IDA-6 and STA-6 are seriously good but so cheap you might have ignored them

rustydoglim

We don't have much feedback from people about IDA-6 and STA-6 yet.  I know, most audiophiles probably ignore them since they are too cheap.
The STA-6 at $399 is perfect for home audio projects or installation use.
IDA-6 lacks USB input but you can add the Encore mDSD.

JM

Just ordered an STA-6 to add a little more omph to my minimalist all digital system. I have a NAD D 7050 (power DAC). I'll bu using the NAD just as a DAC/pre driving the STA-6.

I'll report back after I have the time to break in and have some good listening sessions...

JM

Yeah, seriously good sounds very much appropriate... :-)

This little guy is quite something. Complete control over my speakers. Very transparent and neutral. Really disappears sonically and visually. I've been playing with my digital front end and can tell easily the differences between DAC/Pre.

I'm considering getting a second one for dual mono amplification. Hopping to improve channel separation and imaging.

I'm amazed by the sound this minimalist system can reproduce:
(and I've been around the block many times in the past 20 years...)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Hi, JM.

What is the small box (with a dial on top?) that is in front of your Mac Mini in the first photo?

JM

That's a USB DAC/pre/headphone amp, the Fulla 2. I primarily use it in my home office with HD600 headphones, but it is extremely capable of producing high end sound in a good speaker system. A minimalist setup for sure... I'm amazed to see how far (digital) audio has come in the past years.

mresseguie

Attention, Rustydoglim:

How well will the IDA-6 power a single pair of MTM speakers that are approximately 88dB 4 ohm? I'm primarily interested in using the IDA-6 for TV sound for my brother-in-law. He and his wife are not audiophiles, but I see this as a potential way to get them more interested in listening to music.

Michael

rustydoglim

I think it will be perfect for non audiophiles getting into this hobby.  IDA-6 has 60Wx2 RMS power, so it should be sufficient for the speaker.

mresseguie

Cool. Thank you.

I'll contact my brother-in-law about this. He was planning on getting a cheap sound bar, but the IDA-6 is a much better option (and free for him since it'll be a house warming gift).

I read the description last night....I can add the blue tooth USB dongle just like in the IDA-8, correct?

Michael

rustydoglim

Not for IDA-16, it was designed before we standardize on the digital SPDIF port for Bluetooth and WiFi. Therefore you need to use optical input with a Bluetooth receiver (<$30 on Amazon)

envydd

I am thinking of trying an IDA-6 or STA-6+muDSD. Which one would have a more neutral sound? 

Are the 6 series very far away from the IDA-8?

thx

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Interested in this as well, there has been so little info that is not directly from NuPrime regarding the sixes, that it is hard to have an informed opinion.

I am confused about your options though, envydd.  The IDA-6 lacks a USB input, while the uDSD only has a USB input.  So from one scenario to the other, you cannot use the same source.  Which is your source?

Best regards,
Rafa.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2018, 05:00 am by RafaPolit »

envydd

Same source in FLAC or dsd

Mac -> optical out -> ida-6
Or
Mac -> udsd -> sta6

rustydoglim

IDA-8, IDA-6, STA-6, STA-9 are quite similar in design.
IDA-6 and STA-6 sounded very similar due to nearly identical amp.  They are a little more neutral than IDA-8.
IDA-8 being all-in-one, all-purpose amp has the power and slightly warmer sound. It is sort of in the middle of the pack.
STA-9 has more warmth and power.
IDA-6 and STA-6 are on the other side of the scale, less power and neutral.

envydd

IDA-8, IDA-6, STA-6, STA-9 are quite similar in design.
IDA-6 and STA-6 sounded very similar due to nearly identical amp.  They are a little more neutral than IDA-8.
IDA-8 being all-in-one, all-purpose amp has the power and slightly warmer sound. It is sort of in the middle of the pack.
STA-9 has more warmth and power.
IDA-6 and STA-6 are on the other side of the scale, less power and neutral.

Thank you @rustydoglim for the class-D answer (rapid, crisp, neutral!). I just ordered an IDA-6 and will get back within 1-2 weeks after I receive it (and listen a bit). My comparison points would be a Yamaha receiver and a Nuforce DIA tiny amp (I still love it).

left channel

• Everyone wants to date my avatar
I took a risk and ordered an STA-6 based on size and price alone, but found the sound far closer to neutral than I'd hoped. However I was so impressed with the overall build and sound quality, I took a chance on an STA-9 and am very glad I did. I love the warm sound of the STA-9.

envydd

I  just got a IDA-6 since the amp section is nearly identical to the the STA-6. Its still breaking in and the sound is very neutral (and maybe a little dry for many people), which is what I wanted given my speakers (KEF LS50).

Does the STA-6 have a soft hum when you place your ears against the speaker. I have not had this experience with my old (and cheap) Nuforce amps. Maybe I got a lemon?

left channel

• Everyone wants to date my avatar
Does the STA-6 have a soft hum when you place your ears against the speaker. I have not had this experience with my old (and cheap) Nuforce amps. Maybe I got a lemon?

That is probably a ground loop. You can fix the problem by moving the power plug to a different power strip on a different outlet, or by using a Hum X filter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E4YI8/  My STA-9 was inserting a hum, and both fixes worked. I wanted it to stay on the same power strip as the other audio equipment, so I decided to use a Hum X.

envydd

Folks, I wanted to resurrect the thread since it has been a bit more than a month since I got my IDA6. I agree with Jason - overlooked product. Initially I couldn't feel it was much better than my yamaha receiver. So I just left it on for 1mo and played some internet radio at low volumes. Now the setup sounds very different - crisp, open, deep bass/midrange (treble could be a *little* more) - just enough warmth for my liking (DDA120 is dry).

Except for my very occasional greed to douse the LS50 with more power (its a power hungry speaker), this is a very nice setup for casual listening. I guess I could have selected the cheaper KEF Q100 or the ELAC Uni speakers too but whatever .... I would like to a powerful NuP setup for the living room and re-use the IDA6 for my study for low volume casual listening.

My setup (casual listening in my living during browsing/reading):
- KEF LS50 (white!) + IDA6
- mac or chromecast via TOSLINK mostly
- 24/192 tracks downloaded from HDtracks and "high res" youtube tracks FWIW!
- positioning - LS50 <-- 9ft --> my couch, and LS50 <-- 7ft --> LS50. Room: 20x20. Speakers 10" from wall on 2' wood cabinets

I have also compared the amp with a Nuforce DDA120 and the KEF Q100  combo and the IDA sounds more full bodied (but the Q100/DDA120 is no slouch).

Thx Jason and the team for such clean sound/design. One nitpick: I wish it had pre-outputs :)