quick question

rosconey

quick question
« on: 16 Feb 2004, 12:31 am »
can a dvd player with a nice audio dac(24-192) be converted into a stand alone dac :?:

modwright

DVD
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2004, 04:19 pm »
Not quite sure I follow you...anything is possible, but it would make MORE sense to modify the unit to work well as a standalone player.  There is much more involved than JUST the DAC chip.

Dan

rosconey

quick question
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2004, 05:10 pm »
its in reference to the philips 727 dvd - a 80$ unit that sounds like a grand-but the drives are loud and cranky
thanx

rosconey

quick question
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2004, 11:31 pm »
i also have a toshiba unit i like alot -a few people at aa agree it sounds dam good-
one guy opened one up-
The first thing I did was take a look under the hood. The DAC appears to be the Burr-Brown 1751 (TI), but on the TI webpage, you can't get a datasheet for it because it's status is labeled "preview."

The power supply looks like your typical SMPS, and is probably the weakest link in the unit. I didn't hook it up but I did put in a CD and the transport seems very quiet and the open/close operation is smooth. The DVD, CD, DAC, analog output stage, 27MHz clock etc is all on one small board. All electrolytic caps on this board appear to be through-hole types (good for easy tweaking!). Pretty cool what $70 gets you these days!

would this be a vialble candidate for a little modding?
if so are you interested :?:

modwright

Mod
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2004, 06:59 am »
I appreciate your asking, but I my plate REALLY is too full at the moment.

Thanks,

Dan