Aura Junior

pslate

Re: Aura Junior
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jun 2010, 02:41 pm »
Update on the Jr.'s and my path to decent fidelity without expending a lot of cash. Added a T-Amp based on the TA2022 chip (60W 8 ohm, 90W 4 ohm) http://www.hllyaudio.com/. The power is a bit overstated but that's the word on all T-amps. I've put about 10 hrs on the new amp, and the results have been an improvement over my Harmon Kardon receiver. Much more separation of instruments and less muddiness in the mids. Less overall visceral impact in the low bass though. For about $200 it was a nice new audio toy, and at that price it did not have me stressed or too eager for superlative results. Anyhow I'm definitely not switching back to the receiver for amplification. 

pslate

« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:25 pm »
So I'm auditioning a pair of N1X's, a very interesting comparison. I put myself on the audition list out of curiosity and it's been a lot of fun. I do not have the most seasoned ears, but I have enough sense to tell these speakers have distinctly different personalities. The N1X's throw an absurdly large soundstage, have good ported bass response, and are very smooth. Altogether very forgiving. The Jr.'s can image till the cows come home, and are very detailed. The Jr.'s really shined last night using Pure Music and a V-DAC. The Jr.'s of course integrate very nicely with a sub, which makes up for less bass here (smaller speaker too). Two nicely done done designs. Anyhow looking forward to this summer when I'll have a real budget for speakers. I'm feeling RAAL & Illuminator monitor, vs. an SB or Dayton nd and Fountek array. The Jr.'s will be some sweet surrounds. One nice thing I discovered is that I prefer a phantom center, more money now for mains  8)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2010, 05:20 pm »
So I'm auditioning a pair of N1X's, a very interesting comparison. I put myself on the audition list out of curiosity and it's been a lot of fun. I do not have the most seasoned ears, but I have enough sense to tell these speakers have distinctly different personalities. The N1X's throw an absurdly large soundstage, have good ported bass response, and are very smooth. Altogether very forgiving. The Jr.'s can image till the cows come home, and are very detailed. The Jr.'s really shined last night using Pure Music and a V-DAC. The Jr.'s of course integrate very nicely with a sub, which makes up for less bass here (smaller speaker too). Two nicely done done designs. Anyhow looking forward to this summer when I'll have a real budget for speakers. I'm feeling RAAL & Illuminator monitor, vs. an SB or Dayton nd and Fountek array. The Jr.'s will be some sweet surrounds. One nice thing I discovered is that I prefer a phantom center, more money now for mains  8)

Thanks for your feedback. How about a Seas / RAAL array that I just shipped to San Diego?  :thumb:

pslate

« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2010, 05:55 pm »
Rick, those must be incredible :o If only my budget was bigger!!! Anyhow, for now I love myself some Jr.'s.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:06 pm »
Thanks for your feedback. How about a Seas / RAAL array that I just shipped to San Diego?  :thumb:

That sounds interesting, any pics or info???

pslate

« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:01 pm »
Sure, I'll get a few images. It's been fun I have a junky pair of Wharfedales, and some nice Ascend CBM-170se's all in the mix  :thumb: Needless to say the Selah's & GR's rule the roost. My taste is leaning a bit to Selah, but both these designs seem to tell me that excellent sound is just that, regardless of cone materials and enclosure type. Comparing the two is like comparing Hemingway and Fitzgerald, both excellent, both different. Can you guess which author the Jr.'s favor in the analogy?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:15 pm »
I'd love pics and info on the Seas/Raal model... I'm looking to create a nice two-way monitor.

srb

« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:34 pm »
I'd love pics and info on the Seas/Raal model... I'm looking to create a nice two-way monitor.

I'd be interested to see the info on the Seas/RAAL model also, but Ed, you do know that the RAAL tweeters are ~ $300 each?

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:53 pm »
...I can dream. Seas drivers ain't cheap either, I'm looking at down the road after my HiVi experiment, was thinking of replacing Mids and Tweets in the JBL 4311Bs with Accuton and Raal after I learn about crossovers so in a few years.... :thumb: or buy Selah.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 01:23 am by eclein »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #29 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:38 am »
That sounds interesting, any pics or info???
No pics yet - we provided cabinets and a kit for the fortunate audiophile. Nine Seas Excel woofers and eight RAAL ribbons per side. Sealed box alignment augmented with our Abisso subwoofers. I also designed a matching center channel - two 7" Seas Excel, Seas Excel 4.5" mid, and RAAL ribbon.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:43 am »

I'd be interested to see the info on the Seas/RAAL model also, but Ed, you do know that the RAAL tweeters are ~ $300 each?

Steve
Actually it was a line array - my post to Paul was tongue-in-cheek. I certainly could design a monitor though if someone requested that.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #31 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:13 pm »
Thanks Paul for sharing your impressions of the NX1 vs Aura Jr. I have not heard the NX1's but I would have been surprised if you found the NX1's more detailed or clearer than the Aura Jr;s. I have not heard anything near the price of the Aura Jr that has such a detailed/clean sound. The detail is actually kind of addictive from these little speakers.

Another configuration of these drivers that might be an excellent system would be an MTM, or add a woofer to the Aura Jr to make a three way. I've got lots of ideas, for someone else to build or buy.  :P

If you decide to move up to the Illuminator/Raal or Revelator/Raal (The Granduer that I have also) you will move up to a fuller, more fleshed out and efforless sound, but it won't necessarily be a clearer or more detailed sound. You definitely get what you pay for with the larger, more expensive drivers.

Chuck

pslate

« Reply #32 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:50 pm »
Had these out of rotation for a while, but recently put them back in service. The imaging is the best I have ever heard. Truly incredible. They are not perfect, but the sound is still addicting. My favorite Selah product hands down. I was thinking an MTM design would be incredible, but would the imaging suffer as a result? Anyhow it makes me think that the dayton ND 140 is an underutilized driver!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2015, 04:28 pm »
Had these out of rotation for a while, but recently put them back in service. The imaging is the best I have ever heard. Truly incredible. They are not perfect, but the sound is still addicting. My favorite Selah product hands down. I was thinking an MTM design would be incredible, but would the imaging suffer as a result? Anyhow it makes me think that the dayton ND 140 is an underutilized driver!

Good to hear that you're still enjoying them. A MTM will be a different presentation so it depends on what you like.