Pono Music offers free upgrades

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
Pono Music offers free upgrades
« on: 22 Aug 2015, 12:21 am »
I received an e-mail today from Pono music with following text:

BREAKING NEWS: THE PONOPROMISE FREE UPGRADES!

Because we love and appreciate our Pono community of music lovers so much, all music purchased at ponomusic.com will now be upgraded for FREE when a label offers a higher resolution upgrade of the same recording. 

THAT IS THE PONOPROMISE.

People have had to deal with changing and eroding quality formats over the years, starting with vinyl, then eight tracks, cassettes, CDs MP3s and now streaming services. Music lovers have been forced to buy or "rent" their music over and over and over again. We here at Pono, think that sucks....  But with Pono, those days are over. 

Now, when you buy your favorite music at ponomusic.com, the PonoPromise means you will never have to purchase it again, ever! If and when a higher resolution album you have already purchased becomes available, it is yours FREE!!!

Most music available today is CD format ( 44.1/16 ). Record companies are sometimes capable of providing the same music at higher resolutions, making it sound superior to CD quality. 

Pono, with your help, is encouraging artists and record companies to upgrade their music to the higher resolutions which the PonoPlayer can play, so that you can hear and feel all of the soul of the music, just as the artist created it. 

Phil A

Re: Pono Music offers free upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2015, 01:05 am »
That is good news - I've not bought anything there yet but did notice there are many albums of just CD quality.  However, I'd hope that we will see some hi-rez versions of what is available soon.  Otherwise it is an empty promise.

Starchild

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2015, 01:24 am »
They've already listed more than 200 albums on their website that are eligible for free upgrade.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2015, 01:30 am »
They've already listed more than 200 albums on their website that are eligible for free upgrade.

That's great news.  I looked at the website a couple of months back but haven't since.

Starchild

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2015, 02:48 am »
I've also found some real nice gems, all be it 44/16 resolution, of hard to find older albums for $6.39 and $7.59 at their site. They also seem to have a deep catalog of the kind of jazz and blues that I like; moreso than HD tracks or Acoustic Sounds.

strat95

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2015, 05:38 am »
If I recall correctly, the PonoPromise was pitched from the start to all purchasers.  Later it was changed from what I read somewhere due to record label discontent and only made available to those who contributed to the Kickstarter campaign.  Is the PonoPromise confirmed to apply to any purchase made by anyone?

Starchild

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2015, 06:10 am »
Based on the language in their announcement it would appear that its available to anyone who buys music from them.  They send an e-mail to folks registered with them announcing upgraded albums.  I've already received an e-mail announcing more upgrades.  However, none of the purchases I've made have been released in a higher resolution. More from their e-mail:

How it works from ponomusic.com:
1) Log in at  ponomusic.com
2) From the top header menu click PonoPromise
3) Click Album Resolution Upgrades and browse the selections to locate free upgrades of music you've previously purchased
4) Click on the music you have previously purchased (conveniently marked with a $0.00 price) to select your free upgraded Album
5) Secure your free upgrade(s) by completing the Checkout process

How it works from email:
1) An email will go out when an upgrade is available with a link to the Pono Album Resolution Upgrades page to claim it.
2) Log in to your account
3) Browse the selections to locate free upgrades of music you've previously purchased
4) Click on the music you have previously purchased (conveniently marked with a $0.00 price) to select your free upgraded Album

I'll certainly report back if I get a free upgrade.

firedog

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2015, 08:33 am »
At first it didn't work for me, and I complained. They responded that they fixed a "bug" and the service is now working.

I can confirm that I have now downloaded for free two resolution upgrades to albums previously purchased.
Just to be clear: this applies if you previously bought the highest resolution available of an album, and they then obtained an even higher resolution version. It isn't some sort of general offer to give free resolution upgrades.

Starchild

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2015, 12:47 pm »
It isn't some sort of general offer to give free resolution upgrades.

Yes.  I didn't mean to convey otherwise; regrets if I did.  In any case, I think its a great offer.  I frequent their website mining for previously unobtainable music and have found sound great stuff.  My credit card has been active and needs to cool off.

santacore

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2015, 05:05 pm »
Cool news. I love my Pono player, and after years of frustrating purchases from the HDTracks website, I'm happy to have a great alternative.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2015, 05:41 pm »
Yes, I received the same email. Free upgrades - quite awesome!! :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

strat95

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2015, 02:31 am »
Based on the language in their announcement it would appear that its available to anyone who buys music from them.  They send an e-mail to folks registered with them announcing upgraded albums.  I've already received an e-mail announcing more upgrades.  However, none of the purchases I've made have been released in a higher resolution. More from their e-mail:

How it works from ponomusic.com:
1) Log in at  ponomusic.com
2) From the top header menu click PonoPromise
3) Click Album Resolution Upgrades and browse the selections to locate free upgrades of music you've previously purchased

How it works from email:
1) An email will go out when an upgrade is available with a link to the Pono Album Resolution Upgrades page to claim it.
2) Log in to your account
3) Browse the selections to locate free upgrades of music you've previously purchased

I'll certainly report back if I get a free upgrade.

Very nice that this is offered to all.  Thanks firedog for confirming as well.