Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

bavmike

• Facilitator
Re: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before
« Reply #2080 on: 10 Jan 2018, 06:54 pm »
Can I get a price on a 2-channel 1200 icepower amp please? I'm guessing that this is model 1200AS2?

I will be opening up the webshop next week. The standard will be $1049 and SE will be $1499. The pictures I've been sharing are of the old kit that's no longer available. The new amps will use much nicer cases. The details are in this thread. 

Phil A

« Reply #2081 on: 10 Jan 2018, 06:59 pm »
I will be opening up the webshop next week. The standard will be $1049 and SE will be $1499. The pictures I've been sharing are of the old kit that's no longer available. The new amps will use much nicer cases. The details are in this thread.

Can you please post fuse values too for those of us who would like to upgrade it (or if it is preferable for you to offer it as an upgrade post the price)?  Thanks.

GETRDUN

« Reply #2082 on: 10 Jan 2018, 07:03 pm »

OK, Thanks! I will wait to hear feedback on the sound quality of these amps! Have a nice day! :)

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2083 on: 10 Jan 2018, 07:38 pm »

Can you please post fuse values too for those of us who would like to upgrade it (or if it is preferable for you to offer it as an upgrade post the price)?  Thanks.

Both fuses are 5x20mm 10 amp ceramic slo blo.

The 10A version of these would be a good upgrade:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/fuse_hifituning_supreme_sml_sb.html

I'm sure some rebels will be bypassing the chassis fuse.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2084 on: 10 Jan 2018, 07:42 pm »
OK, Thanks! I will wait to hear feedback on the sound quality of these amps! Have a nice day! :)

you too!

monte

« Reply #2085 on: 10 Jan 2018, 07:44 pm »
How much to upgrade to the furutech iec  on the standard amp

GentleBender

« Reply #2086 on: 10 Jan 2018, 07:48 pm »
It's not an option any more. Mivera Audio changed the options to Standard or SE only to keep it simple.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2087 on: 10 Jan 2018, 08:04 pm »
The Kaiser precision plate aluminum just arrived at the waterjet cutter. 1 day late, but there now. He's tossing a plate of the 1/2" on the machine after lunch to cut the heatsink profiles. I'm going to head these after I drop off amps at DHL around 3. 

brother love

« Reply #2088 on: 10 Jan 2018, 08:25 pm »

I've had good luck with AMR iFi Gold Fuses for those of us more budget conscious. $15 ea. for 5 x 20 mm 10 amp:

https://www.tweekgeek.com/copy-of-amr-ifi-fuses/

Phil A

« Reply #2089 on: 10 Jan 2018, 08:33 pm »

I'm sure some rebels will be bypassing the chassis fuse.

Thanks so much - looking forward to the website!

debjit.g

« Reply #2090 on: 10 Jan 2018, 08:35 pm »
there are two fuses - one on the chassis and another on the amp. which one is more meaningful upgrade ?

2oldcranks

« Reply #2091 on: 10 Jan 2018, 08:57 pm »
Just a little heads up for all you LUCKY new purepower soon to be owners,I posted a 1M pair of ZenWave D4 RCA ICs in the accessories section.Cant get my SE amp so dont need these :D  :D 
Now back to THE AMP SHOW 8)

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2092 on: 10 Jan 2018, 09:51 pm »
there are two fuses - one on the chassis and another on the amp. which one is more meaningful upgrade ?

Both would matter the same. If anyone was to do the unthinkable and bypass the chassis fuse, then the one to upgrade would be the amp. 

sumoking

« Reply #2093 on: 11 Jan 2018, 12:09 am »
It's obvious there is a lot of excitement as evidenced by the 70,000 + page views, but there is over 100 pages to go through and all comments are in bits and pieces.

There are a lot of digital amps at this price range and I am interested in joining lot 5.  Something is up with this amp since so many bought into it without hearing it.

For us Digital Amp novices, can somebody share why this amp is so special?  I would be grateful to know and learn.

Thank you.

Audiogeek2

« Reply #2094 on: 11 Jan 2018, 12:40 am »
It's obvious there is a lot of excitement as evidenced by the 70,000 + page views, but there is over 100 pages to go through and all comments are in bits and pieces.

There are a lot of digital amps at this price range and I am interested in joining lot 5.  Something is up with this amp since two many bought into it without hearing it.

For us Digital Amp novices, can somebody share why this amp is so special?  I would be grateful to know and learn.

Thank you.

