Is the Benchmark DAC-1 still a good buy in 2015?

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Is the Benchmark DAC-1 still a good buy in 2015?
« on: 9 Jul 2015, 03:44 pm »
Hey there!

I have a chance to pick up a Benchmark DAC-1 Pre (the one with both USB inputs and RCA outs) for about $600. Ultimately, I'd like to go with a tubed headphone setup for my office with a separate DAC, but I figure something like this will get me started, as well as give me another preamp option whenever I get around to setting up my home triode rig again.

Is this still a good buy today, or are there better options out there for that many Benjamins (Audeze Deckard, Shiit stack, etc...)? Thanks!

Phil A

Re: Is the Benchmark DAC-1 still a good buy in 2015?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2015, 04:07 pm »
It's not a bad price if you will end up using and liking the preamp.  Digital technology changes rapidly.  Here's one alternative (and someone recently got it and did a review)

https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

Phil A

Phil A

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2015, 12:15 am »
Thanks for the links to my posts Phil.

The Benchmark DAC-1 Pre goes up to 24 bit/96 kHz, is the gold standard (not to say the best at any one aspect or even overall) for this type of product, and will undoubtedly resale better.  The Emotiva DC-1 goes up to 24 bit/192 kHz, has a remote, but only 1/8 inch headphone jacks.

From the reviews I've read sound quality from Emotiva to Benchmark range of DAC/pre-amps (baring DSD/DXD formats) are all a toss up. 

You mentioned wanting a tube headphone setup.  Why not look at the Oppo HA-1? $1,200 MSRP but extreme value, balanced design throughout, well built, is designed primarily for headphone use with class A output, and has both XLR and single ended headphone outputs.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2015, 12:52 am »
While things perform differently in different system, was not super impressed even by the current Benchmark DAC, which I wanted to buy a couple of years back both for the HT Bypass and also it reads word length.  At the 2013 Capital Audiofest, John Gatski of Everything Audio Network has a Stack of DACs with levels equalized from the $500 Parasound to the $1.8k Benchmark.  Coverage and a pic of the DACs is here:  http://www.stereophile.com/content/capital-audiofest-day-two-part-one#dCF8i8Qpk1FKPY7s.97

I owned the Emotiva XDA-1 in a spare system for a couple of years and that's why I just wanted to point to the additional option around the same price range.  From that stack of DACs, I ended up buying the Teac for a secondary system.  The guy who sold me my Meitner DAC for the main system had bought the Benchmark.  When I emailed him my thoughts, he bought the Teac and sold the Benchmark as he though it was a better sounding DAC in his system.

jpm

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:52 am »
I was thinking seriously about the Oppo HA-1 not too long ago. One factor I recall learning was that the headphone output circuit is superior to the pre-amp output circuit. This makes sense given it's primary objective, but if you want it equally or more so as a pre-amp then it's worth being aware of that.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:00 pm »
I was thinking seriously about the Oppo HA-1 not too long ago. One factor I recall learning was that the headphone output circuit is superior to the pre-amp output circuit. This makes sense given it's primary objective, but if you want it equally or more so as a pre-amp then it's worth being aware of that.

Currently markedly superior DAC/pre-amp performance compared to the HA-1 may not be available (separate DAC and pre-amp yes, but probably at 4+ times the price).  OTOH DAC related technologies are moving so fast it's hard to make sense of seriously investing in any DAC.  For me, headphone use and chasing hi-resolution formats were low priorities compared to price, compact size, and remote control so the Emotiva DC-1 made sense.  Undoubtedly there will be a new set of better products in the not to distant future, so just hope you get enough satisfaction out of whatever you buy now to make the investment worthwhile.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2015, 03:43 pm »

While the Oppo is more money, it is more modern and plays more formats.  It also will likely have better resale value down the road (obviously vs. a new unit but perhaps percentage wise not horribly different than the used Benchmark in the OP).  Sometimes it is better to save a bit more and get something that will be more technically relevant for a longer period and be worth more.  For everything it does (including quad DSD, 384kHz), it should be relevant for quite a bit.

KR500

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2015, 06:39 pm »
have you looked at Project Ember tube headphone from Garage 127 ?
Their designed and made in the US models of tube headphone amps are well regarded and come in completed or kit options

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2015, 08:05 pm »
There's an Ember for sale on Head-Fi.org "http://www.head-fi.org/t/774251/project-ember-w-aluminum-chassis-and-extras" if you think that might work for you.  $299.  I just happened to see it while looking through their for sale forum the other day.  I have been interested in the Ember also after hearing many good comments from users on that forum.

Best,

Blu99Zoomer

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2015, 01:51 am »
Bought a DAC-1 Pre. Currently filing a PP chargeback claim because I never got it.  :duh:

So, back to looking at options again...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:35 am »
Bought a DAC-1 Pre. Currently filing a PP chargeback claim because I never got it.  :duh:

So, back to looking at options again...

Bummer - but your probably better without it.  I'd get an Oppo HA-2 DAC / headphone amp @ $300 until you've had time to audition stand alone headphone amps / dacs to find one you like.  Don't know your budget, but you can't go wrong with a Woo Audio tube headphone amp new or used. 

The original DAC-1 was frankly to bright for my taste and I think has been overshadowed by many new DACs even at $600.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:06 pm »
Any thoughts on a Schiit pair, maybe an Asgard or Asgard 2 and a Bifrost? They seem pretty reasonable on Head-Fi, although I've heard some issues with the original Asgards humming.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:14 pm »
Any thoughts on a Schiit pair, maybe an Asgard or Asgard 2 and a Bifrost? They seem pretty reasonable on Head-Fi, although I've heard some issues with the original Asgards humming.

At $600 new for the combo w/ a 15 day satisfaction guarantee, what have you got to lose?

BobM

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:19 pm »
The Benchmark should still stand up to most DAC's today, within reason, but it is fairly clinical sounding. A reviewers dream but a music lover might think otherwise. If you want something more "musical" or warmer you should look elsewhere.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:45 pm »
At $600 new for the combo w/ a 15 day satisfaction guarantee, what have you got to lose?

Very true. I know I originally said I'm interested in tubes - and I still am - I'm thinking that it might be overkill at the office. When I had my triodes set up at home, I enjoyed them with the room lights darkened and a glass of scotch in my hand...not horrible flourescents that I can't control  :P

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2015, 05:47 pm »
The Audeze Deckard looks like an interesting all-in-one for $700, may have to take a listen to it in a local store.

guest61169

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2015, 07:02 pm »
With a headphone amp, a dac, balanced outputs you can use as a preamp there isn't much out there that will compete at a given price level that has all 3 of these parameters.  All I can think of that might come close is the old Apogee Mini-DAC, assuming you can stand the colour purple.  Or you could go Asian with the Matrix Mini.  I had the first version of that and it made clicking sounds through the speakers when changing inputs and the volume sometimes went up when you pushed the down button on the remote.  It ended up in the trash can.  I could not in good conscience even sell that to someone.   Still using my DAC-1 (regular version, with a Stello U3) and it sounds fine.  Of course you have to have it working harmoniously with the rest of your system and room but that is true of all components.  It doesn't add a tubelike niceness to the sound.