Wire for GR Research subwoofers

THROWBACK

Wire for GR Research subwoofers
« on: 1 Jul 2015, 01:02 pm »
Actually, four wires.

I am running GR Research open-baffle 12" servo subs (three per side) using GR Research A-370 sub amps. Absolutely wonderful! But still, I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to experiment with the connections.
a. Speaker cable: I have wired the speakers with Danny's solid copper wire down to Danny's speaker terminals. I am using the same wire to go from Danny's plugs to the A-370 amps. Might I experience an improvement if I "upgraded" this wire?
b. If I upgraded this wire, would I also have to upgrade the servo wire or would that make any difference?
c. How about upgrading the power cord to the A-370 amps? Is there a "best" one?
d. How about upgrading the interconnects from the preamp to the A-370's ? Is there a "best" one?

Of course there is no "best" one of anything. I am just looking for ideas.

Thanks.

bdp24

Re: Wire for GR Research subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2015, 01:37 pm »
Oy, the great wire debate! People seem to come down on one side or the other. The "non-believers" are sure it can't and therefore doesn't make any difference, even though they've never tried. Danny has the mind of an engineer and the ears of an audiophile, plus the sub is his design. Let's see what he has to say on the subject!

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:21 pm »
I'm a huge fan of wire. However, for subwoofers, you'd be wasting your money. You already have decent hook-up wire. As for interconnects for subs -- it's hard to discern any differences, IMO. I'll admit that I haven't spent several hundreds of dollars or more on a subwoofer cables trying to find out, but I'm guessing you'll need to spend around half the price of what you paid for your subs to hear a substantial difference. Obviously, that's not a good idea. For example, Synergistic Research is supposed to make a great subwoofer cable, but pricing is quite steep, especially if you need two of them, and fairly long runs, as well.

OK, that bring us to the power cord. Absolutely!! Get the best PCs you can afford for the amps. There are a zillion good power cords on the market, so getting recommendations is probably not helpful. To narrow down your options, I would suggest supporting one of the seller participants on this forum who design and sell great cables at reasonable prices.   

The most significant improvement I received with my OB servo sub was when I got an UberBuss. I was shocked that the bass went to a completely different level -- cleaner and much more authoritative.   

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:02 pm »
"The most significant improvement I received with my OB servo sub was when I got an UberBuss. I was shocked that the bass went to a completely different level -- cleaner and much more authoritative."

:o.....In all the time since I bought my UberBUSS, not once did it occur to me to plug my Rythmik F12G into it. What have I been missing?

I'll try it!

Thanks, Early B.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:31 pm »
"The most significant improvement I received with my OB servo sub was when I got an UberBuss. I was shocked that the bass went to a completely different level -- cleaner and much more authoritative."

:o.....In all the time since I bought my UberBUSS, not once did it occur to me to plug my Rythmik F12G into it. What have I been missing?

I'll try it!

Thanks, Early B.

The challenge for me was that I needed a 4-meter power cord for one of my subs due to the location of my components, so a high end power cord was not an option on my budget.

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2015, 08:02 pm »

I'll try it!

Thanks, Early B.

My A370's are plgged into my  Minibuss  :thumb:
Wouldn't have it any other way, unles of course I bought an U ber !!
jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2015, 03:06 am »
The hook-up wire is high purity OFC in polyethylene. It is really good and better than what's on the amp from the factory. Improvements here are minimal at best.

I have noted differences in interconnect but it can be marginal. But I was comparing different high end interconnects. Comparing any of what I had to a generic RCA cable might yield a notable difference. Try what you can afford and by try I mean borrow or demo.

Power cables can make a substantial difference as can power conditions like the Uber Buss. I use a pretty high quality power cable to an Uber Buss then another one to a balanced power supply and another really good pair coming out of the balanced power supply to the A370 amps. It all makes a difference.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2015, 03:14 am »
Power cables can make a substantial difference as can power conditions like the Uber Buss. I use a pretty high quality power cable to an Uber Buss then another one to a balanced power supply and another really good pair coming out of the balanced power supply to the A370 amps. It all makes a difference.

