RC3R PRE-review

markmaloof

RC3R PRE-review
« on: 8 Mar 2004, 06:32 pm »
Well, I have to offer apologies to Rick.  I had the RC3R a month or so ago for review purposes.  I had promised to get a review off, did a short one for Madisound, but did not get around to here or the Asylum.  I work freelance, and while winter is often slow, things picked up a bit.  Then, to compound things, my wife and I had an extended trip to Tokyo (to visit a friend, lovely city!) and Thailand (where we are now, diving on the island of Koh Tao.)  Internet time is limited to me until I return to the USA this thursday, but I feel bad that, other than Madisound, I have not gotten off a nice review of the speaker.  So here is a short one, to be followed when I get back (promise!) by a longer one.

This is a very, very good speaker.  Those who may have wondered (as I) about three different manufacturer's drivers being joined into coherencey will be pleasantly surprised....this speaker is pretty darn seamless.

As mentioned before, this is a music lover's speaker.  Yes, it has detail, but not in an obnoxious "in your face" audiophile way.  It is pleasant to listen to for hours on end.  I would say neutral would sum it up.

Bass...a surprise for a speaker its size.  I ended up not needing to use my sub.  I would say it goes down into the 30s.  

They image very well, not quite the pinpoint accuracy of, say, a small monitor, but still quite well.  Simular to my Quad 63s, they created an enjoyable "field of music" in front of me.  Very easy to forget you are listening to speakers.

That's all for now.  I promise a more thorough discription in the next few days.  Anyone considering a kit or a complete speaker who finds this falls into their budget should be quite happy.

mcgsxr

RC3R PRE-review
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2004, 02:46 am »
Ahhh, Koh Tao.  The best of the 3 islands out that way - spent a quiet 2 months there in '96.

Mark