Warpspeed Optocoupler

Rclark

Warpspeed Optocoupler
« on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:35 am »

Let's seperate this from the Dodd buffer thread. I'm the list to try one out. Let's have impressions and builds in this thread, I think some build pics and documentation could be very handy for noobs like me.

pelliott321

Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2011, 02:00 pm »
First off let me say I have a love-hate relationship with the  Optocoupler.
I have tried it as a stand alone system attenuator, and as a replacement pot in the dodd buffer.  Without a moments hesitation I can say this thing sounds great.  As a stand alone attenuator it was the cleanest sound I have heard in my system.  It was lacking a little life but that turns out to be a result of longish interconnects to my amps(across the room).  When I replaced the pot in the dodd with the Optocoupler, problems solved.  All the life, involvement with the music is there.  Just sucks you in.  Man the best my system has ever sounded.
you ask whats the other side of the coin?  I simply do not like the fact that all components except the LDR's are potted.  Same problem with the dodd buffer.  I like knowing whats going on.
I think the dodd buffer is a great item also, especially with 6 volt Russian tube (in my system).
When I have time I want to give the Optocoupler a try in my tube preamp.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:32 pm »
Let's seperate this from the Dodd buffer thread. ...

Thanks for starting the Thread. I'll answer as best as I can here...although most of the info are at diyAudio. If I'm allowed to post links here I will.

First off let me say I have a love-hate relationship with the Optocoupler.
...result of longish interconnects to my amps(across the room). ...I simply do not like the fact that all components except the LDR's are potted.

I hope you just hate it for being potted...? :)

It was meant to be diy all the way but actions of some members at diyA looked like they needed a little riddle...sorry to all innocent bystanders.

May we know how long are your interconnects?

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2011, 06:59 pm »
If this was an open source project, I would agree but these circuits are to be protected from an IP point of view. It is astounding that they are available for the DIY market.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:54 am »
What are "potted" components?

srb

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:14 am »
What are "potted" components?

Components that are completely encapsulated in some kind of sealing resin, usually epoxy.  This has been done for years in automotive, aerospace and other industrial applications to protect against moisture, mechanical stress and thermal stress.

It seems to be most often employed in home audio equipment to protect against piracy of circuit designs.

Steve
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 08:30 am by srb »

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:53 am »
High voltage circuits often potted too. (eg electrostatics)

praedet

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:11 pm »
First off let me say I have a love-hate relationship with the  Optocoupler.
I have tried it as a stand alone system attenuator, and as a replacement pot in the dodd buffer.  Without a moments hesitation I can say this thing sounds great.  As a stand alone attenuator it was the cleanest sound I have heard in my system.  It was lacking a little life but that turns out to be a result of longish interconnects to my amps(across the room).  When I replaced the pot in the dodd with the Optocoupler, problems solved.  All the life, involvement with the music is there.  Just sucks you in.  Man the best my system has ever sounded.
you ask whats the other side of the coin?  I simply do not like the fact that all components except the LDR's are potted.  Same problem with the dodd buffer.  I like knowing whats going on.
I think the dodd buffer is a great item also, especially with 6 volt Russian tube (in my system).
When I have time I want to give the Optocoupler a try in my tube preamp.
So, did you put it in the buffer, or do you have it in the signal path outside?  Any pics?

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:27 pm »
Link to the diyaudio thread for those unfamiliar with Warpspeed
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/176847-warpspeed-optocoupler-volume-control.html

Is there a PCB or parts kit?

nicksgem10s

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:02 pm »
Hi guys,

I have been meaning to start a new thread about this topic but now that has been done  :thumb:

It is available as a parts kit from Blues on DIYaudio.

I was one of the first purchasers of the kit.  Let's just say I did not take my time with the kit and fried the optocouplers.  This is probably putting it gently.

Blues is a really helpful, intelligent, and kind gentleman.

Instead of ordering another kit and worrying about the build I approached him about a completed unit.

I have a 5 month old son (1st child) so time for audio projects seems a distant memory at this point.

I received my completed unit a couple of months ago and have been using it as much as possible. 

Long story short is I absolutely love it.  It is amazing.  It is my reference volume control.  Here are some pictures if you are interested in what the assembled unit looked like directly from Blues.

At some point I will write an actual review and share it.

For now just let me say I do not surf the web looking for preamps or volume controls.

I have had a lot of excellent passives and actives and this is simply my favorite.

It is running on a 12v sla battery and sounds glorious.  It is my third LDR based volume control.

If your system is passive friendly you should run to try it.  He may still be offering an in home demo.

He is a great guy and was very patient with me.

When I have the time I will be building one from a kit later this year or next year.  It is superb :o

-Nick
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2011, 04:30 am by nicksgem10s »

TrungT

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm »
^^^^^
Very nice.
I love mine Warpspeed with the Dodd buffer.

JDUBS

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:22 pm »
^^^^^
Very nice.
I love mine Warpspeed with the Dodd buffer.

Trung, do you have any pics of the inside?  I'd like to see how involved the build is, if possible.

Thanks,
Jim

TrungT

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:34 pm »
 :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:35 pm »
PM me for the part list
 :wink:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:42 pm »
PM me for the part list

How about posting it? 

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2011, 11:27 pm »
Is there a PCB or parts kit?

Here's the info and link to the kit... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/178839-warpspeed-optocoupler-volume-control-kit.html

An inside pic of my proto which is also the Traveling@Warpspeed unit...

Thanks for your kind words, nicksgem10s...

I have several requests for an Unbalanced only fully-built unit...seriously considering it.

usp1

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:07 am »
Wow...Nicksgems...that is stunning to look at. How much does something like that cost?

richidoo

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:11 am »
Beautiful work Warpspeed! Did you do the woodworking also? Thanks for the link to the kit.

JDUBS

« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:15 am »
PM me for the part list

PM'd.  Thank you, sir!   :thumb:

-Jim

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:34 am »
Can the VCCSs drive additional LEDs? (Specifically, is an 8 channel attenuator possible?)