What is a good headphone with a mini-jack, for MacBook?

Waker

I want to buy a pair of over-the-ear phones for my MacBook Pro for casual listening, price up to $150.  What sounds fairly good in this range? How much can a computer drive in a headphone--is small better? 

milford3

Re: What is a good headphone with a mini-jack, for MacBook?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2015, 08:06 pm »
The Grado SR125e should do it.  This model is rated at 32 Ohms.  Not much to power them but I would recommend an amp.

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series/item/3-sr125e

Waker

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2015, 09:33 am »
Thanks very much, Milford---Grado it shall be. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm »
I really like the Grado sound and own a pair of RS2i, but it should be noted these are not over the ear phones, they are on the ear phones.  For a good circumaural phone at that price I would recommend the JVC HARX900 for way under your price, $62 on Amazon now, or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x at a little closer to your price at $140 on Amazon.  I own the JVC and they are just killer for the price, I did a couple of simple mods that improved the sound even more.  The AT x model gives you improved ear pads and detachable cables, different from the older model without the x, and a little more bass emphasis than the JVC, the JVC has better soundstaging.  I wouldn't stress about the mini plug as you can get an adaptor at Radio Shack, but I'm sure the JVC has one and I think the AT has one.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2015, 07:53 am »
I want to buy a pair of over-the-ear phones for my MacBook Pro for casual listening, price up to $150.  What sounds fairly good in this range? How much can a computer drive in a headphone--is small better? 

The size of a headphone has nothing to do with how easy it is to drive.

Do you have any requirements in terms of portability or noise isolation? Do you have a preferred sound signature?

Waker

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2015, 02:17 pm »
Do you have any requirements in terms of portability or noise isolation? Do you have a preferred sound signature?

No requirements on portability, external noise would be ok--I see now the Grado would be an on-the-ear, open back set, and that's ok, just don't want something in-the-ear.  I see that the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter is how this is done. Regarding sound signature--I've never had a nice pair--would just like a clean, non-fatiguing sound that will not damage my hearing.  Noob that I am, anything in a decent set is going to impress me. My last headphone experience was with a Sony Discman and those 2" foam phones for about $20 at BB.  Those sounded good for the money, I thought at the time.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2015, 02:48 pm »
You are in for a treat.  You could also drive Sennheiser momentums out of your MacBook.
They are a bit more laid back than the Grado's , but have better imaging and sound staging IMO.
enjoy,
Hibuck...

Waker

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2015, 05:13 am »
Now thinking the SR225e for $200 would be the best value for price.  How are these better than the SR125e? Do these come with a dedicated 1/8" jack?  Thanks!

Armaegis

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2015, 06:51 am »
I will echo the recommendation for the Sennheiser Momentum. It has a nice warm tonality, very comfortable, good durability, and is portable if needed. Pricing should be within your budget when on sale, or find one use.

Grados can get fatiguing fast.

willsw

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2015, 11:19 am »
Jet.com is currently selling the Sennheiser HD 598 for $159, and if it's your first time buying you can use the 20NOW coupon to get 20% off for a nice, free-shipped $127. If you've bought from jet.com before, you can still get 15% off with SHOPWITH15. It comes with a 1/4" jack, but also with a 1/4"-mini adapter, and unlike its bigger brothers only has 50 ohms impedance, so your macbook will have no problem driving it. If you prefer the all black special edition version, evidently it will be around $100 on Amazon on Black Friday itself, but I don't know where that info came from.

Or, you could go with the Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones, which Steve Guttenberg mentioned preferring over the HD 598 for un-amped use, which are available from a few sellers used on Amazon currently for about $136 shipped and up.

Waker

« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2015, 10:18 pm »
Ok, I am being steered toward Sennheiser, and that's fine with me--I have no allegiance at this point.  So there are the Momentums and the 598's. I like the idea of an open back--not sure why, probably because I listen to Maggies. I don't need a high SPL, don't like hard-hitting bass---a balanced sound is good for me. I am most concerned with not incurring hearing loss through distortion or loudness.  Open back then? Or are the Momentums a big leap up over the 598s?  Thanks!

