My new AT-ART9 cartridge just arrived

bryantdrew

My new AT-ART9 cartridge just arrived
« on: 27 Mar 2017, 02:37 pm »
Torii mkIV Amp
Sutherland PHd phonopre
Scout tt
Tekton Lore2 speakers

So I really enjoy the AT sound. My two previous cartridges were both OC9IIIs. The UPS man just dropped off my first (at least to me) high dollar cartridge, the AT-ART9. Man I hate installing cartridges. I get so nervous it makes me more clumsy than if I would just chill and screw the damn thing on. I make stupid mistakes, when I was measuring the VTF my scale was set to the oz. setting not the grams. I was like I know this cartridge weighs more than this. Took out the battery, put it back in and then looked at scale, whoops. Im glad I didn't flatline the suspension. I have yet to install a cartridge that went completely smooth.
Anyway, I know it needs probably 25-50 hours to come into its own so I will just comment on my initial impressions. It sounds beautiful. The bass is so much quicker than with the OC9. More contained with the same umph. It doesn't bleed as much. The top end seems a tad on the closed in side but I am sure this is due to there being one hour of play on this cartridge. Beautiful perfect midrange. I am listening to some very familiar recordings now that always had a few parts that bothered me and I never knew what to attribute it to, phono pre, amp, speakers, or cartridge. I have this Yo Yo Ma record where this female vocalist sings a very high note that always seemed to distort a bit at the highest frequency. Not there anymore but maybe with more break in it will come back ...I hope not. I have a Japanese pressing of Neil's Tonights the Night. Im going to spin that next, there are a few parts that never sounded right to me as well.
As far as imaging I can say this. The OC9 always had really really good focus between the speakers but lost its accuracy as the music expanded to the outside. The ART9 (only listened to three records so far but) expands with pinpoint accuracy way beyond the outside of the speakers. I have never heard it so good out of my system. If anyone out there has this cartridge please let me know your impressions as it broke in. I have read the Audiogon stuff about this cartridge and if you are interested do a search over there for the ART. I'm sure they put it into words better than I.

Andy

jtsnead

Re: My new AT-ART9 cartridge just arrived
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2017, 04:56 pm »
25 hours in and the bass has gotten better, imaging outstanding

dodgealum

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2017, 06:47 pm »
Glad you are enjoying your ART 9. Mine sounded good out of the box but needed around 50 hours before it came into its own. One of the best cartridges out there (if not THE best) for under $1K. I also went from an OC9MLII, which is very strong for the money. The ART 9 works great on the Scout and Classic series tables, but will mate well with any arm that is in the medium/low mass category. I just compared my ART 9 to two other cartridges, one costing twice as much, here:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/3-cartridges-reviewed

The ART 9 easily held its own. I recently switched arms so needed a slightly lower compliance cartridge so have my ART 9 for sale here and on the USA Audiomart for $765. It has low hours and is in excellent shape. Folks can send me an email or PM if they have questions or interest. I would love to see it find a good home!

jtsnead

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2017, 07:44 pm »
Yes read the thread also have the QB had the OC92 I like the 9 so far what arm and cart r u using now

TABARD

• TemaadAudio
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2021, 06:33 am »
Hi, The Art-9 is a wonderful sounding cartridge, but just be careful, they are not as robust as many on the market. I managed to stuff the suspension on mine after only 2 weeks of use. I have never, ever had that happen with any other cart, and I used well over 30 over the last few years.

Cheers

NoRust

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2023, 03:31 pm »
New to the site and realize this is an older post but timely to me as I am seriously considering purchasing an AT ART-9XI.  Realize its different from the OP's AT ART-9XA. The comment on "robustness" brings up a red flag and I am curious as to any thoughts on this from AT owners of this cartridge?

jtsnead

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2023, 04:41 pm »
Like any cartridge if you bump it it can bend, I did this with my ART9 and had it fixed by VAS in NY, he just
had to realign it. I moved up to the XI and I liked it better than the original ART9 as far as overall sound quality.

I wouldn't worry about the coast of this model is very good for the sound you get

Now I am a DS Audio user and wont go back to MC, MI, or MM on my main table