Making pictures vs taking

drphoto

Re: Making pictures vs taking
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:13 am »
Damn! those are great pics!!! I love that first one. No kidding. I'd put that in my book. That's first rate. I love the way the  lights visually balance the the tent. Crap!!! and compositionally, they point you to the main part of the image.

Well done my friend.  Rest are good,I like the first dance. But first one is special.

and thank you for the kind words about my stuff. It's a work in progress. It's weird, I'm just now finding my 'voice' so to speak as a photographer, but find myself doing this short term stint in pharmacy at the trauma center.

Be back to real life when we get clear of trauma season, which is usually end of Sept or so.

I hope this doesn't gross anyone out, and I'm not violating any laws since no names, but we had a guy come in who got hit by car on motorcycle at 01:00. Car leaves. Then dude who is down gets run over by second car. crushed chest, above knee LE amp. Not sure about that outcome.

And that's trauma season. folks.......

bside123

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:19 am »
pics?  :o

drphoto

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:22 am »
Oh, and what do I do at the hospital. Make sure PT gets the right meds at right dose on time. Make sure no compability  or drug allergy problems. About 10% of people allergic to penicillin. and we use a ton of a penicillin derivative.

BTW: what a lot of people call allergies, are really side effects. Codeine, a narcotic pain killer and or cough suppressant can cause nausea. That's a side effect.

An allergy is something like hives, or worse medically problems with breathing.

Damn. rambling again.......

drphoto

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:23 am »
bside. The wedding pics you posted!

bside123

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:27 am »
bside. The wedding pics you posted!

Oh sorry.... I was being morbidly sarcastic and wondering if you have any pics of your trauma work... like crushed chests and crashed motorcycles. There's being an oft repeated refrain here on AC, when it comes to claims and events... no pics? Didn't happen...  :thumb: Forgive my baaad sense of humor.

drphoto

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:34 am »
sorry. That one sailed right past me. Nope. I can't post pics of that that stuff for legal reasons, but I know know you're kidding.

Ummm I thought you'd be a little more excited that a pro shooter liked your work.

It is very good.

& I'm not being polite.

bside123

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:40 am »
sorry. That one sailed right past me. Nope. I can't post pics of that that stuff for legal reasons, but I know know you're kidding.

Ummm I thought you'd be a little more excited that a pro shooter liked your work.

It is very good.

& I'm not being polite.

Yea... of course I'm kidding.

And... thanks for the compliments... really. Sorry, if I didn't seem appreciative. Truly I am. Thanks!

drphoto

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:45 am »
Maybe you just got lucky on that first one. But look at what I'm saying a about the 3 lights on the left and how they balance the tent, but yet lead you in visually. If you did that on purpose......it's friggin genius. OH and the tree that is backlit by those lights, that mimics the shape of the tent........holey cow.

If luck, use that knowledge down the road. Sometimes the best ideas just fall in your lap.

Ok, if I could change something, I'd show a bit more on the right, and a bit less on left. In other words, tiny nudge of cam to right. If I have any beef with this pic, it's the right crop being a bit tight.

But again, DAMN. I'd be proud to show this.

:D

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2016, 03:41 am »
"Making" an image is not restricted to studio or post processing.  "Previewing" a potential scene is a critical skill necessary to tell the story.

I shoot (or used to shoot) most anything, and like to survey the situation and move my position/focus/focal length to juxtapose foreground vs background.  I consider it assembling an image to tell the story I want, to use elements available to me.  I try to include everything that contributes to my "vision," and eliminate anything that detracts from what I see.

This image was a spontaneous joke on one of my students.  I "saw" it from 20 years away and ran up behind him to compose foreground and background to tell the story, and to answer once and for all the question "do these shorts make my ass look big?"

The next one was assembled to tell a different story that revolves around people being pissed at the guys in red.  The vehicles identify where/when (to a select audience), and the guys in red are blocking their car's success.

Anywho, that's how I assemble an image.   ;)

drphoto

« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2016, 02:02 am »
Sorry, I know this is a long dead topic. But revisiting what brick said. I'm not nor ever will be a landscape/nature photographer, but Ansel was (and is) one of my heroes. He always said that people thought what he is was 'realistic',  but he said it was his interpretation of what he saw. And there was nothing 'realistic' about it.

He talked often a about the idea of pre visualizing the image ......seeing the final image in your mind  before you release the shutter. Even envisioning the final print.

When I'm on my game, this is how I work. But then again, sometimes I just get lucky. But then other times, I throw a gutter ball.

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 24 Oct 2016, 03:09 am »
I just look in the viewfinder, wait until something interesting comes along, then press the shutter button.