tried replacing metal wood screws on your speakers

dyfromhawaii

tried replacing metal wood screws on your speakers
« on: 12 Oct 2014, 12:32 am »
with brass flat head philips wood screws?

I did, to my back-up inexpensive speaker, the stock Pioneer SP-BS22-LR ...used it per unclestu on AA.  used #8 x 3/4" brass screws...it fit flush on the 4 screws each for the tweeter and the binding post section in back, but not completely flush at the head of the screws for the woofers.

What an inexpensive improvement! Sounded more clearer, more dimensionality..perhaps on the woofers I should have used #8 x 5/8" screws, but all the screws were the same length.

YMMV

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: tried replacing metal wood screws on your speakers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2014, 12:50 am »

YMMV

Indeed, my mileage does vary...in toto

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2014, 01:21 am »
Based on Young's modulus, brass cannot be tightened to the same torque values.

They will stretch and fail before the supplied low carbon steel fasteners originally provided.

Having the woofers come loose=not good.

dyfromhawaii

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2014, 01:41 am »
As Unclestu says, what speaker manufacturer does provide torque specs on their screws?

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:18 am »
I wouldn't worry about torque specs and stretching bolts when screwing into MDF.   :)

Sounds like a fun experiment, DY. Maybe the reduced contact area between screw and driver flange has something to do with it? I don't think the brass material would be the cause, but could be part of it.
Rich

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2014, 02:53 pm »
I've had friends run into that, but they were bolting 18s with quad-stacked motors for car stereo SPL competition purposes :D

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:27 pm »
This is a old tweak first suggested by Michael Green. It also applies to fasteners on equipment enclosures. 

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:35 pm »
I was looking at my LGK's last night, and thinking about trying this.

I see two possible ways this could improve things.  Brass in non magnetic, which could help since the screws are close to the large magnets in the speaker.  I normally use brass hardware in my projects because of their non magnetic properties.

Other reason is for dispersion.  My current screws are pan head, replacing with flat head screws should put the screw heads closer to the speaker, so they will cause less dispersion interference.  I would hope this would help imaging.  As an aside, the LGKs already have great imaging, but there is always room for improvement.

Randy