New earplugs on Indiegogo

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
New earplugs on Indiegogo
« on: 17 Oct 2016, 04:48 pm »
My search for the perfect earplugs continues.

A company on Indiegogo is looking for crowd funding for a new earplug that promises great things but the company makes curious claims: "Solid metal is a good conductor and so had been discounted as unsuitable for use in ear protectors. Davies has discovered is that, in order to conduct sound, metals need a direct connection. Without a direct connection solid metals block sound perfectly! When you isolate a small piece of metal or dense material in soft foam inside your ear, sound waves can't penetrate from the flexible medium of air and it becomes the perfect isolator."   
The plugs can block unwanted noises (snoring, jet engines, motocycles etc.) but you can still listen to music because of 'bone conduction'.

Then they show a video of a blond dancer swirling her hair about and showing off her flat stomach and navel
and happily dancing to loud music while wearing the plugs. This tactic will undoubtedly keep the attention of viewers longer than if I was dancing around and showing off my navel.

ISOLATE - Switch off your ears | Indiegogo

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/isolate-switch-off-your-ears--4#/

Sent from my iPad

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Re: New earplugs on Indiegogo
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2016, 06:21 pm »
If you want perfect earplugs you need a perfect fit.
Find an audiologist/Hearing Aid Practitioner and have custom molded plugs made for you.

If you want maximum noise reduction you can get 'noise blockers'
If you want to use them at concerts you can get 'musician plugs'.

Regarding the ones you posted,
bone-conduction does not allow only music to get through.
In fact almost all frequencies can get be transmitted via bone conduction, with < 1kHz being most prominent.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: New earplugs on Indiegogo
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2016, 07:42 pm »
Ugh, there's a lot of misinformation in that video, and there's nothing "new" about blocking sound with dense materials.

Metal body plugs have been around a while... V-Moda Faders comes to mind.