Primaluna with Maggies

rikirk

Primaluna with Maggies
« on: 9 Jul 2016, 05:37 pm »
Been a happy owner of a Karan Acoustics K-180MkII for a very long time, which happily replaced the classic Classe Audio six and fifteen combo, I had to give a try to the Primaluna and I put my hands on a Premium Integrated KT120 hoping in a good match for the 1.7i, although I have some concern on giving up a fully balanced class A system.

I guess 4Ohm and UL is the right set-up, but I know there are few knowledgeable gentlemen in the community that have the same combo and I kindly ask for a precious feedback.

And since I am planning for 3.7i this fall, do you think the std will do enough vs. the HP. My room size is 20 x 27 with dedicated separate power lines under surge protector for analogue and digital and no power conditioning.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Primaluna with Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2016, 08:47 pm »
No Primaluna owners here?

rikirk

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2016, 09:53 pm »
Thank you Steve for the consideration. The amp is coming tomorrow and I will report my findings after the weekend.

TitaniumTroy

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2016, 03:02 am »
I am looking forward to your impressions of the Prima Luna, I was thinking about bi-amping my 3.6s and using the Prima Luna's for the mid/treble.

rikirk

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2016, 11:24 pm »
I am looking forward to your impressions of the Prima Luna, I was thinking about bi-amping my 3.6s and using the Prima Luna's for the mid/treble.

I have no experience in bi-amping maggies, and the only thing I can say, this integrated amp is no fuss and a serious contender to the Karan. Somehow they share the same sound signature, while the transistor has more hump and fuller body, the tube has more detail mostly because of more air and separation between instruments.

I spent half of this gloomy day with my reference recordings and I enjoyed the listening for most of the time.

1.7 do require power and the standard premium dialogue delivers right enough playing loud in my reverberant room. I measured the SPL again to be sure I had the right setup and by ear and JBL toolkit I finally placed the bass side of the panel just a quarter of an inch closer to the listening position.

I will dig in more in a week or so when my new tube DAC is coming, before comparing both amps neck to neck again and making the sad decision between the twos.

Klavierman

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2016, 06:18 am »
No Primaluna owners here?

I have their Premium Dialogue HP--but no Maggies! I use it to drive DALI Epicon 2s.  I'd love a pair of big Maggies, but my wife would leave me.  :D She's mulling over the possibility of Martin Logan Montis speakers. They have a much higher WAF.