more BRAND NEW high end AVA components

dB Cooper

Re: more BRAND NEW high end AVA components
« Reply #121 on: 11 Oct 2011, 12:12 am »
They even look a lot better with the nifty little diffuse blue LED turned on.  It might even make them sound better too.

Frank

Probably especially good for the blues  :duh:

guest1632

« Reply #122 on: 11 Oct 2011, 07:39 am »
Regarding an Aikido all tube preamp.  We have already done that here as a prototype, multiple regulated power supplies and all.  When that circuit has to drive a load, we actually like the existing T8 better.  End of story.

Regards,

Frank

P.S.  I suppose we could do the new Fet Valve preamp and DAC in the old standard black faceplates, but we feel that would dilute the product identification too much.  Bad enough that we are still doing the Fet Valve power amps with the old faceplates.  Cost savings would not be much, we still have to pay for the new faceplates whether you want them or not.

Hi Frank,

Could you elaborate a bit on this dealing with driving a load?

As for your faceplates, I'm not saying to go back to the old style, I'm just saying have a few black ones around. I don't think that hurts Your ID at all.

Ok, so then if the T8 and the Ultra FET Valve sound relatively similar, but this new "FET Valve" preamp is more detailed, "relaxed presentation" then are you going to just leave the T8 alone, or is there any way of improving it at all, to bring it up to the standards of the newer Preamp?

I have a psychological problem in that, both the T8 and the Ultra V were similar in performance. now you have a newer better model. The T8 is no longer top dog.

Ray Bronk

modular747

« Reply #123 on: 11 Oct 2011, 01:55 pm »
Hi Frank,

I have a psychological problem in that, ...The T8 is no longer top dog.

How does Frank deal with that?  That's the nature of progress!!  As Frank once said, if you want your model always to be "top dog", buy it just as the company is going out of business. 

FYI, the tubes in his Fet Valve hybrid circuits don't drive real world loads and effectively work as voltage amplifiers only, without having to supply significant current - the most linear function for them.  In the all tube models, the tubes have to drive the current loads of the cable capacitance and inductance as well as the input impedance of the downstream components.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #124 on: 11 Oct 2011, 09:07 pm »
Hi Frank,

Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or does the new FET Valve DAC, preamp and amp series have thicker faceplates than the old standard black faceplates?

P.S.  I suppose we could do the new Fet Valve preamp and DAC in the old standard black faceplates, but we feel that would dilute the product identification too much.  Bad enough that we are still doing the Fet Valve power amps with the old faceplates.  Cost savings would not be much, we still have to pay for the new faceplates whether you want them or not.

guest1632

« Reply #125 on: 11 Oct 2011, 09:51 pm »

FYI, the tubes in his Fet Valve hybrid circuits don't drive real world loads and effectively work as voltage amplifiers only, without having to supply significant current - the most linear function for them.  In the all tube models, the tubes have to drive the current loads of the cable capacitance and inductance as well as the input impedance of the downstream components.

Hi, Perhaps, he needs to discuss this problem with Blair over at Niteshade. He has worked on the problem with the Beacon III. But I do understand what you are saying.

Ray Bronk

rlee8394

« Reply #126 on: 12 Oct 2011, 01:07 am »
Of course the all tube units have the wonderful LME49600 current buffer as the headphone amp. This drives headphones very well and provides a nice load for the tube to operate as a voltage amp only. Frank usually provides two sets of preamp outputs by connecting the output to two RCA jacks simultaneously. Just back out the wire from the second RCA jack and connect a wire from the headphone output of the LME49600 and voila', you now have a high current drive from the T8. Same concept as adding the audio buffer board to the Super PAS 3. Since the headphone current output is unity gain, you can add the phase inverter board and get equal out of phase high current drive for bridging two common ground amps. I use this arrangement in my T8 to bridge a pair of Ultimate 70s. Works real well! Not as nice as having the LME49600 current buffer within the feedback loop as in the AvaStar, but better than having the tube alone driving a load.

Ron

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #127 on: 12 Oct 2011, 01:18 am »
Sweet!  :thumb:

trackball02

« Reply #128 on: 12 Oct 2011, 06:26 pm »
Those new faceplates are quite handsome. How close of a match is it to the Ultravalve faceplate which I think has a more gold appearance?

Wayner

« Reply #129 on: 12 Oct 2011, 06:37 pm »
It's not at all like the Ultravalve faceplate, which is anodized #5 Gold on a bead-blasted surface. The new Fet Valve faceplates have bead-blasted edges/chamfers and a brushed face, anodized a natural aluminum color, so they look "silver" or aluminum color, with black anodized graphics. Chassis remain black crinkle texture, powder-coat baked acrylic enamel, as they have been for quite a while.

Wayner

Minn Mark

« Reply #130 on: 12 Oct 2011, 07:35 pm »
Hope all attending RMAF this week have a great time, and lots of great listening.   Come back and tell us all about it.

M

avahifi

« Reply #131 on: 12 Oct 2011, 11:10 pm »

RMAF progress report.  Just checked into Best Western at Ogallala, NE for the nite after a nice 700 mile drive from Woodbury.  Will make Denver tomorrow in time for a relaxing setup.  More later.

Frank

Listens2tubes

« Reply #132 on: 12 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm »
SWEET! Can't wait for Friday! :hyper:

WGH

« Reply #133 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:26 am »
after a nice 700 mile drive from Woodbury. 

Thanks for the update. And that took you how long?
7 hours?
I've heard stories about your driving.  :)

Looks like you have great driving weather this year.

gjs_cds

« Reply #134 on: 13 Oct 2011, 01:59 am »
I must admit, I was skeptical when I heard the face plates went silver... But after seeing them--dang...they look cool!

guest1632

« Reply #135 on: 14 Oct 2011, 03:07 am »
Of course the all tube units have the wonderful LME49600 current buffer as the headphone amp. This drives headphones very well and provides a nice load for the tube to operate as a voltage amp only. Frank usually provides two sets of preamp outputs by connecting the output to two RCA jacks simultaneously. Just back out the wire from the second RCA jack and connect a wire from the headphone output of the LME49600 and voila', you now have a high current drive from the T8. Same concept as adding the audio buffer board to the Super PAS 3. Since the headphone current output is unity gain, you can add the phase inverter board and get equal out of phase high current drive for bridging two common ground amps. I use this arrangement in my T8 to bridge a pair of Ultimate 70s. Works real well! Not as nice as having the LME49600 current buffer within the feedback loop as in the AvaStar, but better than having the tube alone driving a load.

Ron

Hi Ron, Let's take this to a PM for more details. This would definitely be offtopic.

Ray Bronk

rlee8394

« Reply #136 on: 16 Oct 2011, 05:28 pm »
Ray,

PM sent.

Ron