New Magnepan 1.7 wrinkles

Paddlefoot

New Magnepan 1.7 wrinkles
« on: 29 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm »
Hi, just took delivery of a new pair 1.7 from my dealer on Friday ... Set them up and notices wrinkles in the far upper left corner of one panel and a few small ones near the middle button on the other... Is this normal...will Magnepan fix this?..I did tell the dealer...do any of you know if Magnepan pays shipping to the factory  for repair? thanks Greg

Roger Gustavsson

Re: New Magnepan 1.7 wrinkles
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm »
I would contact Magnepan. These speakers are easily damaged in shipping. The shipping companies rareley pays for damages...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2015, 01:46 pm »
Get in touch with your dealer tomorrow - that's what they're for.
Wrinkled foil is the result of the carton being dropped flat on it's face.

Paddlefoot

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2015, 02:04 pm »
hi guys, i did talk to the dealer yesterday, call did a follow up on my purchased from him...i informed him of the issues...this was his demo pair that received in August of 2014...the room was dark...he never saw them and neither did my wife, she notice them when we put them in the room....we have not heard any problems and the wires are still attached to the mylar...just wrinkled in the picture...the box show not a bit of damage...ive own several pair of maggies over the years..never seen any thing like this. it looks like someone didn't make the corner of the bed, the wrinkles goes all the way to the edge of the MDF .

Paddlefoot

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2015, 02:16 pm »
Here is a better pic showing the wrinkles go all the way to the edge of the MDF... I think I am about to get the shaft :( the other one has some wire that has lived from the mylar around the buttons in the middle

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2015, 02:56 pm »
... Is this normal...will Magnepan fix this?..I did tell the dealer...do any of you know if Magnepan pays shipping to the factory  for repair? thanks Greg

They'd better; hell, they will pay shipping BOTH WAYS, and give the prospective customer/listener $100 if he/she does not like their in-home free demo enough to buy them!
http://www.magnepan.com/model_17

Paddlefoot

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2015, 03:01 pm »
I sure hope so Ted... My wife and I really love the sound of them... We just can't see any speaker replacing them... Unless they want to give 3.7

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2015, 06:08 pm »
The dealer should be able to get you a replacement pair.

Paddlefoot

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2015, 08:44 pm »
Update...Magnepan is send a Ups call tag... They will repair the speakers!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2015, 08:58 pm »
Good deal.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2015, 10:14 pm »
Update...Magnepan is send a Ups call tag... They will repair the speakers!

That's great news!

Paddlefoot

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2015, 10:26 am »
Hi Guys, just an update ...Magnepan sent me a brand new pair of 1.7i...I am a very happy boy..thank you Sheila and Magnepan!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2015, 02:24 pm »
  Magnepan did more than the right thing. bravo ! The dealer never noticed the wrinkles is amazing to me. They should have been inspected before the sale IMO.
   Enjoy!

charles

steve f

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2015, 02:31 pm »
Outstanding. The way customer service should work.

geowak

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2015, 03:32 pm »
Yes, to me, this is how good customer service works. Go the extra mile to make the customer happy. On the other hand, customers should always be reasonable when dealing with expectations from the manufacturer.
I have seen manfacturers cut corners, I have seen customers who were unable to please. Both are ugly situations.

Davey

« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2015, 03:58 pm »
  Magnepan did more than the right thing. bravo ! The dealer never noticed the wrinkles is amazing to me.

charles

Maybe the dealer DID notice them?  :)  It seems Magnepan stepped up to the plate in this situation.......I'm not so sure about the dealer.

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2015, 12:13 am »
It is always best to give people the benefit of the doubt.  To the dealer it's one speaker out of many and if you set them up in a dimly lit room you probably wouldn't notice.
To the proud owner it's one speaker out of just two.
An inspection prior to sale would have been a good idea, though.
Go break those speakers in!

Paddlefoot

« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2015, 12:28 am »
Hi guys... Let me say first ..the dealer didn't know.. The room was dimmed most of the time... I've worked with him before... When my wife and got them home we notice the wrinkle... It was late ... I was going to call the dealer later the next day... The dealer called me from his cell phone early as a follow up to see how we like the speaker... I broke the news to him then. The dealer and Magnepan have been first class all the way.. The end results speak for themselves. I am a very happy boy!!!

Davey

« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2015, 03:00 am »
Good clarification, thanks.
Lesson learned for the dealer too.  Shine a light (literally) on your demo equipment before you start demo'ing/selling it.  :)

Dave.

magpan

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2015, 01:05 am »
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2015, 04:12 pm by magpan »