Speaker Wire Suggestions for Magneplanar 1.7i's and McIntosh Pre and Amp

Mike Gillespie

Running McIntosh C2300 Pre-amp with great tubes (different ones like EAT, Mullard, etc). Also running McIntosh MC402 SS amp.  Just got the Maggies in and wondering what SW people like with McIntosh and Maggies.

Have 2 JL Audio powered F112 subs running as well.

Thanks.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
I would use some.

Davey

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but this is what I'd use.  (Anything else is a waste of money.)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2791&seq=1&format=2

Dave.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Blue Jeans cables are very good, and not pricey.   When I ran out of some AQ wire that I got used, I used BJC.

Minn Mark

Kimber Monocle was recommended to me for my 3.6/R.

I, however am using bi-wired runs of 12 ga  wire I got from parts express.  Blue jeans also for the IC's. Sounds fabulous.

Happy hunting,

Mark

Wind Chaser

Blue Jeans cables are very good, and not pricey.

I couldn't take their name seriously, but many years and cables later I finally tried them and was quite surprised. Best budget cable I have tried by a long shot. :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Kimber 8TC works well with my 1.7s. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but this is what I'd use.  (Anything else is a waste of money.)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2791&seq=1&format=2

Dave.

My experience with clear-jacketed wire was not good.  The insulation degrades and discolors over time, and in a few cases the copper started to oxidize. 

ajzepp

I'm not a big speaker wire guy, BUT, in this case there is a small caveat - I felt like the anticables from Paul Spetz (which are pretty inexpensive....only reason I tried 'em) resulted in a bit more low end on my 3.6s. I'm very much a skeptic when it comes to cables and ICs, but since I dont use a sub with my Maggies right now, I felt like this was a good investment. I didn't notice much difference in mids/highs, but the low end, yes...YMMV

brooklyn

I’ve been using some solid core AQ Type 4 cables for many years
with great results. I’m using a tube pre and solid state amps with
the MMG's.

jsm71

I started out with cheapie wire before trying anti-cables.  The ACs were a huge improvement but I didn't like how they wouldn't lay down.  A friend brought over his Morrow cables and I was quite impressed by how much better they sounded over the ACs.  I've gone with level 4 Morrows all around since. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Highly subjective : I'd borrow some from friends or dealer & decide for yourself.  I would find a Mac / Maggie combo pretty aggressive (unless your heavy on the Mullards), so I'd avoid "bright" speaker cables (e.g. Nordost).  But some people like a brighter more detailed sound. Which comes back to doing your own audition. 

In my room w/ 1.7's I'm using Acoustic Zen Pro cable I bought bulk and self terminated many years ago.  It's 12 gauge Ohno Continuous Cast copper and provides the benefit that method / material tends towards : i.e. somewhat fatter bottom end, great mid's and a touch of warmth.  To me OCC suits Maggies, but I like things a bit on the warmer side w/ CJ tube pre & tube amp w/ all Mullard NOS input tubes. Don't know if AZ Pro is available anymore, but a similar alternative would be Wireworld Equinox, which is also 12 gauge OCC, and can be had in bulk for $120 a meter. 

The sole Japanese supplier this year announced they'd no longer produce OCC, so it's going the way of NOS tubes.......unless some other supplier steps in.

I.Greyhound Fan

I use Blue Jeans 10g Belden wire and have tried a couple of other cables including a $500 pr. with no noticeable difference with my Maggies.

simoon

I use these DIY cables -

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/Low-Inductance-DIY-Speaker-Cables/

Spent hardly anything. Ended up with a really excellent cable.

I've had pretty expensive cables brought over and compared. Little of no difference.

A bit if sweat and time, and not only will you have a top quality cable. But you will also have the pride that you did it yourself, and you don't have to feel taken.

mamba315

In my room w/ 1.7's I'm using Acoustic Zen Pro cable I bought bulk and self terminated many years ago.  It's 12 gauge Ohno Continuous Cast copper and provides the benefit that method / material tends towards : i.e. somewhat fatter bottom end, great mid's and a touch of warmth.  To me OCC suits Maggies, but I like things a bit on the warmer side w/ CJ tube pre & tube amp w/ all Mullard NOS input tubes. Don't know if AZ Pro is available anymore, but a similar alternative would be Wireworld Equinox, which is also 12 gauge OCC, and can be had in bulk for $120 a meter. 

The sole Japanese supplier this year announced they'd no longer produce OCC, so it's going the way of NOS tubes.......unless some other supplier steps in.

Any other suggestions for bulk 10 or 12 gauge bulk OCC wiring?  I'd like to try some out.  Currently using 10 gauge BJC wiring, manufactured by Belden.  Standard stranded copper, bare wire ends, about 3 foot lengths.  Even that is longer than needed; I can get my monoblock amps comfortably within 9 inches of the binding posts on my Magnepan 1.7i's.  But I'd like to try and hear this setup with OCC wire.

The Maggie's have about 150 hours now.  Does anyone think it's too soon to try new cables?

steve f

If you're only going to use a foot of cable, I honestly can't see how any 12 ga rope will be different from any other. At that distance, I'd be tempted to try pieces of buss bar. It would be  like connecting the amps right to the speaker terminals. Just a thought.

jk@home

If you're only going to use a foot of cable, I honestly can't see how any 12 ga rope will be different from any other. At that distance, I'd be tempted to try pieces of buss bar. It would be  like connecting the amps right to the speaker terminals. Just a thought.

I agree. Or he could go to a local motor rewind shop and buy some 10 or 12 gauge magnet wire by the foot, which would be like Anticable. When I ran MMGs, the Alpha Core Goertz mi 2 veracity stuff sounded nice, and wasn't too expensive. Not sure what the shortest length of that is available.

Now I use Canare 4S11 diy cables (on 2 way monitors) which is fine too.

I.Greyhound Fan

Any other suggestions for bulk 10 or 12 gauge bulk OCC wiring?  I'd like to try some out.  Currently using 10 gauge BJC wiring, manufactured by Belden.  Standard stranded copper, bare wire ends, about 3 foot lengths.  Even that is longer than needed; I can get my monoblock amps comfortably within 9 inches of the binding posts on my Magnepan 1.7i's.  But I'd like to try and hear this setup with OCC wire.

The Maggie's have about 150 hours now.  Does anyone think it's too soon to try new cables?

Your Maggies are broken in now.  I think that for 1' of wire you will be spinning your wheels trying to hear a difference but give it a go and let us know if you hear any differences.  However, money would be better spent on good IC's.

Speedskater

• Kevin
As above.
Even with your demanding speakers, at 1 to 3 foot speaker cables, you're  not going to hear a difference no matter what reasonable cables you use. Come back when you need 20 footers.