Bryston BDP-Pi

schmidtmike76

Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #80 on: 30 Oct 2016, 12:22 am »
I have had my Pi playing for half a day now and really enjoy it. 

I fretted over nothing set up was a breeze and literally took 1 minute.

Sound quality is amazing high resolution tracks are new and even the wife listening to Metallica said it sounded good. 

Bryston this another amazing piece of engineering great work and thank you.

Anyone feel free to ask me any questions I honestly don't mind

Krutsch

« Reply #81 on: 30 Oct 2016, 05:32 pm »

Anyone feel free to ask me any questions I honestly don't mind

Congratulations and very cool to hear that everything worked out.

You mentioned earlier that you ripped your CDs to AIFF; did you do that with iTunes?

Then, I assume, you copied your iTunes Media / Music folder onto a USB disc and plugged it into the BDP-Pi?

Are you experiencing any tagging or album art issue?

Thanks, in advance.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #82 on: 30 Oct 2016, 06:56 pm »
Yes I did rip my cd's to AIFF via iTunes.  That worked very well had error correction on and 95% of albums came with artwork if they didn't I just added artwork or find artwork from iTunes menu.

Bryston app that comes with the IP address displays art work of the album cover.  MPoD on my iPhone does not.  On my iPhone I find mpod to be easier to navigate through except the radio stations Bryston app is king there.

I then copied "music" file only so I didn't drag movies etc over.  The only issue and I'm sure someone will have answer is my songs are out of order for that album.  Not all I found if the were tagged as track 01-02 etc then they are in order.  I'm sure that's a easy fix.  This album art adding a jpg file etc I still don't get because all the album work is there via Bryston app.

Anyone know how to get tracks back in proper order. 

This is so slick but I see what everyone talks about a iPad or mini would be easier to navigate but I'm not having any issues.

Krutsch

« Reply #83 on: 30 Oct 2016, 07:09 pm »

Bryston app that comes with the IP address displays art work of the album cover.  MPoD on my iPhone does not.  On my iPhone I find mpod to be easier to navigate through except the radio stations Bryston app is king there.

I then copied "music" file only so I didn't drag movies etc over.  The only issue and I'm sure someone will have answer is my songs are out of order for that album.  Not all I found if the were tagged as track 01-02 etc then they are in order.  I'm sure that's a easy fix.  This album art adding a jpg file etc I still don't get because all the album work is there via Bryston app.

Anyone know how to get tracks back in proper order. 

This is so slick but I see what everyone talks about a iPad or mini would be easier to navigate but I'm not having any issues.

On the MPoD album art issue... MPD apps (MPoD, MPaD or Soundirock) will want a "folder.jpg" in each album's folder for the album art. The Bryston web interface generates these from the artwork embedded in the actual music file.

For the former, if you are using iTunes in a Mac, can be autogenerated using this:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=savealbumart

What you can do is create a "Smartplaylist" in iTunes that contains track #1 for each album in your collection. Then, select that playlist and invoke the above script, which will export a "folder.jpg" for each album into the album's folder.

For the latter issue, tracks playing back out of order, this is exactly the same issue I had with AIFF when using the Bryston web interface (Manic Moose). I've reported the issue a number of times, but I am not aware of any way to fix the problem. This was why I asked the question: how are things working out with AIFF.

But, it sounds like you have a good experience, other than these two issues. Glad to hear.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #84 on: 3 Nov 2016, 01:59 am »
Thanks I will try that.

On a side note can I plug a coax cable and a USB out to my dac at the same time so I can A/B test.  I have a eichmann coax and a cardas USB serial bus coming and I would like to hear the difference without unplugging one and plugging in another. 

Jpktenere

« Reply #85 on: 4 Nov 2016, 01:00 pm »
Oh ya finally got the pi last night install went pretty smooth.. got it playing from a thumb drive and a HHD quickly and started making playlist. Right away sounded better than a cheap laptop I was using.. The one question I have is about the Tidal streaming so I see the Tidal beta app in the app toolbox is this correct? Also is there any other way to steam Tidal or is the app beta the only option using a iPad Air as interface

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #86 on: 4 Nov 2016, 02:05 pm »
You could try one of the other renderers found under services? I havn't used the new Shairport-Sync implementation much what little i have used has worked pretty well, should allow your iPad see the Pi as an AirPlay device.

