ANNOUNCING THE BRAND NEW AVASTAR HYBRID PREAMPLIFIER!

werd

Re: ANNOUNCING THE BRAND NEW AVASTAR HYBRID PREAMPLIFIER!
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jan 2010, 05:05 pm »
that looks nice.... thanks Wayner.

modular747

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2010, 06:56 pm »
The front looks exactly like all other SL chassis preamp models, as expected.

avahifi

« Reply #22 on: 6 Jan 2010, 07:12 pm »
Yah, but you should see the insides, where all the real beauty is. :)

Regards,

Frank

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 6 Jan 2010, 07:12 pm »

Regards,

Frank

Lets see it!!!
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2010, 11:09 pm by jtwrace »

modular747

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jan 2010, 07:16 pm »
Frank, Im I correct in assuming that the big AvaStar circuit board isn't suitable for EC chassis?  Having never used the tone controls, filters or EPL on my Ultra EC, I'm beginning to think I don't need them...  I do find the Low Gain switch useful for matching different inputs (i.e. phono and DAC).

Do you have any plans for in house 6CG7 retrofit of Ultra preamps?

avahifi

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:45 pm »
Lets see it!  Just as soon as we can put together a spare new one for photographs.  Right now my "finished produce" is in the scuffiest old big chassis around here, used for generations of protoscrap circuits and not very pretty, kind of like the inside of a dead hippo.

Putting the new Vision board in an EC chassis.  The problem is what will you do with all the now none functional pretty tone control knobs and switches.  I guess we could do it (same upgrade policy) and everything should work except the tone controls.  I had not thought about that yet or tried it here.  I have not made a close examination to see if there would be any expensive "gotchas" yet.

If you want to send an Ultra or Fet Valve EC in for the upgrade we will certainly have go at it.

I suspect the best reason not to would be economics.  I think a good working EC series preamp should sell for much more the $500 chassis credit we can allow for recycling your chassis.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

charmerci

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jan 2010, 01:01 pm »
Frank,

so you're saying that the AvaStar is so much better than the Ultra EC  that it doesn't need tone controls? Even with old recordings (and late 60's rock recordings!) that don't sound very good?

avahifi

« Reply #27 on: 7 Jan 2010, 01:41 pm »
The AvaStar hybrid preamp line circuits do not support tone control loops.  There is a big conflict between the biasing for best performance of this unique circuit and what available tone control pots allow.

If you need tone controls, go for the Ultra+ EC or Insight+ EC models.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

modular747

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jan 2010, 05:52 pm »
You're right.  It wouldn't make much economic sense to retrofit an Ultra-EC just to get 2 more inputs, EPL and low gain switches.   It also doesn't seem cost effective for you to make a "hybrid" chassis and faceplate - EC without tone controls - just for the AVAStar model.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #29 on: 7 Jan 2010, 11:41 pm »
One way to aesthetically retrofit might be to include a new faceplate without the cutouts for the tone controls and extra buttons.  This would work unless the remaining knobs aren't in the same positions on the chassis.

Putting the new Vision board in an EC chassis.  The problem is what will you do with all the now none functional pretty tone control knobs and switches.  I guess we could do it (same upgrade policy) and everything should work except the tone controls.  I had not thought about that yet or tried it here.  I have not made a close examination to see if there would be any expensive "gotchas" yet.

Wayner

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jan 2010, 01:03 am »
That's probably a good idea, if the preamp isn't an older model that has the rectangular switches for upper functions. AVA tries very hard not to leave anyone out of the loop when upgrades are done, where/when possible. This is another reason why the design of the mechanics doesn't change very much. Fashion changes will leave many older customers in the dust. This is not part of the thinking. Recycling the chassis has always been a top priority and I'm sure that direction will not change.

Just my opinions however.

Wayner  :D

guest1632

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jan 2010, 06:54 am »

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

It's been interesting over the years to watch this preamp develop. You went from the 12at7 tubes to the 6N1P, and now the 6CG7 tube. From what I surmized, that the Insight Preamps were sounding just about as good as the Ultra preamp, with the Ultra not quite having the bass that the Insights did. So you just had to top it. That's awesome. Now for some questions?

So do you think you will ever go to a three prong cord with a detachable cord?

Did you ever look in to using a stepped attenuator? Yeah, I know they are more expensive than the standard volume pot.  I recently ran across a manufacturer on Audiogon, with a 48 stepped Attenuator, the ladder Series type for $129, and a shunt type for $99. The main advantage of the stepped Attenuator is the tracking of the volume. Some say they actually sound better than the standard carbon Volume Pot. Anyway, if interested, PM me  and I'll pass along the site to you. Honestly, not trying to post a commercial here, just telling people of the stepped Attenuator 48 step pot for a good price. 

