New CDWG's NOW available

monsterbill

• **Click the URL (globe icon below) to see my audio set ups:*
    • My audio set ups:
Re: New CDWG's NOW available
« Reply #60 on: 14 May 2011, 08:29 pm »
Removing the foam from the old CDWG reflects most of the energy back into the driver, generating large amounts of IM distortion.  It sounds awful.

Is this true even if the new CDWG is underneath?  I'm just wondering if, after I install the new CDWG, I would always have to remove the old CDWG grill even when I wasn't doing critical listening, just HT.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #61 on: 14 May 2011, 09:26 pm »
In that case, certainly.  Remove the foam from the old CDWG and the new CDWG's will fit underneath. 

monsterbill

• My audio set ups:
« Reply #62 on: 16 May 2011, 01:11 am »
In that case, certainly.  Remove the foam from the old CDWG and the new CDWG's will fit underneath.

Cool.  Count me in.

I think I might try to cut the old foam to shape around the new CDWG inserts, and leave just this cut-out portion glued to the old grills.  Hopefully this will minimize the internal reflections when I'm too lazy to take the old CWDG grills off. 
« Last Edit: 16 May 2011, 02:22 am by monsterbill »

rbfletch

« Reply #63 on: 11 Jun 2011, 03:34 pm »
What will new RM30's have for "grills"?  Is it the same for each model?  Does it still look like the picture on the Website?  My guess from this discussion is that new 30RM'S grills ship with no foam on the backside of the grill and extend from the top to the bottom of the speaker including the 2  round woofer "grills"....true?  My second guess is that you would not recommend keeping the grills on for critical listening....true?  My WAF goes down with the grills off, so I hope the difference is not significant.  Thanks.

Shear Bliss

« Reply #64 on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:15 am »
C"mon ... Pez, dont be such a putz ................................ geez!

DW.

Pez

« Reply #65 on: 12 Jun 2011, 01:37 pm »
3 questions,

1. Who are you?
2. Why are you calling me a putz?
3. Why shouldn't I beat you to death with your own severed arm?

JDUBS

« Reply #66 on: 12 Jun 2011, 02:19 pm »
3 questions,

1. Who are you?
2. Why are you calling me a putz?
3. Why shouldn't I beat you to death with your own severed arm?

Ha!!!   :lol:

-Jim

Downtheline

« Reply #67 on: 14 Jun 2011, 05:35 am »
What will new RM30's have for "grills"?  Is it the same for each model?  Does it still look like the picture on the Website?  My guess from this discussion is that new 30RM'S grills ship with no foam on the backside of the grill and extend from the top to the bottom of the speaker including the 2  round woofer "grills"....true?  My second guess is that you would not recommend keeping the grills on for critical listening....true?  My WAF goes down with the grills off, so I hope the difference is not significant.  Thanks.

I would also like to know if the new 30RMs will ship with the old grill/CDWGs - they really make the 30RMs "live-in girlfriend acceptable". 

By the way - excellent sound at the Newport show, I had to come back a couple times with the girlfriend!

-Edwin
(First post!)

Brian Cheney

« Reply #68 on: 14 Jun 2011, 05:15 pm »
We can ship with a cloth grill or the old style slotted grill.  In either case you should remove the grills for listening, as they inhibit functioning of the new CDWG's.

B

monsterbill

• My audio set ups:
« Reply #69 on: 17 Jun 2011, 07:27 am »
I'm really enjoying these new CDWG's.  My compliments and two nits:

(1) Sounds really great.  Compared to the gen 1 CDWGs, somewhat flatter response through the mids/highs, much better sense of space, air and focus.  For the price, it is a must-have upgrade for folks who are using the gen 1 CDWGs.  (I'll let someone else address whether the folks who hate the gen 1 CDWGs should be persuaded to give this a go.)  I was able to diminish the 1000 hz hump I used to hear with the old CDWGs, but I'm not sure whether this was from improved speaker positioning or the new CDWGs.

(2) Took a few hours of fiddling to balance the mids/highs with the bass, for which I ultimately used the L Pads.  I'd be surprised if anyone could do this with just speaker positioning.

(3) The old slot CDWGs doesn't fit very well over the new CDWGs, even with all the foam removed.  You can bend it so the slot grill "bows" over the new CDWG, but I worry about warping either the grill or the new CDWGs.

rbbert

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jun 2011, 01:32 pm »
What are user's (and dealers/manufacturer's) thoughts on toe-in with the new CDWG's?  Without any waveguides, I was toeing in my RM40's to about 2' in front of me.  Now I'm experimenting with much less (a few feet behind me); the image is deeper, seems just as broad, and little if any change in the tonal balance, but I've only been listening for a couple of days.

ttan98

« Reply #71 on: 18 Jun 2011, 10:23 am »
Brian,

I use 2*HiVi RT8II dynamic tweeter(*) in my speakers, I think the direcitvity of these tweeters can be improved with a waveguide like yours.  I wonder whether

a. Your CDWG can improve the directivity of my tweeter
b. Even if (a) is possible would you sell your waveguide to me

If (a) is possible I do have measuring instrumentation(s/w and h/w) to adjust the spacing of your waveguide to suit my tweeter. I just need a pair of CDWG from you. I welcome a response from you.

* these tweeters are relatively flat from 2kHz to 20Khz but the directivity is poor. For detailed spec refer to site:
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=136&products_id=1491

Brian Cheney

« Reply #72 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:09 pm »
Yes, the Hivi tweeter is way too wide for good directivity above 6 kHz.  The waveguide solves the problem.  If you have two tweeters, you need two pair of waveguides ($40 total w/shipping).  Space the parts 2/3" apart for constant directivity with frequency to 20 kHz.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #73 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:23 pm »
Brian or John,

I'm sorry if I missed this if it has been discussed already. Is there a wave guide for the ribbon tweeters in the RM30?  Thanks.

Scott

John Casler

« Reply #74 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:41 pm »
Brian or John,

I'm sorry if I missed this if it has been discussed already. Is there a wave guide for the ribbon tweeters in the RM30?  Thanks.

Scott

Yes, there are CDWGs for both neopanels and tweeters.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #75 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm »
So a complete set for a pair of RM30 is $160?

ttan98

« Reply #76 on: 19 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm »
Yes, the Hivi tweeter is way too wide for good directivity above 6 kHz.  The waveguide solves the problem.  If you have two tweeters, you need two pair of waveguides ($40 total w/shipping).  Space the parts 2/3" apart for constant directivity with frequency to 20 kHz.

Thanks for yr reply, I live in Australia so can you tell me the total cost incl postage charges of sending a pair there. I assume the CDWG is fairly light the added postal charges  would not be excessive. In order to facilitate this purchase order can you supply me with a Paypal account. no.

John Casler

« Reply #77 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:02 am »
So a complete set for a pair of RM30 is $160?

Yes, that is correct.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #78 on: 20 Jun 2011, 01:13 am »
Add $8 for airmail postage to Australia.  We're not set up for paypal, so mail us an international money order in US dollars.

ttan98

« Reply #79 on: 20 Jun 2011, 02:50 am »
Add $8 for airmail postage to Australia.  We're not set up for paypal, so mail us an international money order in US dollars.

$48 Payable to VMPS Audio Product right.