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2015, 11:35 pm »
In a different direction..... Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO 32 Ohm for easy drivability moreover enclosed so you can use what puny amp that socket has efficiently.  Read all around the net for reviews of all the headphones mentioned BEFORE committing to purchase any of them. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2015, 01:26 am »
Ok, I am being steered toward Sennheiser, and that's fine with me--I have no allegiance at this point.  So there are the Momentums and the 598's. I like the idea of an open back--not sure why, probably because I listen to Maggies. I don't need a high SPL, don't like hard-hitting bass---a balanced sound is good for me. I am most concerned with not incurring hearing loss through distortion or loudness.  Open back then? Or are the Momentums a big leap up over the 598s?  Thanks!

First, let me get past a pet peeve: Using correct terminology. A jack is something you put a plug into. Headphones will have plugs that go into some kind of jack on the selected piece of equipment.

OK now, Senn 598 vs Momentum:
The Senn 555 and 558 (predecessors to the 595 and 598) were known for developing hairline cracks at the top of the ear cup assembly. Don't know if they fixed this in the 595/598 but even if they did, the Momentum build quality is much more rugged. They'll probably still be working when your kids are your age. The Momentum has a fairly pronounced "warm" signature whereas the 598 and the almost identical 595 tend towards the "bright" side. You pays your money...

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:41 am »
Remember too that the Momentum's are a line of headphones by Sennheiser, not just one headphone.  There are two general models, one on the ear and cheaper, one over the ear and slightly more expensive.  Then all the subsets of one's for Android devices, one for Apple, and the wireless models, all of these we can dispense with unless you want to run them from your phone or Bluetooth.  IMHO the over the ear model is significantly better than the on the ear model, which I found a little thin sounding.  The over the ear model runs around $200 + or - depending on color. Yes, there are also about a zillion, okay, 4 or 5, different colors in each model and the price varies depending on the popularity of the color.  A nice headphone for driving with laptops and phones as the impedance is very low, 16 ohms as I recall.

Armaegis

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2015, 07:52 am »
The DT770 is rather bass heavy, and even the 32ohm version is not the easiest to drive (sensitivity is the proper spec to look at anyways, not impedance) and the entire family appreciates a headphone amp behind them. I will give points to the DT770 for sheer durability and arguably comfort. If you have big ears then the Beyer DT series are quite roomy. That said, I'd pick the DT880 over the DT770 any day unless you need sound isolation (which Waker does not). The DT990 is more open than the DT880, but the 880 is a much more balanced tone.

The Momentum 2.0 over-ear has larger pad openings than the 1.0, if size is a concern.

The Senn HD5xx family are fine headphones. They never did fix the cracking issue, but generally this is just an aesthetic thing and the cracks don't progres beyond the first couple millimetres. There were some crazy deals on the HD598 last black Friday and boxing day.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2015, 10:48 am »
The early suggestion of Grados is probably a good one all around as long as the user finds them comfortable. I don't, particularly. To me, if a headphone isn't comfortable, it's "game over".

Letitroll makes a good point- Momentum is practically a 'sub-brand" now, with different styles, sizes and colors- evidence of the "blinging" of Sennheiser.

Another good choice- assuming the OP isn't looking for isolation- might be the Senneiser PX100 or PX200. Well within budget, good sound, very easy to drive, and foldable. If looking for isolation, an Etymotic or Shure IEM (esp with Comply tips for comfort) would be better choices for that than any budget full-size cans IMO- but IEMs aren't everybody's cup of tea either.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:33 pm »
I use BD DT990 32 Ohms with my MacBook pro.  They are comfortable and sound good.  There is plenty output from the labtop to drive 32 Ohms.  For You Tube videos and streaming sports, I get great sound.  Doesn't compare with my main audio but I can carry this one around. :thumb:
It's not isolated but doesn't seem bother my wife sleeping next to me when I am catching up with sports late night in bed.

Edit:  Amazon warehouse has a few of open boxes for $202.81.

Waker

« Reply #17 on: 26 Nov 2015, 07:27 am »
I decided on the Sennheiser HD 598's, on sale for $159.  They cover the entire ear and have an open back.  I suppose they would really perform with an amp, so any suggestions on one for around $100-150 if there is one?  I will be happy enough just through the MacBook Pro, but might as well open it up for discussion. Thanks to all for the guidance.

Waker

« Reply #19 on: 26 Nov 2015, 06:19 pm »
I see lot of great testimonials on the Dragonfly and on Schiit for around $150.  This stuff looks like a lot of fun, so give me the best combo and hookup for a cheap DAC and amp.  How about these Kabel Direkt plugs that take a 3.5mm jack to two RCA plugs? They appear to be high quality for just a few dollars, or is a USB output from the Mac a better way?