Thumbs up for Fritz Speakers and Fritz the man.

Ultralight

Thumbs up for Fritz Speakers and Fritz the man.
« on: 28 Jun 2015, 07:10 am »
Hope this is OK to post here. It is not a review for a particular pair of speakers, but more a thumbs up for Fritz's speakers in general.

In my room, I've had a wide range of speakers that have been here for testing including Totem, Martin Logan (electrostatic panels), Goldenear Tritons, KEF LS50, Clue, and a few others.  I drive everything with a Line Magnetic 518ia single ended tube amp rated at 22 watts though they push far more than a solid state 22 watts can ever dream off.  My DAC is a line magnetic 502 amp.   This is my first and only system and my speakers is the KEF LS50.  I got the KEF LS50 for its excellent timbre.  I tested the Fritz only after I had purchased the KEF LS50.

In short, there is something special about the Fritz.  I tested FOUR versions of his speakers ranging from the Morel all the way up the chain to his top of the line Berylium something.  Of all the speakers in my system, the Fritz speakers simply has that sense of ease, warm musicality and coherence when matched with my 22 watt SET amp that none of the other speakers could attain.   Though my LS50 has coincident drivers, the Fritz somehow felt more coherent.  Perhaps it is the phase - I'm not sure.  Depending on drivers, some Fritz speakers had more detail and transient speed than others.  But all had that same quality.Perhaps it is the series crossover. I have no idea.  But if I were to keep my amp/dac and start all over again with a two way speaker, it would be a Fritz. 

If you are in California, Fritz will be glad to visit your home and provide a personal audition.  He is probably the least pushy of any dealer/manufacturer I have ever met, and yet willing to share his observations and thoughts in a very helpful manner.

All bookshelf speakers were tested on 24 inch steel stands. To be fair, after the Fritz, I did drop my KEF LS50 down on different stands to about 16 inches off the ground and tilted upwards. That took the LS50 to a 'WHOA!' level when played at 70db average.   I have no idea how the Fritz would improve with that change in my room but my guess is that it will have a similar gain in performance. 

I gain nothing by posting this other than to commend the fine work by Fritz.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2015, 05:09 am by Ultralight »

R_burke

Re: Thumbs up for Fritz Speakers and Fritz the man.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:06 pm »
I've heard his speakers and spoken with him several times.  If I was in the market I would definitely consider his speakers. 

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2015, 04:07 pm »
Yep.  Fritz makes some good stuff. 

As good as the KEF LS50's are, I'd take his Morel 6's over em' any day of the week.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2015, 04:12 pm »
Hi, UL.

Nice write up.

Wish Fritz would move to Portland.

Do you know which Morel driver he uses?

Michael

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:25 am »
Yep, UL you nailed the sound I recall from 9 years ago, but they also showed well with solid state running very beefy power supplies.  Met Fritz at that show (AKFest in SE Michigan where he's from) and he was so easy to talk with I had no idea he had gear on display (his business was new then).  Had I known, I would have had lots more questions for him, like how you make a (popular) set of drivers sound so different (better) than other vendors?   :duh:

I'm a fan of having a taste of "warm/musical" because it makes everything sound better.  Why have a mega buck system that sounds stellar with only a few recordings and makes the rest sound unlistenable?
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2015, 01:08 pm by JLM »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:55 am »
I can only dream of being as cool and laid back as Fritz. Luv the guy, luv his work!

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2015, 01:04 pm »
How have I not heard of these before?  They sound like great starter/bedroom speakers.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2015, 01:36 pm »
How have I not heard of these before?  They sound like great starter/bedroom speakers.

Only you can answer that question- he has exhibited at many shows and is known to many.

And, they are far more than "starter/bedroom" speakers.

jdoris

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2015, 02:04 pm »
+1 for Fritzspeakers, and for Fritz himself, who is a very nice, no-nonsense, guy who is very generous with his time.

As for "bedroom speakers" I suppose it depends on your bedroom.  The model I'm most familiar with, Carbon 7 (I see there is now an "SE") are excellent smallish two-ways, retailing around 2k, which have a place on your list if you are auditioning up to 4k, anyway.  I would take them over the Dynaudio C1s, which go for 7k.

