SQ of iONE w/spdif input?

jrebman

SQ of iONE w/spdif input?
« on: 23 Aug 2017, 03:43 pm »
So, if there's anybody out there who is using an iONE directly from coax spdif to analog outs, can you tellme what kind of sonics you are getting? How do you manage battery charging?

Considering this little gem for my living room system -- very basic, but decent sounding -- source -> chip amp -> Older bamboo Orcas (no subs). I plan to feed the chip amp from a hifi berry spdif "hat" or a justboom DAC hat, but if I go with the spdif, then I'll need something to convert the spdif signal to analog. I plan to use the digital input. on the iONE for my iPad/Pod.

Also, if there is a substantial difference between the coax input and the digital input, it would be good to know.

Forgive the nature of this post, but I'm just going over various scenarios -- all of which, but some are more inconvenient than others.

Thanks,

Jim

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: SQ of iONE w/spdif input?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2017, 10:34 am »
Hi jrebman,

Well, our iONE can act as a S/PDIF converter, that's true. Yet the core of its operation is its wireless functionality. It was designed in the first place to act as a bluetooth/DAC combo. Still, it seems that it'll cover all your bases.

Our iONE is charged via its USB input. There's a charger in a package. Just use a regular USB cable with it and you're good to go.

We won't comment on the sound quality itself, but we'll say this, though: our return policy is generous. Please ask your local iFi reseller about it.

jrebman

Re: SQ of iONE w/spdif input?
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2017, 10:32 pm »
Thanks for the response and apologies for the late reply -- Had some pretty extensive oral surgery this morning.

Anyway, I don't really have a need for wireless connectivity as my whole system is setup that way and to work from an ethernet network anyway. Aside from that, I already maintain an AIFF and ALAC database and really don't need another one in yet another format.

Yes, it sounds like a great device, just not what I'm looking for in my system. If I need top-notch analog input to my living room amp, then I'll just use my iDSDBL directly into the analog inputs (the only ones this amp has) and enjoy that.

Thanks for the response anyway,

Jim