BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

Norco74

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1260 on: 26 Jun 2017, 01:55 pm »
Hi,

I am now considering adding Tidal as a streaming solution to the BDP-1. I have conducted some testing over the weekend and here's my results and queries.

I have tried Tidal Hifi using Shairplay, Shairport and the Tidal application, all available from the BDP-1 upgraded at 2.34. Playback went through a BDA-1.  :D

On the UI perspective, I used an iPhone and an iPad to control the Tidal app. The iPhone is less than ideal to perform this task as the UI is very limited. iPad is easier to use. Native Tidal app used over Shairplay and Shaiport provides more eye candies than the app available from the BDP-1 app menu but something I can live with.

Using the Shairplay and Shairport player from the BDP-1 gave some promising results but none of the songs played without some kind of breaks during playback. There's also some buffering happening between the songs. I suspected my network speed and quality but had to rule it out after trying the Tidal app directly from the BDP-1. The sound quality (SQ) is very good but a bit on the thin side, grainy and less convincing than the regular CD or MPD ripped file. This statement must be revisited as I don't have any reference of the masters dropped on Tidal.

When Tidal is used directly from the BSP-1 app menu,  the first song seems buffered, at least part of it,  prior to playback. SQ seems better than Shairplay or Shairport. One way of describing it will be more solid. Another statement that needs to be revisited. I never encountered any choppyness or breakout during a song playback. End of song #1 , the BDP-1 is then buffering the second song. A few seconds delay and than song# 2 is playing flawlessly. The gap issue is a real annoyance when listening to albums like Dark side of the moon and other...

I read on the web that app like Roon will overcome the issue. Roon is a pricey solution as I also have to add a PC, MAC or a NAS to the hifi kit. My original decision on acquiring the BDP-1 and BDA-1 was specifically based on the requirement of NOT having additional PC or MAC as part of the file playback solution. I am perfectly fine with leaving an HDD or SSD connected to the BDP- USB port. will go for a NAS if I have no choice.

I understand that the BDP-1 went through a lot of f/w iterations over the years and the product really evolved as a music server platform. Designed to playback music files at first, it was then capable of playing files from a NAS environment and now the web streaming environment.

My question today is, will it be possible for the BDP-1 to playback gapless songs from the Tidal app in the near future? If not, is it a limitation issue that can be overcome with a BDP2 or would required the use such as Roon and NAS?

Thanks!

Daniel

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1261 on: 26 Jun 2017, 03:49 pm »
Hi Daniel,

The BDP-1 uses a different TIDAL queuing system from the BDP-2,3 and Pi due to the limited amount of memory available and although the gapless playback was broken for a time in those units it has been fixed and are now gapless (there was some discussion on the manic moose thread from a few months ago).

We are also currently developing and about to release (as a testing build) TIDAL integration into the the Media Players Artist view which uses MPD, not sure how well the BDP-1 will fair though.

Cheers,
Chris

MoPac

« Reply #1262 on: 29 Jun 2017, 12:39 am »
Chris:
 I'm using a Bluesound Node in the headphone system and would like to use the BDP as a NAS.  The drives in the BDP show as share folders so it seems like it should work.  Would it be OK to copy the M3U playlists from the USER / playlists folder to one of the attached drives so the Node can index them?

Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1263 on: 29 Jun 2017, 03:17 pm »
Chris:
 I'm using a Bluesound Node in the headphone system and would like to use the BDP as a NAS.  The drives in the BDP show as share folders so it seems like it should work.  Would it be OK to copy the M3U playlists from the USER / playlists folder to one of the attached drives so the Node can index them?

Rich

I've never tried it, but i see no reason why it would be a problem

MoPac

« Reply #1264 on: 1 Jul 2017, 12:59 am »
Chris:

Copied the M3U playlists to the internal drive % Updated.  The Node did not index them.  Maybe because when I look at them in MM they are RED. :?:  The Node sees the album covers ( which are also red ) due to the fact that the embedded tag art is what Bluesound uses.

Rich

artur9

« Reply #1265 on: 1 Jul 2017, 02:16 am »
I think this last update has screwed me.

I use Linn Kazoo to control MPD on the BDP-1.  Before the last update, I could hit stop on the remote, do some stuff, then hit play and the last song being played would be restarted.

Since the update, when I hit stop the playlist gets cleared <grrr>.  Is there anything in that update that would explain this new, undesirable, behavior?

celo

« Reply #1266 on: 16 Sep 2017, 11:39 am »
Please correct me if I am wrong:

BDP-1 was not able to stream Tidal natively (actually no streaming services at all before) but now it can after the FW upgrade?

Although BDP-1 can stream Tidal, it has stability issues because of limited amount of memory?

I will ONLY use the BDP-1 for Tidal-HIFI streaming. Would this eliminate the limited memory issue since I will not use other sources?

Also, my DAC does not have USB and BNC. Is using RCA/BNC adapter would degrade the sound in anyway?

Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1267 on: 16 Sep 2017, 06:53 pm »
I think this last update has screwed me.

I use Linn Kazoo to control MPD on the BDP-1.  Before the last update, I could hit stop on the remote, do some stuff, then hit play and the last song being played would be restarted.

