dodd  at 0db of gain.  We also listened  to the system  with the  PureStream set at  2v output and the Dodd at 0 db gain,  which works well too.  I just switched to the 3v output to eliminate the resistor in the  signal path  of the PureStream .
Keep in mind,  my speakers are  93db ....   If you really wanted, I cold drag in some 88 db speakers  , set the PureStreamm to 2v and give it a whirl at some point

I think Mike settled on one of the new Piezo switches   ,  look a page or two back. It'll be available in  multiple colors  I believe

jay

Thanks Jay.  No need to pull out the 88db speakers, but I appreciate the offer.  My 2.5v gets it done on my Odyssey Stratos monoblocks, but I can’t light up my power hungry speakers.  I’d hate to move to another amp without some gain there.  One would think a 1,200 watt amp would play quite a bit louder than a 300 watt amp, but I don’t understand all this gain stuff.  I just don’t want to go backwards in any way.

TJHUB

« Reply #2198 on: 13 Jan 2018, 07:53 pm »
A fellow forum member pointed out that my speakers are 84db and 8ohms, so it’s worse than I thought.  But if my current amps get it done, I expect the Purepower to do better, right?

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2199 on: 13 Jan 2018, 08:10 pm »
A fellow forum member pointed out that my speakers are 84db and 8ohms, so it’s worse than I thought.  But if my current amps get it done, I expect the Purepower to do better, right?

I’m sure you’ll be able to play loud enough. Unless you often listen at extreme levels.