Thinking of repurposing my VMPS Tower IIs.

mjmessina

Thinking of repurposing my VMPS Tower IIs.
« on: 11 Oct 2012, 12:39 am »
I was going to sell them, but then I started to think, why not take the crossovers, the four 12” drivers and the two passives and build two subs.  Each with 2-12” and a passive.

Does anyone have experience with sub building and would this be a good thing to do?
Any other suggestions?

John Casler

Re: Thinking of repurposing my VMPS Tower IIs.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:27 am »
I was going to sell them, but then I started to think, why not take the crossovers, the four 12” drivers and the two passives and build two subs.  Each with 2-12” and a passive.

Does anyone have experience with sub building and would this be a good thing to do?
Any other suggestions?

You would have to seal the openings, and add 2  12" Megawoofers or UltraMegawoofers and a BigBump PR per speaker.

They would be quite effective and powerful.

Taterworks

Re: Thinking of repurposing my VMPS Tower IIs.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2012, 02:16 am »
It should be possible to build a pair of subs using the original enclosures, or in new enclosures that replicate the internal air volume of the original enclosures, using the original passive radiators. If there are any concerns about the passive radiators, you should probably have them re-foamed; Parts Express has a speaker repair center that does a good job.

I have four VMPS 12" WCF midbass drivers (single magnet, solid pole piece) without phase plugs that I bought second-hand, and I have always been a fan of the unconventional VMPS bass loading principle. Dayton Audio has a 12" passive radiator that can operate down-firing, though not with any additional mass, and I have thought about buying a couple to build a stereo pair of subs with the WCF woofers I have. The only thing potentially off-putting is the size of the box required.