Newbie to Headphones

tjwm338

Newbie to Headphones
« on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:26 pm »
Hi all.

Am a newbie in this forum and also a newbie to headphones.

Have a newborn at home. As such, my listening experience has been pretty limited to when only she is not sleep or absent. Am looking to invest in headphones to circumvent this problem.

I am not sure what's good or what's available in the market right now.

But here's a list of what I would like the headphones to have:
1) wireless
- can't have more wires running around

2) with an internal mic for phone calls

3) able to have some kind of a transmitter that can be connected to my integrated? My integrated only receives RCA.

4) of course, good and transparent sounding

5) headphones should also be closed, as much as possible

6) budget; not sure what's available out there, so I guess any recommendations from low to high end would be appreciated; perhaps I can try them out and then decide

Any recommendations based on the above?

Thanks in advance all.

Looking forward to participating actively and learning from all of you on this forum.

Cheers.

tj

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Newbie to Headphones
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2015, 02:46 am »
Welcome tj.  As a headphone purist of course the idea of wireless and good sound are diametrically opposed in my mind.  But that's what you need and it's your thread so, I believe Sennheiser has some wireless models with mics.  I haven't heard them, but other Sennheiser models have good sound quality so I would expect their wireless models to hold suit, after a fashion.  Your local Best Buy should have a model or two to listen to.  I'm pretty sure they come with a transmitter to attach to your receiver.  Maybe we have some wireless gurus that can improve on my limited knowledge.

For better sound quality I would suggest a decent inexpensive head amp, Schitt, Little Dot, Hifiman, and a wired headphone.  If you're willing to take that leap there's a much, much broader selection to choose from.

Regardless, best of luck on your search.

weatherman1

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2015, 05:37 am »
Very few products do all things well.  This link may be a good place for your search to begin and will give you a chance to see if your wish list can be fulfilled.  http://www.innerfidelity.com/category/wireless-headphone-reviews  Good hunting for some ear candy.  I own wireless Sennhieser that use KLEER technology and range is about 150 feet from the transmitter but in no way is the sonic quality as good as my HiFi Man, Audeze, or even my Senn HD650.  They are however limited by the length of the cords.

tjwm338

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2015, 06:06 pm »
Hi Letitroll98 & weatherman1,

Thanks very much for your quick replies.

Yes. I do realise after lurking around the forum that good quality wireless headphones are pretty limited. I will definitely check out the Senns and also the link that you sent me.

tj

BobC

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2015, 06:03 pm »
tj, as a father also with multiple small ones, allow me to suggest an open back design.  When the baby cries, or kids break something, or someone gets up in the middle of the night.... you'll need to hear it so you can react, and at least appear to be an engaged father so your wife doesn't go off.   :lol:  ...no, really.

BobC

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2015, 06:08 pm »
I've got Beyerdynamic t70p's and love them.  But they're closed, so the above scenarios have happened.  I only really get to listen to them either at my desk while working, or traveling (want a good, sealed IEM like my Ety ER-4P's, or closed while on the plane) , or in bed at night....and in this case, if I'm on kid duty, I need to crank up the baby monitor volume.

It would be nice to have a decent set of Grados for those situations.  You really need both depending on your environment and circumstance.