Damaged amplifier conundrum

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Damaged amplifier conundrum
« on: 12 Sep 2016, 04:15 pm »
I've got a SimAudio i3.3 integrated amp with DAC & phono preamp modules that was damaged last year during shipment. What happened was discussed in a thread on AC. Anyway, it is still sitting in its box waiting for me to do something.

I could ship it to Bernard at SimAudio who may be able to repair it for approximately $700 plus shipping. This was a best guess based on my lovely iPhone photos. However, Bernard said it was possible there was more unseen damage (IC board, etc.) that might not be repairable because there are no more IC boards for the i3.3.

The insurance I purchased from Agon last year for shipping reimbursed me for the value of the amp, but I still lost about $180 from shipping both ways and a boxing and return shipping insurance charge.

One year ago, this amp had a resale value of ~$1500, so I could potentially make a few hundred dollars from repairing it and selling it.

Based on this scant information (if you were me), would you:

Send it to SimAudio and cross your fingers for a good outcome?

Dismantle it for parts?

Donate it to Goodwill or similar business?

Sell it to a DIY audiophile for $180?

Give it away in the Karma circle?

Toss it in the dumpster?

Use it for target practice?

Something else?

I thank you for any suggestions.

Michael

OzarkTom

Re: Damaged amplifier conundrum
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2016, 04:30 pm »
There are a lot of damaged items sold on Ebay, sell it as is for parts.

orientalexpress

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2016, 05:14 pm »
sell it to audiophile for DIY parts. :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2016, 05:15 pm »
I think Tom's got the right idea, eBay will likely fetch it's actual value. Let folks here and other sites know, and I think you'd be assured of a sale and at least a partial recapture of your expenses.

On the selfish side, if you Karma  it, I'd be in the running.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2016, 06:55 pm »
I think Tom's got the right idea, eBay will likely fetch it's actual value. Let folks here and other sites know, and I think you'd be assured of a sale and at least a partial recapture of your expenses.

On the selfish side, if you Karma  it, I'd be in the running.

I vote for Karma and almost hope there is wood case damage so we can see what The Praying Mantis would come up with :thankyou:

Grasshopper

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2016, 08:23 pm »
I would ship it back to the builder (uninsured) for evaluation.  It could also be less than $700 to repair it. When you sell it on epay for next to nothing, pay all the fees, (listing fee, epay percentage , paypal fees, shipping fees) you'll potentially be upside down. If it's not worth fixing after evaluation, you're only out the shipping 1 way and no hassle. Leave it with the builder.

bummrush

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2016, 04:01 pm »
Forget ebay they'll suck you dry,back to manufacturer, thats the only way to get problem fixed the right way.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2016, 04:37 pm »
Thanks, everyone.

I'll contact Moon Audio to get the ball rolling on this.

Michael