JT’s STEREO MUSIC LISTENING MANiFESTO

witchdoctor

Re: JT’s STEREO MUSIC LISTENING MANiFESTO
« Reply #40 on: 5 Sep 2017, 12:54 pm »
Sorry, I don't understand why active speakers are better than passive speakers?  I am a traditional two-channel system fan, and I don't get the rational for preferring active speakers from a sound quality perspective.  Being something of a neophyte in the area of new audio technology, I assume you mean powered speakers are better than non-powered.  Thanks.

Here you go, this paper does a pretty good job explaining active speakers vs. passive. If you have a music store in your area like Guitar Center you can audition active speakers for yourself:

http://www.pteacoustics.com/linked/the%20case%20for%20powered%20speakers.pdf

this is good too:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/feature-article-active-speakers-12-2002.html

TJ-Sully

Re: JT’s STEREO MUSIC LISTENING MANiFESTO
« Reply #41 on: 14 Oct 2017, 12:12 am »
Hi Mag,

I know how good the Bryston speakers are and honestly I would put them up against any speaker using the same design philosophy regardless of price. There has been a huge amount of research in this area and the reason the Bryston Model T's speakers work so well in your room is in fact because they are designed to provide as wide and even a polar response as current technology allows.

When you are listening to a loudspeaker in a room you are always listening to a balance between the ‘Direct Sound’ and the ‘Reflected Sound’ from the boundaries of the room – this is called the ‘Power Response or Sound Power.’ It is that balance between direct and reflected energy which changes depending on the frequency radiation pattern (polar response) of the given speaker and the boundaries of the room the speaker is placed in. Dipoles, Bipolar, Omnipoles, Direct Radiators, Horns etc. all behave differently due to their specific radiation patterns and therefore exhibit different power responses in any specific room. Bryston has chosen a direct radiator approach in the design of our loudspeakers for numerous reasons but one critical reason is because we feel it is currently the best way to accomplish the correct balance between direct and reflected energy in real world listening rooms based on lots of research into the way real speakers behave in real rooms.

What the ear hears is a mix of this direct and reflected energy and if the off-axis polar response of the speaker is very flat and uniform relative to the on axis the reflected energy has the same tonal balance as the on-axis energy which provides for a huge sound stage.

james

Brilliant James. Nicely articulated. I get it.  And LOVE it. 

Thanks for thinking of real world rooms in your speaker designs. It obviously has made a huge impact...for the good! 

Cheers T