Suggestions for my friend's secondary system

Lyndon

Suggestions for my friend's secondary system
« on: 27 Jan 2012, 11:12 pm »
My friend has a secondary system, and was wanting suggestions for a new receiver and carousel turntable.
His speakers are older Infinity two-ways.
He was looking at the Harmon Kardon 3490 receiver and the Yamaha Carousel CDC-697BL.
I thought there was an older Sony Carousel, which played SACD as well, that was considered to have a high quality sound for both SACD and redbook.
Anyway, any suggestions on other gear that is price comparable to these units?
Lyndon :|

jk@home

Re: Suggestions for my friend's secondary system
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:01 am »
Can't help you with the receiver other than my son has a HK, seems like a decent unit. He uses it with some Insignias from Best Buy.

But if your buddy has a PC with any decent amount of storage space, I would get a Squeezebox Touch, in lew of and for the same price as that carousel.

Lyndon

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:12 am »
Thanks, Jk.
He won't go the PC route.  But I told him he needs to have some type of USB port for iPods, or the like.  He does use his nano when the two of us are out long distance bike riding so he understands the idea.  I don't like HK, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. nickel and diming for the dock station.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2012, 02:00 am »
I think this link from JandR pretty much sums up the space: HK, Denon, Onkyo, Sherwood, Sony, Teac, Yamaha.

http://www.jr.com/category/audio/receivers/n/4294605670/

Pick your price point and feature set. The newer models from Onkyo for example have built in internet radio/streaming.

Lyndon

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2012, 02:19 am »
DoubleJ we hit the same number of posts on this thread. :lol:

You stated:
The newer models from Onkyo for example have built in internet radio/streaming.

So let me get this straight.  With a wifi dongle in the back, he could stream Spotify from his ISP modem/router from the basement to the upstairs stereo?.  I think he would like that.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:05 pm »
DoubleJ we hit the same number of posts on this thread. :lol:

You stated:
So let me get this straight.  With a wifi dongle in the back, he could stream Spotify from his ISP modem/router from the basement to the upstairs stereo?.  I think he would like that.

That is my understanding. You can download the manual for the model of interest from the Onkyo website and see in more detail how it works.