The Vietnam War

Mr P

The Vietnam War
« on: 26 Sep 2017, 04:07 pm »
Ten part documentary on PBS. I have watched the first 4.  Very well told.  I have found parts to be intense and disturbing. This is one of the best things I have seen on television in a very long time.

gab

Re: The Vietnam War
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2017, 08:41 pm »
Ten part documentary on PBS. I have watched the first 4.  Very well told.  I have found parts to be intense and disturbing. This is one of the best things I have seen on television in a very long time.

Agree! Kudos to those 2 directors. I'm on #7. You can also get the soundtrack on the PBS site for $20 (CD) as well as other digital options. Highly recommended as you will learn a lot about this war you maybe didn't realize / understand very well.

gab

drphoto

Re: The Vietnam War
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2017, 10:48 pm »
Just started to watch, thanks for the heads up on this.  I've been watching another on Netflix called "Brothers in War" which is focused on on Army company that was sent into the Mekong Delta during the last years.

Always had a fascination with this subject as I grew up with it on TV. I was 15 when the US pulled out. Read a comprehensive history on subject probably 20 years ago. Mark Bowden, who is best known for the book "Black Hawk Down" has a new on on the Tet offensive that focuses specifically on the battle at Hue. Want to get that.

Hopefully, I'm helping out a bit, as most of the vets at the VA hospital where I work in Louisville are from the Viet era. We have very few of the younger, Gulf War soldiers.