Ray Bronk

guest1632

« Reply #32 on: 9 Jan 2010, 07:03 am »
The AvaStar hybrid preamp line circuits do not support tone control loops.  There is a big conflict between the biasing for best performance of this unique circuit and what available tone control pots allow.

If you need tone controls, go for the Ultra+ EC or Insight+ EC models.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Hi Frank,

So are you gonna upgrade the Hybrid amps too with the upgraded circuitry?

Ray Bronk

martyo

« Reply #33 on: 9 Jan 2010, 12:25 pm »
Post from Frank from earlier in the thread:
No, other than the fact that our Ultravalve tube amplifiers' new faceplates finally came in today and we can now ship, our Ultra and Insight power amps are still going strong and will remain our best amplifiers for a long time.  Of course they will sound better than ever with a Vision DAC and an AvaStar preamp ahead of them.

avahifi

« Reply #34 on: 9 Jan 2010, 04:04 pm »
Detachable power cords.

First, we only want a two wire AC connection, a polarized two conductor cord.  I have seen too many hum inducing ground loops when some equipment has three wire connections.  Of course some three wire units simply do not connect the third wire chassis ground inside the chassis to avoid this issue, which of course is not a safe thing to do as the three wire cord implies a different internal connection set than actually used.

Second, we really do not want to leave our clients a prey victim to those selling absurd $1000 power cords and such.  Who knows underneath the fancy dialog and purple prose how they are really and how well constructed?  Did they get the polarity right?  Too many risks for us to impose on our clients in the name of magic sound.

Yah my Oppo Blue Ray player has a really heavy three conductor removeable power cord.  Yah, for my convenience and listening and viewing pleasure it falls out of the chassis if you breath too hard on the player. 

Third, there simply are no decent two conductor AC sockets and cord connection sets of 16 gauge or higher.  All we can find are plastic things suitable for clock radios and such. We even have to have special order a solid two conductor polarized 16 gauge power cord for our equipment.

If any of you can come up with a solid and reliable two conductor polarized removable power cord set, please let me know.  However we would still get anguished cries because it is two conductor only, not usable with the customer's cherished three conductor cord set.

There is no way to win with this issue.  The object is the music, not the BS accessories.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Now back to the AvaStar preamplfier.  Further power cord comments in this thread will be deleted.

avahifi

« Reply #35 on: 9 Jan 2010, 04:14 pm »
Regarding "stepped attenuator," this is simply a fancy and expensive name for a volume pot.

Our volume controls match channels within a scope trace from full on to full off.  It would be pointless to put in an "audiophlake" grade control just to be able to write more fancy advertising literature and raise the prices more for that feature.

We build in what is necessary to get the the music out as perfectly as we know how to do and pass on those expensive bits that do nothing useful.  A stepped attenuator is going to have a jillion little swtich contacts, each subject to wear and drop out.  We have yet to have a Noble or Alps precision control fail over the years except for a detent spring issue with some Noble pots that we have resolved in house.

I really don't understand the questions regarding frivolious details instead of about the AvaStar performance itself.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #36 on: 9 Jan 2010, 04:21 pm »
So how many of you would pay $150 or so extra for an EC version of the new AvaStar preamp that included 8 sets of switchable inputs instead of six, and in addition to the standard functions, a switchable EPL in and out loop, and a front panel "Low Gain" function?  No tone controls.

We could do this with another new faceplate and a rework of the EC switch board.  Actually we could do this with the Insight preamp too.

We also could do this with any earlier EC based unit being upgraded to an AvaStar.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rcag_ils

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jan 2010, 05:36 pm »
I would not pay $150.00 extra for more inputs that I wouldn't use. But that doesn't mean that others wouldn't have the need. I don't even know what the heck "balance outputs and inputs" are, what so balance about them?

All I need are inputs for phono, tuner, two tapes loops (I don't even think I'd need two), and maybe one or two extra.

I don't have any surround sound, all as suchl should be keep as options.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 9 Jan 2010, 07:25 pm »

If any of you can come up with a solid and reliable two conductor polarized removable power cord set, please let me know. 
Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Now back to the AvaStar preamplfier.  Further power cord comments in this thread will be deleted.

http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/204_390365502/powerCON_20_Amp_productlist.aspx and they are locking.

trebejo

« Reply #39 on: 9 Jan 2010, 07:34 pm »
I think the need for different inputs is going down nowadays, with equipment at the performance level of AVA. The user will probably have some kind of (fancy?) DAC and that would be the gadget requiring multiple inputs.

The "low gain" button sounds like a good idea. If it does not otherwise harm performance, then by pressing it the user might be able to put the volume knob nearest its "best" setting. If it's done right (which it will be, surely!), then it'd be worth paying something extra for it.

Actually, I have been wondering about this for a little while, how does the typical AVA preamp implement volume attenuation? I assume it can be modelled as a resistor in series, but is it optimized (i.e. resistance minimized) for 12 o'clock, or for full volume?