More Mullard Reissue tubes coming

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
More Mullard Reissue tubes coming
« on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:40 pm »
I hear New Sensor is coming out with more tubes including the KT88 and 5AR4.  Any chance we'll see these from RAM Labs?

Edit: Ok, looking at the New Sensor website makes me wonder.  If they make EH, Tung Sol, Mullard, Genalex, etc.  I wonder how different they can all be. 
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2014, 12:30 am by corndog71 »

mjosef

Re: More Mullard Reissue tubes coming
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2014, 03:53 am »
If they make EH, Tung Sol, Mullard, Genalex, etc.  I wonder how different they can all be?

Using just the 12AX7 as an example...EH~hohum, TS~pin-point sharp, Mullard~ fuzzy(compared to the TS), Genalex ~thick, dark, sweet. Just one aspect of the results I experienced in the line stage of my preamp.
Other words...flat, expansive/deep, confused/unfocused, forward/rich...resp. as per soundstage.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2014, 03:55 am »
Mj, well, hello.  Kindly put your educated ears to 6922's if you will.  Thanks. 

mjosef

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:31 am »
Well Jim, the only place I can compare 6922 is in the phono stage,  I have compared only the EH to the GL, I prefer the EH, the GL was a bit too syrupy for my taste. But bear in mind my vinyl spinning time is very limited.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:21 pm »
Ok, man.  Thanks.  My girl Maria Neckam still appearing on your neck of the woods?

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2014, 02:28 am »
I hear New Sensor is coming out with more tubes including the KT88 and 5AR4.  Any chance we'll see these from RAM Labs?

Edit: Ok, looking at the New Sensor website makes me wonder.  If they make EH, Tung Sol, Mullard, Genalex, etc.  I wonder how different they can all be.

We have a good relationship with New Sensor and are happy to stock anything they make if there is significant interest. We have several KT-88 choices and good 5AR4s. I imagine the reissue of the Mullard 5AR4 is due to the fantastic prices the originals get on eBay. I will be getting samples soon to evaluate.

Their tubes have differences, sometimes major, sometime minor. What I do is make sure I get a good batch by making extensive tests. I have at times send whole batches back which then ended up at some other manufacturer or distributor who isn't able to see subtle problems.