How do you stream music?

geowak

How do you stream music?
« on: 25 Mar 2015, 10:04 pm »
There are many ACers here who download HIREZ music. There are a few topics that discuss what everyone uses (software and hardware) to do this. I want to know if you stream, how do you do it?

I will start. I have a Pure I-20 (Iphone dock) that I use to stream both a library of music on SPOTIFY. But I just started using TIDAL and it works well, but is expensive at $19.99 per month. I run the Pure I-20 into a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC for the final conversion.

It's not real sophisticated the way I do it, but not very costly either. Just wonderin what other things I could consider.(I don't really fire up a computer to listen to music, but I've got all my CDs ripped to AIFF files and stored in an Itunes library).

I'd like to get a Sonos Connect for streaming, anyone out there us it? Do you like it?

Now how do you stream music?

DZetye

Re: How do you stream music?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2015, 10:47 pm »
I currently am using a Squeezebox Touch but am thinking of buying the Bluesound Node which I heard has better sound quality than the Sonos.  I also use an Ifi iDSD Micro DAC with the Touch but am patiently waiting for my Geek Pulse Infinity DAC to arrive.  The Touch sounds really good through the Ifi DAC which is why I am still using it.  Logitech stopped manufacturing them a year or two ago.  You can still buy used, though, on Ebay where there are several offered.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2015, 12:00 am »
I define "streaming" as an Ethernet connected system.  For that I use the Sonore Signature Rendu into a DIY Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC build, and I use the I2S connection from the S. Rendu to the DAC (with a Twisted Pear Audio Teleporter as the I2S receiver wired to an HDMI jack).  I run Minimserver as the source, and Audionet or Kazoo on an Ipad as the controller.  Superb sound quality with this set up, and no need for any special computer tweaks, or add on music playing software or anything.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2015, 03:38 am »
(I don't really fire up a computer to listen to music, but I've got all my CDs ripped to AIFF files and stored in an Itunes library).

Now how do you stream music?

If you're like most of us, you have tons of music. I put my JRiver on shuffle for my own "station." You'd be surprised that you won't remember a lot of the music in your collection.

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:22 am »
Generation II Salkstreamer:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124179.0
Love it.

Cornelis

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2015, 04:11 pm »
Interesting setups for sure here. I did not know Mr Salk offered a streaming device! I thought he just made great speakers. I had not thought I'd like "streaming audio" as much as I do, but I am surprised at the quality I can get at my fingertips, and the wide variety of music I can sample.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:57 pm »
I often wonder if the word "stream" needs updating.

I feel it more and more describes distributing music that originates outside the home - ala Tidal, Spotify, MOG etc.  I do none of this.

As for my own streaming, it is below:

Server - dedicated netbook running Windows/Logitech Media Server - wired ethernet through a GB switch to my router - 2TB FLAC drive hangs off this PC

Streamer 1 - hacked Pogoplug running VAMP image from Vortexbox - system 1 - wired ethernet
Streamer 2 - stock Logitech Touch - system 2 - wired ethernet
Streamer 3 - iTouch 3rd generation running iPeng with the in app "streaming" purchase - allows me to use wifi around the property to play FLAC on my iTouch - it is my headphone setup.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:19 pm »
I'm using a Logitech Transporter

Austin08

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:38 pm »
I also use SalkStreamer II too. A wonderful little machine.

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:10 pm »
Auralic Aries. Absolutely amazing sound and very stable now. It just works, no fuss, and does it all, local hard drive, NAS, Tidal, internet radio, you name it.

pmarun

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:42 pm »
I use a Logitech Media Server running on a Raspberry PI, wirelessly streaming music to an SB Touch, and then connected to my Stereo using a Benchmark DAC.

Rgds

pmarun

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:44 pm »
The ripped files are sitting on a WD Live 1TD Hard Drive, wired  directly to my Router using an Ethernet cable.

The raspberry pi just recently replaced my old dell laptop as the LMS server.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2015, 02:48 am »
mcgxsr, I agree, the Salk device (and others like it) would be more accurately referred to as a server, not a streaming appliance.

vonnie123

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2015, 06:04 pm »
I stream using the following:

JRiver Media Center
Sonos Connect (2)
Bryston BDP-1
JRiver Id

I can also utilize my Yamaha AVR for net music, and my Oppo BDP95 for DLNA and Pandora.

IMO, The Sonos Connect is the easiest with respect to flexibility and ease of use and setup.  they also have outstanding support available if you have an issue.  It's limited to CD quality playback, versus the Bryston and JRiver Id which will produce hi-res tracks. 

I subscribe to Deezer Elite (via Sonos) for CD quality streaming ($120 year) and Pandora One ($50 year).  Also have some of the free streaming services too.