Unifield 2 mk2 and Amp Vitus SIA-025

bb64

Unifield 2 mk2 and Amp Vitus SIA-025
« on: 22 Dec 2017, 12:28 pm »
Hi

I have a pair of unifield 2 mk2 that I use for several years. I drive them with a Karan amp KA 270 which develops 270 W into 8 Ohms.  I want to change of amp and I am thinking about an integrated amp, the Vitus SIA-025.  It has great reviews.  The vitus amp has two working modes: class A/B (150 W 8 ohms) and class A (25 W 8 ohms).  I wonder if the vitus has enough power in class A to drive my unifield.  I am using them in a large room of 7.5 x 11 meters squared.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2017, 05:07 pm by bb64 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Unifield 2 mk2 and Amp
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2017, 01:52 pm »
According to the Von Schweikert Audio website, the Unified 2 mk 2 speakers are rated at 88 dB/w/m at 4 ohms, recommended power 50 - 200 watts.  The Vitus amp appears to be a well built solid state design and is rated to 4 ohm loads.

According to the raw numbers I'd guess (depending on how close you listen and how dampened the room is), 50 watts at 4 ohms would produce about 98 dB (class A mode).  Again according to the numbers in class A/B mode the speakers would be the limiting factor (same as you have now which is around 104 dB).  Therefore you'd be losing about 1/3rd of the ultimate output.

Most audiophiles do critical listening at average of 85 dB, but music is made up of peaks which require lots of power.  Most say that live music can peak between 105 and 110 dB (which for your speakers/room would require 270 to 700 watts, thus not the best speakers for your room).  So the big question is how loud to you normally listen?  If you have a sound pressure meter (or app on a smart phone) you can get a tell if that is loud enough for you.

The big concern when running close to the amp's limit is how does the amp behaves at that limit.  Solid state amps tend to 'clip' which means hitting a hard limit which can be very hard on drivers (probably the leading cause of speaker failure).  In class A you would be limiting the dynamics of the music given your room size without risking speaker damage. 

Note that class A design is very inefficient, so the amp would generate lots of heat.

bb64

Re: Unifield 2 mk2 and Amp
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2017, 05:02 pm »

The big concern when running close to the amp's limit is how does the amp behaves at that limit.  Solid state amps tend to 'clip' which means hitting a hard limit which can be very hard on drivers (probably the leading cause of speaker failure).  In class A you would be limiting the dynamics of the music given your room size without risking speaker damage. 
That is my concern.  I am afraid to damage my uni.  My  listening level is about 85 dB. I am surprised sometimes with some very dynamical LP records (as the Supertramp, Dream of the century) by the level peak reached.   Fortunately, this LP is not my favorite, but it has some memories.

My difficulty is my room with  large volume:

I compute it is about 10 000 cubic feet the room is linked to the stairway and other rooms that adds something as 5000 cubic feet.  I am very happy of the acoustic of my room, the sound is everywhere clean except at the corners behind the speakers. 

Note that class A design is very inefficient, so the amp would generate lots of heat.

That depends, Karan amp are class A and do not generate a lot of heat. The vitus does in class A mode but it  also run in  class AB mode (default mode).   It is perfect for my use: class A/B for easing listening (mainly radio) and class A when I turn my turntable on.