If you've got that coin for your bedroom or study, good for you.  If you are shopping at the relevant price point and design parameters for your main rig, Fritzspeakers may very well make you smile :)

R_burke

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2015, 02:07 pm »
Only you can answer that question- he has exhibited at many shows and is known to many.

Couldn't agree more, his speakers are listening room monitors

strateahed

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:34 pm »
Add me to the list of Fritz fans. I met him a couple of times at Cal Audio shows. Like others have said, Fritz is generous, knowledgeable, and an unassuming sort of guy. First time I out, he sat me down in the front row, put on my music, and then handed me the remote while talking to some other folks in the room. Then he came back to talk to me and my friend, answer our questions, and then offered to come out and set speakers up as part of his service. How cool is that!?!

On the second occasion, he was showing his newest monitors ... the Carbon 7 SE's I believe. It was a so-called "budget system", but sounded better than a lot of other way more expensive stuff at the show. I think I asked him twice, "are you sure there's no sub hiding somewhere in the room?" Fritz speakers just plain kick a--.   

ACHiPo

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2015, 08:11 pm »

No offense intended at all, so sorry if my free association filter wasn't engaged and a rhetorical question escaped.  I was out of audio for about 15 years (at least buying) so obviously missed these gems.

From the review they sounded similar to what I started with--a pair of Spica TC-50s, which in their day were quite respectable monitors (but considered starter speakers).  The Fritz speakers look like a modern (and higher end) version of a solid monitor that delivers impressive performance for the size. 

Anyway, thanks for bringing them up here so I could learn about them.

Regards,
AC

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2015, 08:29 pm »
Fritz makes fantastic speakers, and super value IMO. 

For DIY fans dreaming of cloning Fritz' performance, best wishes.  Fritz employs series crossover with the same components in the signal path of both drivers.  Any crossover design software must be specific to all drivers in the circuit, meaning there is no such software. 

Considering how big and bold is Fritz' performance for a given speaker size, I presume the crossover contributes much to the perceived value.  Joseph Audio's Pearl is possibly even more refined, but Fritz costs about 60% less. 

Fritz works better with low powered tube amps than any other passive similar-sensitivity speaker with which I'm familiar.     

« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2015, 07:59 pm by James Romeyn »

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2015, 09:03 pm »
You mean the Pulsar?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2015, 10:15 pm »
Whatever Joseph stand mount is circa $7k/pr.  Heard them both at 2014 RMAF.  Yes, Fritz used a better amp, Electra Fidelity A3-500 (300b) but the Parasound Halo stereo amp in the Joseph room is no slouch. 

I like Joseph speakers.  One might prefer Joseph's finish and cosmetic design, among the best, but OTOH Fritz does superb wood work (bird's eye maple was awesome).  Unconfirmed, but I strongly doubt Joseph works with an 11W tube amp as do Fritz (shocked how big and bold they sounded).   

And ditto, Fritz is a great guy.  Jeff is too, easy communicator, humble, just a normal guy.   

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2015, 05:59 pm »
Yep. That's the Pulsar. Marvelous speakers for sure. Shocking how big those little guys can sound. I have the Perspective's here, his small tower just under the Pearl 3. I have been over the moon about them for more than a few years now. Little speakers that can!

Doublej

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jul 2015, 11:28 pm »
It's not the crossover design, that's basic public information. It's Fritz!!!

http://web.archive.org/web/20110902214134/http://arhifi.dk/store/product.php?id_product=22

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:04 am »
It's always amazing when two different manufacturers can take the same drivers with roughly the same cabinet/crossover and create an entirely different sound.

Ultralight

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jul 2015, 04:22 am »
Indeed.   There seem to be not only science, but also art in the process.  That's what allow individuals to still compete with the large corporations with their vast engineering resources.   

On a different note, the Vinnie Rossi LIO is another piece of equipment that comes to mind where one person can drive the process and produce a superior piece of audio gear.

UL

It's always amazing when two different manufacturers can take the same drivers with roughly the same cabinet/crossover and create an entirely different sound.

misterphoneman

« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2016, 09:45 am »
Wish Fritz would move to Portland.

Hello all, I'm new to the group and I just happened to come across this thread. 

Hey Michael, I recently heard from Fritz and he tells me that he relocated to Marin County in the Bay Area.  Still not close enough to borrow a cup of sugar but much closer to you than he used to be. 

Cheers!