Well Tempered Lab was mentioned in a review

mgsboedmisodpc2

Well Tempered Lab was mentioned in a review
« on: 22 May 2015, 04:16 pm »
Well Tempered Lab was mentioned in a review of another product
http://www.wired.com/2015/05/review-cozoy-astrapi/
Not sure if the mention is a positive one though. 8)
here is snippet of the article

IEM--(In Ear Monitor)
"Not every audiophile is a middle-aged robber baron who plays $1,000 records on a $300,000 turntable. Most audiophiles today are actually young men—yes, almost always men—who listen to ALAC files on their iPhones through a pair of $200 IEMs they scored on Amazon for $120.

This is the discriminating but financially strapped segment of the audio market that “Chi-Fi” manufacturers cater to. Once dismissed by critics as junk gear, some of these companies in China and Hong Kong have ramped up quality to the point where fancy audiophile companies are getting nervous. Consider Well Tempered Lab, a venerable American brand known for its premium turntables and Rube Goldberg LTD tonearm. They decided to surrender rather than compete; all their decks, including the $4,450 Versulex (sans LTD) are now made in Beijing by the Opera Audio Company.

Opera’s own Consonance line of components has gained a loyal following among European audiophiles, but most Chi-Fi badges are far more obscure. GemTune anyone? With no budget to splurge on full-page ads in Stereophile, these small startups depend on Web reviews and word of mouth to move inventory. There certainly isn’t much to glean from the lost-in-Google-translation product literature. Here’s a typical “Chinglish” passage about the Matisse MDS-623 Tube Preamp describing what may or may not be a vacuum tube that may or may not be Russian: “This pipe features such as forums to talk about sound, the low frequency full, with a very strong taste of bile, so some fans are fascinated.”
"

threadkiller

Re: Well Tempered Lab was mentioned in a review
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2015, 07:19 pm »
He sucks... and clueless.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2015, 05:33 pm »
threadkiller is not a fan of Rene Chun's reviews I see

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2015, 06:36 pm »
That might be because his article is full of crap in my humble opinion!

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2015, 08:11 pm »
So there's that.. Lol
I've read a few before on various things. Never gleaned anything useful, and the premise is always off kilter..
Better to be a quick CNET blurb of a few sentences than the waste of time they are.
I do like to observe those kinds of people at shows. Always appear like someone you'd never want to listen with...