Novice NAS questions

robcentola

Novice NAS questions
« on: 20 Oct 2014, 06:23 pm »
Hi guys,

I just bought the Synology 214+ and I'm very excited. However, I have no experience with these things and I have a couple of questions.

1. I have music and vid on a portable HD and my laptop that are the same. When I put all the data on the 214+, will it see the redundancy? Meaning will it delete, or at least me to delete, these repeated files or do I have to go in, one by one, to straighten his out?

2. I see the "Audio station" but I read a lot about Minimserver here. Do I forget about Audio Station and install Minimserver, or is it OK to run both. If not, why? I want the best possible that will work with the Aries I'm about to buy.

I think those two points are my main questions, but I just ordered the thing and it will be here in a couple days, so I'll have more questions as the events unfold.

Thanks in advance for the answers to such rookie questions.

Rob

richidoo

Re: Novice NAS questions
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2014, 06:50 pm »
The NAS won't notify you of duplicate files, but your copying software will notify you if the file names are the same.  The file coppying software (windows explorer, etc) will not look at the metadata within the song files, so track name and other metadata duplicates will not be reported, only filename dupes. Then it wlil give you the option to overwrite or skip that file, also gives the option to repeat your answer on all the remaining files subject to the copy command.

If the filenames are the same but the folder names they are in are different then there will be no conflict and the copy won't generate a warning and you will have to delete them manually.  The copying software is not smart enough to know that it already copied that song somewhere else. But if the folder structiure of both collections is the same then dupe folders and files should get trapped. Dupe folders will invite a merge.

There is always a lot of manual work involved in maintaining an orderly  music folder.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:02 pm »
You will want to use Minimserver for your ARIES.

robcentola

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:57 pm »
The NAS won't notify you of duplicate files, but your copying software will notify you if the file names are the same.  The file coppying software (windows explorer, etc) will not look at the metadata within the song files, so track name and other metadata duplicates will not be reported, only filename dupes. Then it wlil give you the option to overwrite or skip that file, also gives the option to repeat your answer on all the remaining files subject to the copy command.

If the filenames are the same but the folder names they are in are different then there will be no conflict and the copy won't generate a warning and you will have to delete them manually.  The copying software is not smart enough to know that it already copied that song somewhere else. But if the folder structiure of both collections is the same then dupe folders and files should get trapped. Dupe folders will invite a merge.

There is always a lot of manual work involved in maintaining an orderly  music folder.

Thanks you.

robcentola

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:41 pm »
Well, I've got my new NAS up and running. Minimserver is awesome too.

I've been trying to install Bubble, but just can't seem to figure it out from the directions on their page. I

think I want this for video, or at least compare it to Video Station. If anyone has any insight, please share.

Thanks!