AV123 LS-6 x base thread size

shotoons

AV123 LS-6 x base thread size
« on: 23 Feb 2015, 08:39 pm »
Anyone know the thread size for the LS-6 X base?  I can't find any spikes that
may have come with it and am considering getting some Herbie's Threaded Stud gliders

mojave

Re: AV123 LS-6 x base thread size
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:19 pm »
I don't have any spikes, but may be able to check the thread size when I get home.

I use self adhesive Magic Sliders (I think 2") under my LS-6's. They have been one for a couple of years with me sliding the LS-6's all over the room.

bdp24

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:44 pm »
Go to a hardware store and get a few different size bolts---8/32, 1/4-20, 6mm, and 8mm are the most common spike sizes. Try screwing each into the threaded inserts to find the size spikes you need. Also, go to the Symposium Acoustics website for info on their Rollerblocks, an interesting way to provide high vertical coupling between speakers & subs and the floor they sit on, with high isolation from horizontal/lateral vibration. Most of the vibration traveling through flooring and trying to get into your speakers/subs moves through the floor material horizontally, like ripples across the surface of a pond. Isolating speakers and subs from that energy while firmly anchoring them to the floor in the vertical plane (to prevent unwanted movement of the speaker cabinet, and to drain vibration out of the speaker/sub enclosure---though there is some disagreement about the validity of that theory) is a highly effective technique. Read the Barry Diament (an audiophile quality recording engineer) Audio website for more info. Go to "Articles", then "Vibration control for better performance". Also worth reading is "Setting up your monitoring environment", written for engineers but equally applicable to audiophiles.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2015, 02:53 am by bdp24 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2015, 11:49 pm »
Are you trying to make it easier to move around?

shotoons

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2015, 08:29 pm »
Movability would be a bonus.  Currently have them on Auralex Grammas and
want to see what effect some other vibration control products have on the sound.

I'll check out the symposium products too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2015, 08:50 pm »
You are probably going to get  lot more of what you are looking for from some good floor spikes.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2015, 09:32 pm »
If you don't want to deal with individual bolts of different sizes you could use a set of gauges something like these:

http://www.rockler.com/thread-detective-thread-gauges

However, these are fairly expensive compared to a few bolts so unless you think you will need to check bolt and/or nut sizes often individual bolts would be the way to go.

atopa2002

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2015, 02:23 am »
Movability would be a bonus.  Currently have them on Auralex Grammas and
want to see what effect some other vibration control products have on the sound.

I'll check out the symposium products too.

Yep,i used to  own a rockets speaker and they tip over sometimes

freerider

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2015, 08:09 pm »
I have a complete set of LS-6 spikes at home that I don't use.  I'll try to find them tonight, if I can remember.  Might take some digging to locate them...

shotoons

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2015, 08:41 pm »
Sorry about not updating my findings.  It turns out there are no threads
in the metal inserts in the x bases I have so I will look into non-threaded
products like Herbie's fat dots and such.

Thanks for the effort.