A little off topic, but you mentioning the balanced power supply reminded me on something.  an awesome balanced power supply (and maybe equally good DC supplies?) might be something to look in to with that new venture you're cooking up with Gary.  I remember reading a lot of praise for the units Gary used to make, and I can't remember seeing a lot of competitors in that market depending on price point.  I know batteries and DC supplies are getting a lot of the audio press lately, but I'd think there would always be a market for things that go back to basics.

THROWBACK

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2015, 12:39 pm »
Good suggestions, all. I will do some playing with power cords (suggestions?)

I had not considered an Uber Buss. All of my equipment is plugged into a Silver Circle Tchaik, including the A-370s. I may do better plugging the A370's into their own Uber Buss. This might relieve a burden from the Tchaik and make more current for the A-370s. Sure would be nice to do a try before buy. BTW, would I really need an Uber or could I get by with the Majik or Mini. How important is the Power Factor Correction feature?

I could use a bit more info about the "balanced power supply." (IOW, I have no idea what you guys are talking about!)

THROWBACK

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2015, 12:44 pm »
Oops, sorry! I just Googled "Balanced Power Supply." Shoulda done that before I posted.
But I'm not clear on why this kind of unit would make a big difference in the bass.

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:08 pm »
Good suggestions, all. I will do some playing with power cords (suggestions?)

I had not considered an Uber Buss. All of my equipment is plugged into a Silver Circle Tchaik, including the A-370s. I may do better plugging the A370's into their own Uber Buss. This might relieve a burden from the Tchaik and make more current for the A-370s. Sure would be nice to do a try before buy. BTW, would I really need an Uber or could I get by with the Majik or Mini. How important is the Power Factor Correction feature?

I could use a bit more info about the "balanced power supply." (IOW, I have no idea what you guys are talking about!)

AFAIK,, Dave  (PI Audio) does offer a full 30 day money back guarantee, basically  a trial. As i said above,  I have the A370's plugged into my mini which  has  4 receptacle ( 8 outlets) along with my amp, dac & TV.
I wrote up a small mini review of the mini , it's in the PI circle. Basically, I feel it is the best bang for buck I've ever spent in this  "hobby"   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125083.0 .

A buddy just switched from a PurePower 1050 to one of  Dave's Uberbuss's and couldn't be happier... his products are worth every penny, guess that is why he offers the 30 day , no questions asked return policy.

jay

undertow

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2015, 07:21 pm »
I have built a few custom subs... This is a 3 part and 3 effect question.

1 - internal speaker hookup wire from the plate amp to the driver. Slight differences can in fact be had here, basic 12 gauge lamp cord works, but I have used more refined Teflon coated copper with slightly more dynamic, and clean results. Is it groundbreaking? No, but you can refine the "Tone" to some degree using better internal hookup wire.

2 - RCA or Balanced interconnect. 95% of the time any well shielded cable here works fine, and really won't sound much different unless you are running some serious long length over 15 or 20 ft. Honestly any decent RCA sub interconnect with a double shield will sound about the same in general. Its not worth investing much here at all.

3 - Power cables... I have used everything from 1000.00 dollar to 1 dollar molded cables anywhere from 8 gauge per pole, to 16 gauge per pole.
I do suggest at least a good 12 gauge shielded cable. Only real problem you can run into with power cables for a sub is more or less hum. Generally most of the newer plate amps even have just 2 pole hookups anyway with Class D amplification keeping the ground loops at a minimum.

Honestly, any power cable itself will do nothing to a plate amps performance in a sub from a million times in many different systems I tried them, unless its a really bad shield issue, or way to small of a AWG that won't pass the current it wants to suck down, but from a material standpoint anything above just a decent copper stranded conductor in this case is a huge waste in my experience. Learned that lesson many times, keep your reference power cords for your full range mono blocks or stereo amp for sure.