JBL LSR305 MKII's are out!

Cacophonix

Re: JBL LSR305 MKII's are out!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2018, 07:07 pm »
There was a lot of hiss, and a high pitch whine when the mouse moved. This was when i connected the monitors directly to my computer. But once i put emotiva DC-1 in between, the hiss, and the whine disappeared. I mean, i can still hear the hiss if i put my ears right next to the tweeter, but i can't hear any 1m away from it.

restrav

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2018, 07:08 pm »
you mean, you fed them from the headphone output of the computer?

I fed mine from various usb dacs.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2018, 07:16 pm »
Such a problem can be caused by something with a lower s/n ratio than the speakers were designed to accommodate sending hiss from upstream. If any signal of any kind passes through the system, wouldn't you expect and want it passed on intact?
Considering that several testimonials refuting the pervasiveness of the problem have been issued by fellow members who own the product, I would be quick to assume that the reviewer in question needs to figure out why HE has a problem. Balanced lines might help. Blaming the product seems hasty to me.

JDUBS

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2018, 08:25 pm »
I bought the 305 and listened to them for a month as well. no hiss at all. completely silent.

How close to them were you?  You have to be <1m away to hear it.

-Jim

JDUBS

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2018, 08:26 pm »
Such a problem can be caused by something with a lower s/n ratio than the speakers were designed to accommodate sending hiss from upstream. If any signal of any kind passes through the system, wouldn't you expect and want it passed on intact?
Considering that several testimonials refuting the pervasiveness of the problem have been issued by fellow members who own the product, I would be quick to assume that the reviewer in question needs to figure out why HE has a problem. Balanced lines might help. Blaming the product seems hasty to me.

I blame the amplification and its super low snr ratio.

-Jim

restrav

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jan 2018, 10:22 pm »
How close to them were you?  You have to be <1m away to hear it.

-Jim

i did not buy them for desktop use, i as interested to see how they preformed as stereo standmount speakers but while setting them up i did the ear top the sriver test and didnt hear anything out of ordinary. i actually did noy like their sound. i thought they sound thin and kinda like my computer speakers with marginally better bass but disaapointing highs, it was also obviously V shaped in frequency response but i didnt notice any hiss. they were quiet. they were run directly out of the RCA outputs of an NOS  philips based DAC, ESS baes dac, and also spdif. in all hiss was not an issue.

Cacophonix

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jan 2018, 11:42 pm »
I had them connected directly to my asus xonar sound card. This is supposedly a good sound card, but the high pitch whine drive me nuts. But i put the emotiva in between, all of that disappeared. I connected the emotiva to the computer via USB, and using balanced cables between the emotiva and JBLs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2018, 12:47 pm »
PC's are notorious for being "noisy environments" and cheap stock power supplies so any in-board sound card would be fighting an uphill battle.

maty

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jan 2018, 02:13 pm »
JBL LSR305: Resetting sound expectations for desktop speakers

https://www.cnet.com/news/jbl-lsr305-resetting-sound-expectations-for-desktop-speakers/

One small fault was a very small amount of hiss/noise coming from the LSR305s, but once music was playing you won't notice the noise. Many other self-powered speakers have noise issues. The LSR305's noise is less noticeable than most...

Maybe some JBL LSR30x will have more hiss than others -> cheap amp -> cheap quality control?

Of course, an internal sound board can be more problematic.

Maybe the cheap class D amplifier has low PSRR -> source with noise (like internal board) => hiss.

Maybe the amp has high gain-> source with noise (like internal board) => hiss.

maty

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jan 2018, 02:55 pm »
Let's figure out JBL LSR305 hissing

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/3p0tr4/lets_figure_out_jbl_lsr305_hissing/

Studio Monitor Tweeter Hiss (JBL LSR305, KRK Rokit 5 G3, Etc.)

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6776366

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 22 Jan 2018, 04:09 pm »
You gotta wonder just where JBL gets off marketing an inexpensive active 2 way studio monitor that generates universal praise and hogs the industry awards without exceeding state of the art standards or proving itself to be utterly and unanimously without the smallest fault. Pretty cheeky, I'd say. They charge like $149 each for these things and don't even offer chartreuse or mauve. Plus, they aren't even made in the USA and you have to get them from those clueless pro audio types. Hello????

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #31 on: 22 Jan 2018, 04:32 pm »
You gotta wonder just where JBL gets off marketing an inexpensive active 2 way studio monitor that generates universal praise and hogs the industry awards without exceeding state of the art standards or proving itself to be utterly and unanimously without the smallest fault. Pretty cheeky, I'd say. They charge like $149 each for these things and don't even offer chartreuse or mauve. Plus, they aren't even made in the USA and you have to get them from those clueless pro audio types. Hello????

I’ve always loved the way you bring  perspective to the argument.

Thank you.

Anand.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 22 Jan 2018, 05:14 pm »
Thank you, Anand. I try.
If this industry wants a solid boost, it should initiate RMAF420. It would bring the focus to the USA again while attracting younger clientele. Keep it small enough so people have to vie for access. Marijuana eliminates room concerns and fantasy problem imaginings all at once, under god, indivisible and without tweak. In fact, a case could be made for pot as the ultimate tweak. After all, it is the listener who represents the greatest variable in the music reproduction chain. We all could use a little help with our music appreciation at times.
Might bring new meaning to the term "listening Sessions".

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #33 on: 22 Jan 2018, 10:19 pm »
I was assuming, having never been there, that RMAF was pretty 420 already.  No?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 23 Jan 2018, 12:00 am »
I was assuming, having never been there, that RMAF was pretty 420 already.  No?
I've never been there either.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2018, 12:57 pm »

A friend bought a pair of 305's in fire engine red (caught a sale not too long after introduction).  I liked them in red. Not without faults, but represent extreme value and really fill the 'cheap and cheerful' mantra. 

Audiophiles need to wake up to what the professionals are doing (true accuracy versus being entertained via delusion).

OzarkTom

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2018, 11:05 pm »

Audiophiles need to wake up to what the professionals are doing (true accuracy versus being entertained via delusion).

The pros has been there longer than audiophiles. The Pros are finally starting to catch up with us. :thumb:

rjbond3rd

« Reply #37 on: 23 Jan 2018, 11:29 pm »
Lots of pros love tubes, analog tape, vintage mics, vintage eq, vintage compressors, etc.

OzarkTom

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jan 2018, 11:53 pm »
Lots of pros love tubes, analog tape, vintage mics, vintage eq, vintage compressors, etc.

Very true, but why did they move away from the good stuff and make mediocre recordings? 

The AKG tube mics from the 40's and 50's have better SQ than any mics made today.

OzarkTom