Are we on the verge of a SS revolution???

maty

Re: Are we on the verge of a SS revolution???
« Reply #140 on: 13 Mar 2018, 04:59 pm »
I also. I have been following Tony Gee for years. Except for the high price they have everything I ask for speakers for a large room. But I can only enjoy my musics in the other room.  :cry:

It is amazing how he have optimized the woofer, unlike Troel Gravesen's initial design. And without resistors!!!!!!!

-> http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JA8008-HMQ.htm

-> -> http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-mkIII-FLAT.htm

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #141 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:01 pm »
Thats a kit I've been very interested in building since first reading it was in the works.

Mike, you need to get out more!

Boring speakers that have been done 1000x before...   :P

bavmike

« Reply #142 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:07 pm »
Mike, you need to get out more!

Boring speakers that have been done 1000x before...   :P

Listen first then judge! :) For some people all they want is a compact speaker. A speaker like that would be great to use to do gear demo's as it's compact and easy to pack around.

Photon46

« Reply #143 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:28 pm »
Maty, it does seem odd that Tidal doesn't cite sensitivity, you aren't the first to question that.  I have no way of verifying the truth of this this one way or another but Tidal's owner says that their reluctance to specify sensitivity is because they feel their competitors are not accurate and consistent in the way their sensitivity ratings are stated and don't wish to "play that game" one might say. Personally I don't really care what their exact sensitivity ratings are and their statement as to their tube friendliness is quite accurate. 25 EL34 watts per channel is enough to drive them louder than I'd ever care to listen in my 90 cubic meter room. My general preferred listening level is 82-83 db. C weighted slow response.

Mike, I'm stuck in the disc spinning mode when I listen to digital - no DACs for me. Spinners are either a Luxman D-05 SACD/CD or an Arcam FMJ CD37 for background listening. Maybe when the day comes and I retire I'll pursue migrating my hard media and converting some of my couple thousand lps to files for a DAC based system.

maty

« Reply #144 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:57 pm »
Days ago, in KEF LS50 thread in Diyaudio forums I commented -many posts- that the sensitivity was 83 dB and not the 85 dB that the manufacturer says. Adding that the minimum impedance is really 3.3 Ohms and not 3.7 Ohms or 8 Ohms nominal it turns out that amplifiers with many more watts are needed for them to sound properly.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/218281-kef-ls50-post5363028.html

-> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/218281-kef-ls50-post5367402.html

Among those who hide data and others fake data that consumers are sold.

maty

« Reply #145 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:35 pm »
 :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ac-ipurifier/

[Big IMG] https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/AC-2-2.jpg

I do not know the AC iPurifier graph attenuation but the Passive attenuation of the graph is a manipulation.

Schaffner FN 9244B:

https://www.schaffner.com/product-storage/datasheets/fn-9244/

[IMG] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/IEC-inlet-filter-Schaffner-FN_9244-typical-filter-attenuation.png

* With DAC, phono, preamp and class A amplifiers only we need 1A.

* With class AB amplifiers < 3A in Europe (230V).

How many Hi-Fi systems need 12A or 15A? In this case we have 5 dB at 10 kHz. 10 dB at 100 kHz and about 18 dB at 1 MHz.

The iFi graph: 0 dB at 10 kHz, 100 kHz and 1 MHz.

*Scotty*

« Reply #146 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:39 pm »
Perhaps the KEF LS50 is intended more for near field applications or small rooms. It is unlikely that a 5.25in. driver will handle more than 100watts on a long term basis whether it's is 82dB or 85dB is moot if the speaker isn't used in application that it is ill suited for.
 I do agree that the speaker make severe demands on the partnering amplifier ability to supply current but it does not follow that a 400watt/8ohms amplifier is the best approach a 100w/ch amp that can double its output down to 2ohms might be a better sounding choice.
Scotty

debjit.g

« Reply #147 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:46 pm »
Spinners are either a Luxman D-05 SACD/CD or an Arcam FMJ CD37 for background listening. Maybe when the day comes and I retire I'll pursue migrating my hard media and converting some of my couple thousand lps to files for a DAC based system.

Ever think of getting the D-08u ?

wushuliu

« Reply #148 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:55 pm »
Do you really want to start this debate all over again.  :( 

I guess 17 posts before it hits the Intergalactic Waste Bin.

