Used equipment values (rough estimate OK)

DrFilGd

Used equipment values (rough estimate OK)
« on: 20 Sep 2017, 05:03 am »
I have to sell  1) McIntosh MA 6900 integrated amplifier
                     2) pair of Von Schweikert Audio VR33 speakers 
 for a friend who took immaculate care of these beautiful pieces of equipment.  I am not an audiophile, so am clueless what reasonable prices would be to ask.  Hoping someone could give me ballpark figures, so I can list these. Thanks for looking

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Used equipment values (rough estimate OK)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2017, 12:16 pm »
Check out Audiogon.com.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2017, 12:26 pm »
I have to sell  1) McIntosh MA 6900 integrated amplifier
                     2) pair of Von Schweikert Audio VR33 speakers 
 for a friend who took immaculate care of these beautiful pieces of equipment.  I am not an audiophile, so am clueless what reasonable prices would be to ask.  Hoping someone could give me ballpark figures, so I can list these. Thanks for looking
Searching McIntosh MA 6900 for sale there is various sale offers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-MA6900-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-/111293363503?_ul=BR

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.XMcIntosh+MA+6900.TRS0&_nkw=McIntosh+MA+6900&_sacat=0

No Agon results currently.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2017, 01:37 pm »
Look on hifishark.com  you can see current units like yours for sale as well as past sales to get a feel for price.

Some audio stores may have a Blue Book they can give you a quote.

Mac typically holds it's value well.  Good luck

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2017, 02:04 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC DrFilGd   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2017, 03:04 pm »
Prices vary due age and conservation state.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2017, 05:44 pm »
A general 'rue of thumb' for used audio equipment which is 'just like new' is 50% of list price.

For 'some' equipment which are 'classic' (if you also have the box) is 60% of new list.

Very very few items can be sold for more than 60%. Some examples I know of would be Audio Research Sp-10
Infinity Reference Series V speakers, Vendetta phono boxes, Garrard pro idler drive turntables, Marantz Model 7

A small and highly prized list.

For the average bit of gear, particularly if old and no box, with a few small flaws.. 40% or 30% of list.

Then plenty of audio crap which is worth next to nothing.

Mac gear would fall in the 60% range if perfect and you have the box.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2017, 06:00 pm »
Good post Elizabeth, I wold add to the box the owner manual;

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2017, 06:04 pm »
That's too broad of a generalization; after owning my Coincident SET for just over a year, I sold it locally and recovered 75% of what I had into it, which was the full retail price.

The point is there are always exceptions to the rule. One should always research current market conditions and take everything (the big picture) into account.

FireGuy

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2017, 06:18 pm »
A general 'rue of thumb' for used audio equipment which is 'just like new' is 50% of list price.

For 'some' equipment which are 'classic' (if you also have the box) is 60% of new list.

Very very few items can be sold for more than 60%. Some examples I know of would be Audio Research Sp-10
Infinity Reference Series V speakers, Vendetta phono boxes, Garrard pro idler drive turntables, Marantz Model 7

For the average bit of gear, particularly if old and no box, with a few small flaws.. 40% or 30% of list.

FYI -  Just now... I did a quick asking price Vs. new price on the Trading Post.  Here's what I got:  60%, 60%, 63% and 33%.    Just sayin.

roscoe65

« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2017, 06:21 pm »

As proud cheap bastard who buys most of his equipment secondhand or on sale I can agree with most of this.  I will offer some other thoughts:

1.  If the product is current or can be updated to current AND the current product is in high demand, your price will likely be higher.  This is doubly so if there is a long waiting list for the new product and/or the price has risen significantly from the original purchase price.

2.  Resale tends to be higher if the product was a "giant killer" or is relatively inexpensive.  There tends to be a price floor that supports resale pricing for high value products.

3.  Resale will tend to be higher if the product has a near-universal appeal.  Esoteric, large, heavy and really expensive items tend to fetch a lower resale than those that more easily fit into a second owner's system (or mailbox).

4.  I've found that surveying the current market is appropriate for most sales.  I like to check what is currently being sold on Hifishark, Ebay actual sales, and a smattering of other sites including Audioasylumtrader, Audiocircle, etc.  This will give you an idea of the closing prices and also what you are competing against.

5.  If a product is not in high demand, you may need to be patient to find the right buyer.  If you need to sell quickly, you'll need to be lucky or willing to accept a lower price.

6.  Don't overlook local sales (e.g., Craigslist).  I am in the NYC metro area and there is not a lot of competition for high end audio equipment on CL.  This is especially good for items that are impractical to ship or for buyers who wish to audition first.  Beware of the "We buy tube equipment" guys, though.  They will generally only give you about half the expected resale value.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2017, 06:26 pm »
To me tube amps retain more value than transistors amps.

wiggindude

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2017, 11:18 pm »
Nice gears.  One day I'll buy a Mac Amp.  I'm a sucker for ones with big VU meters.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2017, 11:35 am »
Nice gears.  One day I'll buy a Mac Amp.  I'm a sucker for ones with big VU meters.
Instead buy a Mac amp or similar face print this image and hang on the wall, it will be a nice looking too.
They also have a web radio.
http://customchannels.net/streaming/mcintosh/music/index.html