"Chesty vocals, hollow pianos"

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
"Chesty vocals, hollow pianos"
« on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:27 pm »
They're on to me!

Over on audioasylum there's a thread where a poster complains about speakers not sounding like live music.  To be helpful, I made oblique reference (mentioning no names) to our live-vs-recorded sessions at the Alexis Park and Flamingo Hotel during CES/THE SHOW these past three years.  Obviously, someone familiar with my methods wondered if I didn't employ musicians whose "colored" sound matched my speakers, as in "scratchy" violas, "hollow" pianos, "chesty vocals" and the like.

I can't get away with anything.

Brax

Re: "Chesty vocals, hollow pianos"
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:53 pm »
Some people just have to be negitive. I am still suprised you don't receive more press for this demo. Other speakers companies talk about sound quality, your actually proving it. One of these years, I'm going to make it to Vegas to hear the demo for myself.

The one thing that did interest me was this year you used a tube amp if I remember correctly.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:14 pm »
You can't please everyone, Brian.  Any hobby that caters to our senses will be subjected to personal preferences.

Take a look at this WSJ article on this man's  Quixotic effort to "normalize" wine tasting.  I liken audio to fine wine.

Some will like your product and some won't.  Nobody is wrong. 

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:46 pm »
One of VMPS speakers greatest strengths (or weaknesses depending on the user) is tunability.  I can tune my RM30s to get "Chesty vocals, hollow pianos". But that's not my musical preference so I tune them for "full, airy vocals and harmonically rich pianos."  But that's just me.

PLMONROE

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2011, 04:53 am »
There will always be those that just don't get the message. But look at the bright side Brian -- to the best of my knowledge no one has yet suggested you be brought in front of Pontius Pilate.

Paul

Hipper

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2011, 10:31 am »
Sorry to be a bit of a pedant here but there is a flaw in the original argument.

If someone has chesty vocals and the speaker then applies a chesty vocal hue to the sound the result is surely a 'very chesty vocal'!

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2011, 04:54 pm »
From the responses there I gather some posters like chesty vocalists.

wywires

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2011, 04:57 pm »
Personally, I like chesty vocalists