Thats a great question. In many way its a leap of faith. Mike came up with the concept / was involved in the design (not sure of the exact wording for his role) for the input buffer for the Nord OneUp (Hypex NC500 based amp). This was a real game changer for class D and pushed it into high end performance, but at a budget price. Mike has kept on developing that platform to higher and higher levels of performance. He was then one of the first to test this new IceEdge 1200AS2 amp and feels it surpasses previous class D at a cheaper price point. So a win-win situation, and those who have heard it so far seem to think the same. They have sung its praises.

Ice Power has also poured huge amounts of money and time into the development of these amp modules, and the technology and specs are too tantalising for many of us to ignore.

So its a combination of excellent engineering and positive feedback from someone who knows what they are doing.

k6davis

« Reply #2095 on: 11 Jan 2018, 01:03 am »
He was then one of the first to test this new IceEdge 1200AS2 amp and feels it surpasses previous class D at a cheaper price point. So a win-win situation, and those who have heard it so far seem to think the same. They have sung its praises.

I agree with all that Audiogeek2 wrote. I'll supplement his comments by adding some emphasis.

You can go back through the thread to confirm this, but Mike has been very effusive in his praise for this amp (module). He has considerable experience modifying the highly regarded Hypex NC500 module to performance levels well beyond what was commercially available and Mike says that the IceEdge provides the best sound he's yet heard from his speakers.

In addition, Mike has gone above and beyond to provide very high quality in the (other) parts, design and construction of the finished product at a price that's reasonable to say the least.

Based on all of this, those of us that have already ordered decided to take a leap of faith. The first amps will be arriving in people's homes in days so customer listening impressions are forthcoming.

gregfisk

• Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #2096 on: 11 Jan 2018, 01:08 am »
Thats a great question. In many way its a leap of faith. Mike came up with the concept / was involved in the design (not sure of the exact wording for his role) for the input buffer for the Nord OneUp (Hypex NC500 based amp). This was a real game changer for class D and pushed it into high end performance, but at a budget price. Mike has kept on developing that platform to higher and higher levels of performance. He was then one of the first to test this new IceEdge 1200AS2 amp and feels it surpasses previous class D at a cheaper price point. So a win-win situation, and those who have heard it so far seem to think the same. They have sung its praises.

Ice Power has also poured huge amounts of money and time into the development of these amp modules, and the technology and specs are too tantalising for many of us to ignore.

So its a combination of excellent engineering and positive feedback from someone who knows what they are doing.

I don't recall Mike saying that he is doing anything to these modules, am I missing something?

Photon46

« Reply #2097 on: 11 Jan 2018, 01:23 am »
I don't recall Mike saying that he is doing anything to these modules, am I missing something?

No, you are correct. He has said in prior posts that there was no need for an additional input buffer to be added to these amp modules. The Mivera contributions are the casework and choice of wiring/connections.

I doubt this is the first audio amplifier with this marketing/design concept. From what I gather in reviews, the Bel Canto Ref600's are pretty much the same - stock Hypex modules and Bel Canto contributed the casework and wiring/connector choices. I don't recall any mention of Bel Canto engineering an input buffer or power supply modification for them. If I am wrong about this, please correct me.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2098 on: 11 Jan 2018, 02:00 am »
No, you are correct. He has said in prior posts that there was no need for an additional input buffer to be added to these amp modules. The Mivera contributions are the casework and choice of wiring/connections.

I doubt this is the first audio amplifier with this marketing/design concept. From what I gather in reviews, the Bel Canto Ref600's are pretty much the same - stock Hypex modules and Bel Canto contributed the casework and wiring/connector choices. I don't recall any mention of Bel Canto engineering an input buffer or power supply modification for them. If I am wrong about this, please correct me.

The NC-500’s have an input impedance of 1.8k. So they pretty much need an input buffer to make a commercially viable amp out of them. They also don’t have enough gain. The stock Hypex buffer (which was originally only developed as a dirt cheap way for OEM’s to test drive the modules) adds 14.6dB of gain, and most 3rd party buffers add around the same. The Bel Canto amp does use their own buffer design, however it’s very basic with about $10 worth of parts including a $1 IC opamp. Most class D amps sold through traditional dealer chains, regardless of price have under $20 invested into the input buffer. This was a huge reason why many didn’t like Ncore amps before the Nords came out. The NC-500 modules themselves are outstanding. In my 8th gen design I used a passive autoformer buffer, with hybrid Weiss OP2-BP based active buffer for use with weak source gear. But with that amp the cost of my buffer was about 25x the cost of the NC-500 module itself. Not exactly economically feasible to market. Audiogeek2 has the only one I ever sold.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2099 on: 11 Jan 2018, 02:11 am »
Speaking of Ncore, I just got an email last night that all of the NC500MP and NC252MP amps have been recalled for safety reasons. So they want OEM’s to return all modules. That would be a real PITA if you already sold hundreds. I’m glad I only bought the 502.