Telefunken 6922

Tomy2Tone

Telefunken 6922
« on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:00 am »
Wondering if anybody has any experience with these tubes. I've had great success with Amperex 12au7 and 12ax7 tubes in my dac and have thought about getting some Amperex PQ 6922's but curious if these Telefunkens can bring something more to the party in my preamp. The reviews on the Upscale Audio site seem like a no brainier but would like to know if anyone here has had good luck or not.

Steve

Re: Telefunken 6922
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:23 am »
Wondering if anybody has any experience with these tubes. I've had great success with Amperex 12au7 and 12ax7 tubes in my dac and have thought about getting some Amperex PQ 6922's but curious if these Telefunkens can bring something more to the party in my preamp. The reviews on the Upscale Audio site seem like a no brainier but would like to know if anyone here has had good luck or not.

I have a pair of the new telefunkens (by JJ) and they are super quiet and sound great. I had one old tele but it does not measure that good, so I cannot comment.

Cheers
Steve

jea48

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:26 am »

Might depend on the preamp.

I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp and I prefer the Amperex USA made 1960s white label PQ tubes over the Telefunken E88CC/6922 tubes made in the 1960s in West Germany.

In case you have not read Joe's Tube Lore.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:41 am »
Might depend on the preamp.

I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp and I prefer the Amperex USA made 1960s white label PQ tubes over the Telefunken E88CC/6922 tubes made in the 1960s in West Germany.

Where do you get Amperex PQ white label 6922's? I've been looking but haven't found any yet.

RPM123

Escott1377

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2015, 01:11 pm »

Call Kevin and ask if the 7DJ8 can be used in place with your pre amp.

You will save a lot of $$, depending on how many you need.  I use these in my Manley phono stage and they sing.

If you still have $$ burning a hole in your pocket, he has Ediswan 6922's that are seriously good.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:03 pm »
:wink:

http://dcn6dj2nji5qr.cloudfront.net/listings/tubes-amperex-pq-platinum-matched-pair-white-label-6922-e88cc-1965-gold-pin-low-noise-pho-2015-07-23-accessories-92821-brea-ca

Thanks for the link! I was going to send the guy a message but saw he only accepts money orders. Plus, I need 6 of these for my preamp. I had placed an order for the Telefunkens but just canceled it because I keep hearing the Amperex's are probably what I'm wanting in having a little warmer/musical presentation while still being very detailed.

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:17 pm »
Tommy,

Sent you a PM.

Steve

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2015, 01:45 pm »

Agree, design is quite important but one will never obtain sonic perfection unless the tube is perfect. Unfortunately, I do not see the JJ brand 6922 (or new telefunken) listed at all, a huge, horrible mistake and lack of understanding proper listening testing procedures. I do not see any pertinent information concerning his testing methodology, circuit/design parts quality etc either. Anyway, the JJ tube is the most transparent, accurate, and natural sounding tube in a proper design, via years of proper listening testing. Part, part of the superiority is its harmonic distortion is some 18db less than any 6sn7s or other 6DJ8s.

One can literally design a perfectly transparent, output vs input line preamplifier (via years of proper listening testing) without the expensive tubes. Huge, beautiful soundstage, unbelievable natural tonal, incredible dynamics, in a proper design. Of course weaker designs may require another to compensate for the designs/parts short comings, but the result is always only an approximation. Spending gobs of money for less quality seems counter productive, but some have lots of spare change.

Why Joe would leave out the JJ and new Telefunken defies logic, unless his design is weak. The only place one cannot use the JJ tube is in the phono stage. (New telefunken is dead quiet but more expensive.).

Cheers
Steve

ps. I had two reports of the JJ lasting some 28,000 hours. Not bad.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2015, 08:58 pm by Steve »

jea48

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2015, 03:16 pm »
Thanks for the link! I was going to send the guy a message but saw he only accepts money orders. Plus, I need 6 of these for my preamp. I had placed an order for the Telefunkens but just canceled it because I keep hearing the Amperex's are probably what I'm wanting in having a little warmer/musical presentation while still being very detailed.

You may not need to replace all 3 pairs.  You may just need 2 pairs of the expensive old stock tubes.

About 10 years ago I bought my stash of NOS and tested as new used 1960s 6922/E88cc and 7308/E188cc tubes for my preamp. Damn glad I bought them then!

The Sonic Frontiers line 1 preamp also uses 3 matched pairs of 6922 tubes.
Three rows of 2 tubes per row. The center row two tubes are the most important tubes followed by the back row two tubes with the front row being the least important.

I confirmed this with the former owner of Sonic frontiers when I was experimenting with tube rolling in the preamp. I do not run expensive 1960s tubes in the front row.  I suggest you contact the manufacture/tech support for your preamp. You may only need to buy 2 pairs of the USA made Amperex 1960s white label PQ tubes.

For what it's worth I tried a pair of the later late 1960s, 1970s USA made Amperex 6922 orange label PQ tubes and from my listening experience they were/are in no way in the same league as the white label 1960s PQ tubes. YMMV.

I should add, if you are going to go down the road of rolling old vintage tubes in your preamp I would suggest you buy a good tube tester that tests for mutual conductance.   

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2015, 03:27 pm »
I got a contact that has some Amperex 1950's PQ white label d getter 6922's that I'm going to try. The only PQ 6922 I saw scouring the tube suppliers on the net was a orange labe 1970's and they wanted $120 each for them. Everywhere I read it seems the white label gets the highest praise.

jsm71

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:28 pm »
It does indeed depend on the preamp, not to mention everything else in your rig.  I run NOS Telefunken E88CC/6922 tubes in the phono section of my Cary SLP 98P preamp.  I really like them.  The rest of my tubes in the preamp are all NOS as well.  Stepping up with better tubes in a piece that is all tubes can transform the performance with a bit.

bunky

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2015, 01:48 pm »
If you can find 1960's Amperex USA white label gold pin mil spec USNCEP 6922's they are the same special selected tube as the white label USA gold pin PQ. i have a pair of 1964 USNCEP white label and they sound great  :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2015, 02:24 pm »
Here's some pics the seller sent me...these are made in Holland 1950's white label PQ.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2015, 02:44 pm »
It does indeed depend on the preamp, not to mention everything else in your rig.  I run NOS Telefunken E88CC/6922 tubes in the phono section of my Cary SLP 98P preamp.  I really like them.  The rest of my tubes in the preamp are all NOS as well.  Stepping up with better tubes in a piece that is all tubes can transform the performance with a bit.

Nice to know about the Tele's. When I first started experimenting with tubes with my previous preamp in the Rogue Perseus I had tried several brands with none of them really wowing me. I called Andy at Vintage Tube Services and the way he described the Amperex Bugle Boys I figured I had to try them despite the hurt on my wallet.

After several days of playing this incredible, smooth, holographic soundstage came out and I was smitten. The level of realism was new to me and I've been hooked ever since. I've read the Telefinkens are in the same ballpark with performance. I have a Herron VTSP 3a now and look forward to what other tubes have to offer.