The facilitator doesn't seem to have a problem with the direction it's taken.

What is this thread about again?

Are we there yet?

wushuliu

« Reply #149 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:09 pm »
There won't be a Class D revolution until Class D amps are made to also weigh 100lbs. That simple. If you are shelling out big bucks for an amp the perception is, right or wrong, it's gotta have real heft. A fat number to slap on the brochure and website. Cause you're not buying it off Amazon, ur goin to a dealer and saying you want the Fire, the dank. That dealer is not gonna wanna take you to a room where there's a small box that weighs 10lbs. He is gonna want to take you to a room so he can say it's so heavy I have to bring you to it. It takes two men with strong beards to set this up. It has fins, because the HEAT. Requires cables the thickness of an arm, a STRONG arm. The GIRTH. And you say, mmmm, take my money.

That dealer is not going to want to take you to a special room and show you an amp that can fit in Amazon frustration free package no matter how blinged out the enclosure and tell you about how simple it is, how technologically advanced it is, how it slides right next to your AppleTV, and the space age design. You're gonna go, huh, bet my significant other would love that. How many men does it take to lift the other one again?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #150 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:15 pm »
There won't be a Class D revolution until Class D amps are made to also weigh 100lbs. That simple. If you are shelling out big bucks for an amp the perception is, right or wrong, it's gotta have real heft. A fat number to slap on the brochure and website. Cause you're not buying it off Amazon, ur goin to a dealer and saying you want the Fire, the dank. That dealer is not gonna wanna take you to a room where there's a small box that weighs 10lbs. He is gonna want to take you to a room so he can say it's so heavy I have to bring you to it. It takes two men with strong beards to set this up. It has fins, because the HEAT. Requires cables the thickness of an arm, a STRONG arm. The GIRTH. And you say, mmmm, take my money.

That dealer is not going to want to take you to a special room and show you an amp that can fit in Amazon frustration free package no matter how blinged out the enclosure and tell you about how simple it is, how technologically advanced it is, how it slides right next to your AppleTV, and the space age design. You're gonna go, huh, bet my significant other would love that. How many men does it take to lift the other one again?

You have a point... top end amps must be coffee-table sized and have $20k into the enclosure.

It is true there are some thing that are impossible to fight against, and learned perceptions are one of them. 

2bigears

« Reply #151 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:27 pm »
 :D Well VAC has nothing to worry about then except going under water soon.   Ha.
        65,000.00 dollar amps.  Girlfriends love that stuff.   :D

debjit.g

« Reply #152 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:32 pm »
All the big monster amps, like VAC and ARC 750, if they intelligent could run a Class D amp inside, still keeping those big honking tubes glowing for nothing  :lol:

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #153 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:42 pm »
I actually quite like the Nord NC500 based mono amps. A friend sent me his pair to try, and I was almost satisfied with them enough to purchase a pair. I need to try some of bavmike's creations I think, just to see if indeed, Class D is where I need it to be now. Again, the Nord's with the Sparkos opamps were indeed very good, just not quite there for me.

I am all about the light weight and affordability, so long as they perform.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #154 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:47 pm »
There won't be a Class D revolution until Class D amps are made to also weigh 100lbs. That simple. If you are shelling out big bucks for an amp the perception is, right or wrong, it's gotta have real heft.

That might be true for the simple minded, but it is totally absurd for those who only care about obtaining the very best possible fidelity technologically available.  :D

wushuliu

« Reply #155 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:51 pm »
That might be true for the simple minded

Yikes.

Wind Chaser

wushuliu

« Reply #157 on: 13 Mar 2018, 08:00 pm »
Also, I'd just like to point out the possible misinterpretation of the words 'SS Revolution'.

Just sayin.

Are we there yet?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #158 on: 13 Mar 2018, 08:07 pm »
Also, I'd just like to point out the possible misinterpretation of the words 'SS Revolution'.

How so? In the context of what this website is about, and not about, I don't see how that is possible.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #159 on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:01 pm »
How about this... There have been NO real sonic revolutions in solid state analog technology (amps/preamps/turntables/tape deck's, tuners, etc.) since the 70's. I base this on my experience, so my flak jacket is on, and I am well armed.   :lol: