Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews

audioengr

Re: Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews
« Reply #140 on: 4 Mar 2013, 06:33 pm »
Steve,
Four tweak, are you saying to use a 75 ohm shorting plug?
I have them in BNC.

No, just an adapter plug, something to give length to the connector.

audioengr

« Reply #141 on: 4 Mar 2013, 06:40 pm »
So how does your method of measuring jitter differ from say Stereophile. I ask because when you throw out your jitter numbers they are much higher than when I have seen published for the digital output of other device, for example the sonos was measured having jitter of 388 picoseconds peak–peak which they consider low.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sonos-zp80-zp100-wifi-music-system-measurements

I'll tell you what.  I'll do the exact same jitter measurement of the Sonos ZP-90 and post that plot.  I will have to redo the SM with a 44.1 unit since Sonos can only do 44.1.

The SM makes a huge difference with the Sonos.

Steve N.

ozzy

« Reply #142 on: 5 Mar 2013, 12:10 am »
Steve,
Ok, using just the BNC / RCA adapter, it does seem like the center is more defined or focused.
I don't understand why this would make a difference? Can you explain?
I was thinking of plugging another adapter into the first one but, I will wait for your reply.

audioengr

« Reply #143 on: 5 Mar 2013, 01:46 am »
Steve,
Ok, using just the BNC / RCA adapter, it does seem like the center is more defined or focused.
I don't understand why this would make a difference? Can you explain?
I was thinking of plugging another adapter into the first one but, I will wait for your reply.

Its working then.  The reason that some cables benefit from this is the edge rates on the SM are very fast and reflections at the connector can cause some squirelly signal integrity resulting in more jitter.  The stub reduces this reflection.

I would try another adapter in series to see if it is even better.

BTW, I have developed an internal mod that negates the need for the stub, so newer versions of SM will probably not benefit from the stub.  This will make the SM work better with a wider selection of cables and lengths.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #144 on: 5 Mar 2013, 03:01 am »
Have you tried one on the input side?

claytontstanley

« Reply #145 on: 5 Mar 2013, 04:19 am »
Steve,

Really appreciating the jitter plots with full histograms.

-Clayton

audioengr

« Reply #146 on: 5 Mar 2013, 07:17 pm »
Have you tried one on the input side?

No, but it will not make any difference.  No change on the input will make any difference.

Steve N.

JBNY

« Reply #147 on: 5 Mar 2013, 09:40 pm »
No, just an adapter plug, something to give length to the connector.

This only applies if you are using the RCA output. If I am using the BNC output already I should be doing nothing on the RCA jack, correct?

audioengr

« Reply #148 on: 6 Mar 2013, 02:05 am »
This only applies if you are using the RCA output. If I am using the BNC output already I should be doing nothing on the RCA jack, correct?

Actually, the stub is not as effective, but still makes a difference.  Use a RCA to BNC adapter in the RCA output.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #149 on: 6 Mar 2013, 03:40 am »
So, if you use the RCA output for the cable, and put the snub on the BNC output, do you get better results as far as jitter, vs. the oposite?

audioengr

« Reply #150 on: 6 Mar 2013, 04:26 am »
So, if you use the RCA output for the cable, and put the snub on the BNC output, do you get better results as far as jitter, vs. the oposite?

I think so, but you need to try it with your own system.

rdsu

« Reply #151 on: 6 Mar 2013, 10:41 am »
Steve,

Do you think that using a RF Attenuator, like the one used in MK3 JKSPDIF, can also improve like the adapter that you suggested?

Regards

audioengr

« Reply #152 on: 6 Mar 2013, 07:44 pm »
Steve,

Do you think that using a RF Attenuator, like the one used in MK3 JKSPDIF, can also improve like the adapter that you suggested?

Regards

Good possibility.  I would not use the attenuator in the BNC position and the cable in the other position.  I would just use the attenuator on the cable.

Steve N.

rdsu

« Reply #153 on: 6 Mar 2013, 09:57 pm »
Good possibility.  I would not use the attenuator in the BNC position and the cable in the other position.  I would just use the attenuator on the cable.
I very cheap tweak to try... ;)

SM(BNC output) > RF Attenuator 75Ohm 15db > S/PDIF coax cable 1,5m > RCA input(DAC)

PLMONROE

« Reply #154 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:12 am »
STEVE! What sort of magic did you put in this box? I find my Qsonix is now absolutely enchanted!

Paul

audioengr

« Reply #155 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:01 am »
STEVE! What sort of magic did you put in this box? I find my Qsonix is now absolutely enchanted!

Paul

Wonderful. Make sure to try the BC adapter tweak.

Steve N.

Vic

« Reply #156 on: 7 Mar 2013, 11:49 am »
Is a BNC to RCA cable something to stay away from?
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm by Vic »

ozzy

« Reply #157 on: 7 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm »
I actually think a BNC adapter to a 75 ohm coaxial works even better than the BNC to RCA adapater.
ozzy

audioengr

« Reply #158 on: 7 Mar 2013, 11:48 pm »
I actually think a BNC adapter to a 75 ohm coaxial works even better than the BNC to RCA adapater.
ozzy

You mean BNC male to BNC female?

ozzy

« Reply #159 on: 8 Mar 2013, 12:44 pm »
It is a Male BNC and then on the other side there is a theaded end that can accept a cable type RG6 fitting.