Cheers,
Chris

Jpktenere

« Reply #87 on: 4 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm »
Ok so having a hard time getting the iPad to see the pi as an airplay device.. in the dashboard going to settings then services checking shareport sync then turning it on go to iPad bottom slide up menu pick airplay mirroring then it says searching for Apple TV and it finds nothing what am I doing wrong?

Jpktenere

« Reply #88 on: 7 Nov 2016, 11:49 pm »
Alright got the  sharepoint sync to work on the iPad but still was not getting any output hooked up a digital coax and bang working good! So is this the way it is supposed to be  sharepoint dose not output via USB? Got about 100 hours on and kicking butt know...

schmidtmike76

« Reply #89 on: 8 Nov 2016, 01:55 am »
When I want to update my portable drive on my mac do I have to shut the power off on the back when I unplug the drive.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #90 on: 8 Nov 2016, 11:07 am »
When I want to update my portable drive on my mac do I have to shut the power off on the back when I unplug the drive.

Hi

No you do not have to power down the Pi.

james

Paul2016

« Reply #91 on: 10 Nov 2016, 01:26 am »
Is it true that the OLED screen is disabled when connected to a USB DAC?

Jpktenere

« Reply #92 on: 10 Nov 2016, 02:33 pm »
Mine works just fine with USB DAC...

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #93 on: 10 Nov 2016, 06:26 pm »
Hi

No you do not have to power down the Pi.

james

It's suppose to,but some firmware releases have escaped into the wild that don't behave as intended.  This is done to prevent the spi bus (used by the display) from interfearing with the USB bus during playback

Paul2016

« Reply #94 on: 25 Nov 2016, 07:40 pm »
Finally auditioned the BDP-Pi, the dealer got the kinks out and I brought along my thumbdrives one with WAV files the other with AIFF for comparison. A Rotel Pre/Amp combination connect to Bryston Mini T's was used. I much preferred the sound from the AIFF files. The BDP-Pi is a very capable player only gripe is that it must be connected through an ethernet cable to the router in order to use the iPad or iPhone as the controller, no Bluetooth

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #95 on: 26 Nov 2016, 03:35 pm »
As convient as wireless is Blutooth only has a fraction of the bandwidth needed for lossless files and as such would play them back with the detail of a lossy file.  For those thateother can't run a wired cable or would prefer not to we recommend using either a powerline AV kit or a wireless bridge.

Cheers
Chris

zoom25

« Reply #96 on: 26 Nov 2016, 06:50 pm »
Finally auditioned the BDP-Pi, the dealer got the kinks out and I brought along my thumbdrives one with WAV files the other with AIFF for comparison. A Rotel Pre/Amp combination connect to Bryston Mini T's was used. I much preferred the sound from the AIFF files. The BDP-Pi is a very capable player only gripe is that it must be connected through an ethernet cable to the router in order to use the iPad or iPhone as the controller, no Bluetooth

Were the thumb drives the same brand and model? First time I'm hearing someone prefer AIFF over WAV. Usually people say its identical. Only a select few prefer WAV over AIFF. Never seen it go the other way.

Paul2016

« Reply #97 on: 29 Nov 2016, 05:14 pm »
Same brand and same capacity of Thumb Drives, same Roxio software was used to convert the original CD's in a Mac platform. Just seemed the sound stage was much bigger with the AIFF files

zoom25

« Reply #98 on: 29 Nov 2016, 05:17 pm »
Same brand and same capacity of Thumb Drives, same Roxio software was used to convert the original CD's in a Mac platform. Just seemed the sound stage was much bigger with the AIFF files

Hmm, thanks for the feedback. I used to use Roxio Toast Titanium as well in the past, but it messed with the metadata. XLD on the other hand is flawless and very rarely ever gives errors (1 in 400 albums). Enjoy the AIFF  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #99 on: 2 Dec 2016, 05:18 pm »
Bryston Pi

Chris:

I wish to extend my thanks and appreciation in getting the streaming feature working for the Squeezelite service. 

I am putting the system through its paces now and am really pleased with what I am hearing.

Regards!

Peter