Since the update, when I hit stop the playlist gets cleared <grrr>.  Is there anything in that update that would explain this new, undesirable, behavior?

in the most recent update no, but the BDP is suppose to clear its playlist if the stop command is given while the player is stopped, but that's been around for years i think.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1268 on: 16 Sep 2017, 07:01 pm »
Please correct me if I am wrong:

BDP-1 was not able to stream Tidal natively (actually no streaming services at all before) but now it can after the FW upgrade?

Although BDP-1 can stream Tidal, it has stability issues because of limited amount of memory?

I will ONLY use the BDP-1 for Tidal-HIFI streaming. Would this eliminate the limited memory issue since I will not use other sources?

Also, my DAC does not have USB and BNC. Is using RCA/BNC adapter would degrade the sound in anyway?

Thanks.

In a very limited fashion, lossy works well and i was using my BDP-1 for about a month testings the latest beta's (S2.35) which includes integrating TIDAL into the media player interface.  The new method of streaming is very picky on the lossless setting, but i found it worked really will with the BDP-1.  There are couple of things that need to be met, my music library was only 2000 songs (very small), my internet connection isn't half bad for the country(40x15) and i'm the only one using it.

artur9

« Reply #1269 on: 16 Sep 2017, 10:50 pm »
in the most recent update no, but the BDP is suppose to clear its playlist if the stop command is given while the player is stopped, but that's been around for years i think.

Thanks for the reply!  So it must be that a "double stop" was being sent. 

The player has returned to stopping and not clearing the list.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1270 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:19 pm »
Just received Gary Dayton's e-mail about the new Moose update for BDP-x. Quoting:

"Now we have a universal tool to scan your network and generate links for every BDP on your network "

Does this mean Bryston can potentially "see" all other devices (desktops, laptops, etc) on my home network while I use my BDP-1/-2?

Privacy issues.... :duh: :scratch:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1271 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:42 pm »
Just received Gary Dayton's e-mail about the new Moose update for BDP-x. Quoting:

"Now we have a universal tool to scan your network and generate links for every BDP on your network "

Does this mean Bryston can potentially "see" all other devices (desktops, laptops, etc) on my home network while I use my BDP-1/-2?

Privacy issues.... :duh: :scratch:

No, we simply log when BDP's checks for firmware updates and use these logs to figure which units are yours when you use mybryston.com

Also if your that concerned about privacy you may want to consider cancelling your internet subscription and phones data plan.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1272 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:46 pm »
^ Thanks. I have a good firewall against viruses etc., so won't be cancelling anything.

Gerard

« Reply #1273 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:23 pm »
Just received Gary Dayton's e-mail about the new Moose update for BDP-x.
I too received this e-mail. After updating to 2.36, which seemed to be successful, after a next boot i received a error message 09. Also after trying to boot several times, after disconnecting a flashdrive i used as scratch drive, the error persisted. I see that my BDA-2 initially got a 48k LOCK so Linux seems to be starting. What to do? My system had 2.34 before the update and everything worked fine!
Hope to hear from you soon!
Regards, Gerard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1274 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:25 pm »
I too received this e-mail. After updating to 2.36, which seemed to be successful, after a next boot i received a error message 09. Also after trying to boot several times, after disconnecting a flashdrive i used as scratch drive, the error persisted. I see that my BDA-2 initially got a 48k LOCK so Linux seems to be starting. What to do? My system had 2.34 before the update and everything worked fine!
Hope to hear from you soon!
Regards, Gerard

Hi

Try disconnecting all drives then boot up.

james

Gerard

« Reply #1275 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:47 pm »
Hi

james

Thank you for quick reply. I have a 1TB SSD disk installed internally. Should i disconnect that too?

Marius

« Reply #1276 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:48 pm »
that's a new one, firewall against viruses ;)

Still, the new my.bryston.com relies on an open internet connection, and my VPN causes it to not work, since my IP is replaced and thus hidden? Opening up the VPN is something i'm hesitant to do, especially if it's allowing external parties to browse my LAN....

http://support.bryston.com/site/?firmware wil remain in my favorites list, for checking for updates. Or I let the BDP itself have a look. Unless one has the router use a vpn connection, the BDP is on an open line of course. Maybe Chris could add the option of using a VPN connection?

Cheers,
Marius

^ Thanks. I have a good firewall against viruses etc., so won't be cancelling anything.

Gerard

« Reply #1277 on: 28 Sep 2017, 04:38 pm »
Hi

james

After disconnecting USB-drive I also opened my BDP-2 and disconnected the internal SSD too. But again error code 09. My display shows this:
BDP2 000246               ERROR 09
R03.0 2012-11-27               166

What to do next?
Regards, Gerard

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1278 on: 28 Sep 2017, 05:10 pm »
Gerard: I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I haven't (don't plan to) "upgraded" to the latest version. On my BDP-1, I resisted upping Loony Loon for 5 yrs. As long as it worked, .....I hope you get this resolved. As I'm not into cover art and the trimmings, I'm very happy with the SQ of playback as is.

Marius: I know, firewall against viruses is a misnomer.  :lol:

Gerard

« Reply #1279 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:09 pm »
Thanks Pete for your compassion. I normally use MPad/Mpod but now it is discontinued at the next iOS release i thought i give MM2.36 a try. Also to get rid of the error message that BDP-2 has no internet connection caused by upgrading to MM2.34.... If i knew this would happen i never would have started with the last 2 update cycles. :duh: