Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

JakeJ

Re: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before
« Reply #2100 on: 11 Jan 2018, 02:18 am »
The NC-500’s have an input impedance of 1.8k. So they pretty much need an input buffer to make a commercially viable amp out of them. They also don’t have enough gain. The stock Hypex buffer (which was originally only developed as a dirt cheap way for OEM’s to test drive the modules) adds 14.6dB of gain, and most 3rd party buffers add around the same. The Bel Canto amp does use their own buffer design, however it’s very basic with about $10 worth of parts including a $1 IC opamp. Most class D amps sold through traditional dealer chains, regardless of price have under $20 invested into the input buffer. This was a huge reason why many didn’t like Ncore amps before the Nords came out. The NC-500 modules themselves are outstanding. In my 8th gen design I used a passive autoformer buffer, with hybrid Weiss OP2-BP based active buffer for use with weak source gear. But with that amp the cost of my buffer was about 25x the cost of the NC-500 module itself. Not exactly economically feasible to market. Audiogeek2 has the only one I ever sold.

Cool.  It will be interesting to read his opinion of the two.

spence

« Reply #2101 on: 11 Jan 2018, 02:50 am »
I find it interesting (I should say funny) that the Nord site is advertising the 1200AS2 as a 'step below the NC500 in SQ'. I see no mention of this statement anywhere in this thread, and just find it interesting (funny).
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2018, 12:44 pm by spence »

JakeJ

« Reply #2102 on: 11 Jan 2018, 02:51 am »
They got a lot of stock to sell.  :lol:

debjit.g

« Reply #2103 on: 11 Jan 2018, 03:25 am »
Mike wouldn't be selling the Ice modules if it didn't exceed nc500 along with his 8th generation input buffer. He plays a key role in the design of Nord's input buffer as well...

debjit.g

« Reply #2104 on: 11 Jan 2018, 03:27 am »
I find it interesting that the Nord site is advertising the 1200AS2 as a step below the NC500 in SQ.

A lot of folks here who has bought Mike's Icepower amp (including me) has Nord amps and we will know soon if its below or above the one Nord is selling  :)

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2105 on: 11 Jan 2018, 03:48 am »
I find it interesting that the Nord site is advertising the 1200AS2 as a step below the NC500 in SQ.

Haven't we been through this?

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2106 on: 11 Jan 2018, 03:55 am »
A lot of folks here who has bought Mike's Icepower amp (including me) has Nord amps and we will know soon if its below or above the one Nord is selling  :)

Well you have my DAC and streamer. But I'm not sure what you have for a preamp these days. But if your pre is good, you should agree with my assessment. Last night I popped into Paul's again and had a good listening session with the Superstream/Purestream/AVC-1 Slagleformer preamp/Takachi 1200AS with silver/gold/Furutech gold RCA inputs, and all standard parts otherwise. Speakers were his silver voice coil 98 dB efficient Audionote's. The sound was unbelievable. So many levels higher than I had ever heard from those speakers with any other gear he had. Although I didn't hear his $14000 Devialet, he said it's far above the best he heard with it in the system. Best of all he has only $6300 total invested in all of his electronics now. I said to Paul, "wouldn't it be better to just have all of this gear in 1 box connected with super short runs of silver/gold OCC cable?"

Audiogeek2

« Reply #2107 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:21 am »
Speaking of Ncore, I just got an email last night that all of the NC500MP and NC252MP amps have been recalled for safety reasons. So they want OEM’s to return all modules. That would be a real PITA if you already sold hundreds. I’m glad I only bought the 502.

Bugger! How would a recall like that work? Do Ncore reimburse the oem who then refunds the buyer?

debjit.g

« Reply #2108 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:41 am »
Well you have my DAC and streamer. But I'm not sure what you have for a preamp these days. But if your pre is good, you should agree with my assessment. Last night I popped into Paul's again and had a good listening session with the Superstream/Purestream/AVC-1 Slagleformer preamp/Takachi 1200AS with silver/gold/Furutech gold RCA inputs, and all standard parts otherwise. Speakers were his silver voice coil 98 dB efficient Audionote's. The sound was unbelievable. So many levels higher than I had ever heard from those speakers with any other gear he had. Although I didn't hear his $14000 Devialet, he said it's far above the best he heard with it in the system. Best of all he has only $6300 total invested in all of his electronics now. I said to Paul, "wouldn't it be better to just have all of this gear in 1 box connected with super short runs of silver/gold OCC cable?"

Mike, I have the BHK pre now (and I will shortly have a Ref 6 from a friend for comparison).

How much are those Audionote speakers ? Do you remember the model ? I have heard them in shows and they have a very different presentation and very lively sound. 

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2109 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:45 am »
Bugger! How would a recall like that work? Do Ncore reimburse the oem who then refunds the buyer?

I have no idea. They just said contact them to arrange shipping.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2110 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:47 am »
Mike, I have the BHK pre now (and I will shortly have a Ref 6 from a friend for comparison).

How much are those Audionote speakers ? Do you remember the model ? I have heard them in shows and they have a very different presentation and very lively sound.

Cool. I'm not sure. They are the ones with the 8" hemp woofer with silver voice coil. A special 98db efficiency version. They sound very nice. A very relaxing fatigue free sound. 

Audiogeek2

« Reply #2111 on: 11 Jan 2018, 06:55 am »
I have no idea. They just said contact them to arrange shipping.

I suppose its not so much an issue for someone like Bel Canto. But what happens to boutique oem's like you or Nord?
Say in 6 months time you have sold a couple of hundred amps and Ice Power issues a recall?

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2112 on: 11 Jan 2018, 07:06 am »
I suppose its not so much an issue for someone like Bel Canto. But what happens to boutique oem's like you or Nord?
Say in 6 months time you have sold a couple of hundred amps and Ice Power issues a recall?

It would be an even bigger issue for a company like Bel Canto. Because they would have 1000’s to deal with. I can imagine they have some sort of plan. Probably replace with even better modules free of cost. They can’t just take them all back and give nothing in return. Icepower hasn’t had any recalls in 18 years, and a 0.3% failure rate. They also spent years testing the 1200as before release. So I’m not really worried about issues. It’s far more risky building amps from scratch as a boutique manufacturer. I have a graveyard of burnt out amps from over the years. At least with these modules, all you do is toss out and replace if something happens. Not even worth fixing if they burn out.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2113 on: 11 Jan 2018, 08:00 am »
This is going to be the new reality of high end amplification. There will be module sellers, and end manufacturers who incorporate their modules into their products. The sooner manufacturers adopt to this new reality, the better off they will be. Think of amps now just like DAC chips. The new world of custom voicing is in the digital domain with filters. Gone will be the days of Analog tweaks to voice audio gear. And this is nothing to fear. It opens up new possibilities that were never feasible in the past. For me this is very exciting. 

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2114 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:18 pm »
The new Purepower Six SE will use the very expensive Furutech FI-33 NCF inlet now:

http://www.furutech.com/2016/09/01/13744/

Here's the final revision of the rear panel:

No extra cost for those who already ordered the Purepower Six SE.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2115 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:19 pm »
All inlets will be mounted from the inside as well for a sleek look. This requires milling out a pocket on the inside of the panel.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2116 on: 11 Jan 2018, 05:04 pm »
Here’s the piezo switch I’m going to use in all Purepower’s. And it can be ordered in any of the following LED colours, as well as no light at all. I’ll have the option in the webshop when ordering.

ZimAhUm

• Restricted
« Reply #2117 on: 11 Jan 2018, 05:06 pm »
The new Purepower Six SE will use the very expensive Furutech FI-33 NCF inlet now:

http://www.furutech.com/2016/09/01/13744/

Here's the final revision of the rear panel:

No extra cost for those who already ordered the Purepower Six SE.

The Six SE is available for order already? or previously?

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2118 on: 11 Jan 2018, 05:07 pm »
The Six SE is available for order already? or previously?

It has been available since I decided to offer the SE models. If you want to upgrade better let me know. Because I’m cutting the panels today.

Don_S

« Reply #2119 on: 11 Jan 2018, 05:18 pm »
Mike,

Website link for the switches?