Review DVA 850

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Review DVA 850
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm »
I had the pleasure of hearing these amps at Frank's and they are nothing short of spectacular.  I think the review is spot on with the exception of vocals being forward.   Certainly the preamp, music source and speakers play a role in that.  I wish I had the room and cash for these mono blocks.  I would trade my Pass X250 in a heart beat.

Congrats Frank!

Larry

Hiphile

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2017, 04:10 am »
Hi Larry, after hearing the monoblocks and the balanced amps of the DVA line. Do you think they share a comon sonic signature?
Thanks!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2017, 12:49 am »
Hi Larry, after hearing the monoblocks and the balanced amps of the DVA line. Do you think they share a comon sonic signature?
Thanks!

They somewhat share a common sonic signature in that they lean a bit on the warmer side but not overly so.  The Mono blocks however are in a league of their own.  Increased air and transparency, more detail and dynamics.  Sound stage is larger IMHO. They are very smooth sounding. I would love to try them in my system some day with my BAT preamp and Maggies.

Hiphile

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2017, 08:21 am »
Thanks Larry for the feedback. I'm planning an amplifier upgrade for this coming year and after some research, most likely will be one of Frank's. i haven't decided yet between a FET Valve 600R or the new DVA 4/2 ( like the biamp option). I'm looking for tight bass with control, quickness and authority (using Maggies). Midrange not seems to be a concern with AVA amps, but will like to have a full bodied sound without loosing dynamics, retrieval detail, and natural extension in the treble. My hearing I susceptible to poorly reproduced cymbals, high hat, and other metallic percussion instruments. Hard to find these sound qualities in the same unit! 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2017, 02:40 pm »
Thanks Larry for the feedback. I'm planning an amplifier upgrade for this coming year and after some research, most likely will be one of Frank's. i haven't decided yet between a FET Valve 600R or the new DVA 4/2 ( like the biamp option). I'm looking for tight bass with control, quickness and authority (using Maggies). Midrange not seems to be a concern with AVA amps, but will like to have a full bodied sound without loosing dynamics, retrieval detail, and natural extension in the treble. My hearing I susceptible to poorly reproduced cymbals, high hat, and other metallic percussion instruments. Hard to find these sound qualities in the same unit!

You can't go wrong with any of those amps.  I have 2 friends that run a 400R and 600R amp with Maggie 1.7's and 3.7's respectively and their systems sound great.  Both are using AVA's top of the line Fet Valve CF preamp.  They are using a T+A DAC 8 DSD and a PS Audio DSD DAC for music sources.  The R series amps are detailed with deep, punchy tight bass  with excellent air and transparency.  The DVA amps sound different with a warmer mid range and tone.  I prefer the bass of the R series amps when compared to the DVA 700 but I like the tone of the 700 better.  But the DVA 850 is the bomb!  Awesome amp.  However, their is no bad choice, it is just a matter of preference.  Frank has a great line up of amps for people with different tastes and budgets.  It's all good.

Which Maggies do you have?

Hiphile

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2017, 09:06 pm »
Hi Larry,  a pair of .7  I was about to give up on them. Thanks to the recommendations of people in the forum I managed to get them sounding really nice. That said I haven't discarded the possibility of replacing them with Eminent Technology they can be bi-amp, one of the reason why the DVA 4/2 is an attractive alternative

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2017, 02:53 am »
Hi Larry,  a pair of .7  I was about to give up on them. Thanks to the recommendations of people in the forum I managed to get them sounding really nice. That said I haven't discarded the possibility of replacing them with Eminent Technology they can be bi-amp, one of the reason why the DVA 4/2 is an attractive alternative

Are you using a sub with them?  I use dual Martin Logan subs and they integrate seamlessly.  They are non ported and are crossed over at 40hz. They deliver fast, controlled and musical bass when needed.  They can keep up with the Maggies. Adding the second sub made a very nice difference in filling out the sound stage.  Whats the point in biamping if you have a high power amp that is high current and has great headroom?  I have never biamped though.  Your Maggies will really sing with an R series or DVA series amp.  You won't be stressing these amps in the least.

Hiphile

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:43 am »
Yep, as per you recommendation to use a subwoofer, I bought a JL sub big difference indeed. I'm having a love /hate relationship with 'em what they do well they do better than anything I had herd before. I mainly listen to rock from 70-80's lots European progressive rock,jazz mainly ECM and Pablo, classical. The issue is with drum kits in some rock music it feels like if the drums were buried within the recording. Some lack of dynamics with certain freq. upper base-lower mids. I'll be moving so I won't decide to let them go until I have a listen in a different acoustic environment and mess around with them a bit. I'm currently using a decent sounding Acoustat TNT 200 upgraded by Roy Esposito with a Vaccum Audio Lab pre-amp and a british phono

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:54 am »
I use to use a Parasound A21 amp and an AVA Ultra plus hybrid tube preamp.  Bass was good but when I upgraded to my Pass amp bass improved tremendously.  Adding my BAT VK-51se took it to another level.  That preamp is known to deliver the great bass.  It uses more power than some amps.  Drums kicks sound very realistic and dynamic.  The AVA amps will do the same.

You may want to consider adding a second sub or at least borrow one to see how it sounds. 

Nice gear you have there.