Transformer Hum Questions

rgodin

Transformer Hum Questions
« on: 16 Sep 2013, 08:42 pm »
I'm using a standard cherry and after relocating my system I've noticed that the amp transformer is humming.   It's a mechanical hum and not coming form the speakers.  I know that various devices such as dimming lamps or DC on the AC line can cause transformer hum.  It may have been humming before the move, but I didn't sit nearly as close to the amp in the old location.

I'm looking for suggestions on ways to identify and eliminate the possible cause of the hum.  I haven't ruled out the possibility of it being an amp problem, but I want to exhaust any external causes first.

Thanks,
Rick

rgodin

Re: Transformer Hum Questions
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:45 am »
I was able to do some more checking and  move the amp to an unused/dedicated 20 amp circuit in my workshop.  From the best I could tell, it didn't alter the characteristics of the hum.  I did notice that the hum is definitely not coming form the transformer at all.  The transformer is dead quiet.

The hum seems to be coming from a point that is very close to the back of the amp where the power cord connects to the main board.  I'm not sure what is back there, but I think the source of the hum is in that general area.

Rick

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2013, 07:27 pm »
"relocating" as in moving to a different home?
or just rearranging the furniture?

mark funk

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:07 pm »
Hum can come from a lot of things. This worked very well for me,

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=270&Itemid=239

:smoke:

rgodin

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:33 pm »
I moved from one room to another and had to rearrange the layout of the equipment.  The amp used to be across the room, now it is about 5 feet away from me.

I use a PS Audio Humbuster, similar to the AVA box and that didn't change the hum at all either.  It's clearly not the transformer humming, although that is what I originally thought.  The hum/vibration seems to be coming from the center back of the amp near the power connector.  There appears to be some type of coil near the connection, but I can't tell if that is the source.

I need some type of nonmetallic stethoscope to try and pin point the exact area or component.