60V Maraschinos on Onyx Ref1 Standmounts

jseipp

60V Maraschinos on Onyx Ref1 Standmounts
« on: 19 Feb 2016, 11:12 pm »
After setting up my main system with 30V Maraschinos, which are a perfect match, I have set up a bedroom system with the 60V Maraschinos I have owned for awhile now.  I wanted to append this message to some other comments that seemed related, but I can't seem to find the right thread, so I'll start a new one.

The gist of the experience is that the 60V Maraschinos have taken hold of the Ref 1s and made them sound like far larger and more substantial speakers than ever I have heard them sound before.  For easy reference (from Stereophile):

Onyx Reference 1 MkII:
Description: Two-way, reflex-loaded bookshelf loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1" Vifa XT ring-radiator tweeter, 5.25" Atohm woofer with a rubber bar over the dustcap. Crossover frequency: 3kHz. Crossover type: 4th-order. Frequency response: 42Hz–35kHz, ±3dB. Impedance: 4 ohms. Efficiency: 88dB.
Dimensions: 14.5" (370mm) H by 8" (205mm) W by 11" (280mm) D. Shipping weight: 48 lbs (21.8kg)/pair.

After being powered with a very fine integrated, the Maraschinos have taken the soundstage and increased both the clarity and image size,
the latter to a surprising degree.  Before I had a servo sub integrated with the monitors, adding substantially to their weight and of course adding foundational notes and blasts.  Except for the very lowest of tones and explosions, the Maraschinos have managed to bring out every bit and then some of the weight and impact, without the sub.  This is something I would not have thought possible for monitors with relatively small drivers pulled out almost dead center into the room.

Systems are still being shuffled here, and so I will add to the review thread when I feel the 60v Maraschinos have landed in a reasonably stable system.  But until then, they are doing a fantastic job of bringing out the impact of both music and movies from a rather humble pair of monitors, which I find remarkable.  This observation fits well with Steve's, in you might be surprised how much music and, in this case, sheer impact the Maraschinos can bring forth from inexpensive speakers which may just be waiting for the right amp to light them up.   
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2016, 12:53 am by jseipp »