Incredarray Three Weeks Impression

tkp

« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2004, 12:56 am »
Quote from: Mad DOg
Rick,

if your new line array is as good as you say they are and you decides to send them out west first, they might not make it back out to the east!  :wink:  :lol:

Mad Dog,

I don't think Rick said any thing about how great his new line array is.  Most of the comments came from satisfied customers.  I do agree with you that the demo pair might not make it back out to the East.

I think the way I set speakers up in the family room is probably one of the worst if not the worst possible environment.  We are talking tile and wood floor with untreated walls (althought I do have a 5 x8 area rug), wide open space, the back of one speaker face nothing and the back of the other speaker is 6" from the front wall.  The only speakers sounded decent in this environment is sealed box and/or front firing port.  The RM40 sounded real good in this room because of its adjustability.  The Incredarray sounded even better in most area and I am glad they worked out as I has hoped because if they did not, I will have to live with them for the next 10 years.  My wife just about have had enough with my spending on audio.

ekovalsky

« Reply #21 on: 2 Dec 2004, 01:22 am »
Any Incredarray or Omegarray owners in Arizona or Southern California who would be willing to audition?  

I expect to keep the VMPS RM/X for the long haul, but you never know...

Enrico

« Reply #22 on: 2 Dec 2004, 02:39 am »
tkp, interesting comments--I hear a similar 'razor focus midrange' and slight lack of body on my VMPS 626s. I did audition the Incredarrays and they certainly had an impressive midrange--full and dynamic (midrange dynamics are quite another creature from bass dynamics), and yet very revealing.

My feeling was that the ribbon tweeter in the latest VMPS is really good, but it's a matter of taste--I think most people will prefer the Fountek array's sound.

If there's a NYC demo, I'll try to come, especially if a new design is coming (even though I just bought some speakers, I'm pretty restless and may just try another pair soon).

tkp

« Reply #23 on: 2 Dec 2004, 03:31 am »
Quote from: Enrico
tkp, interesting comments--I hear a similar 'razor focus midrange' and slight lack of body on my VMPS 626s. I did audition the Incredarrays and they certainly had an impressive midrange--full and dynamic (midrange dynamics are quite another creature from bass dynamics), and yet very revealing.

My feeling was that the ribbon tweeter in the latest VMPS is really good, but it's a matter of taste--I think most people will prefer the Fountek array's sound.

If there's a NYC demo, I'll try to come, especial ...

Enrico,

I greatly prefer the sound of the Fountek tweeter over the RM40s original tweeter.  As for the RMX tweeter sound, the last time I listenned to it was over a month ago.  I do recalled that the sound was clear and sweet and not sure if it is as good as the Incredarray.  Therefore, I would call it a tie until I listen to the RMX again.

For some people, the razor focus midrange of VMPS speakers worth sacrificing other area a bit for and there is no way around it.  For the longest time, I felt the same way.  The Incredarray proved this to be not the case.  

The RMX is a great speaker and clearly superior than the RM40 in every way.  However, it still lacks a few things that was critical for me hence I went the Incredarray route.  For the money, I really don't see I can do better than the Incredarray kit (for a true full range speaker).  I calculated the parts cost if I was going to get them myself and it came out to be pretty close to the kit price.

For me the Incredarray is a better choice than the RMX.  Every one taste is different so to others the RMX might be the better choice.

Daniel

« Reply #24 on: 2 Dec 2004, 04:03 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
If you were looking for a Manhattan location....how about Daniel's room ? That's a nice size.......:)

I'd be happy to do it!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 2 Dec 2004, 05:08 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky
Any Incredarray or Omegarray owners in Arizona or Southern California who would be willing to audition?  

Nobody yet in that area but that may change in the next few  months  8)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 2 Dec 2004, 04:49 pm »
Quote from: tkp
Mad Dog,

I don't think Rick said any thing about how great his new line array is.  Most of the comments came from satisfied customers.  I do agree with you that the demo pair might not make it back out to the East.

I think the way I set speakers up in the family room is probably one of the worst if not the worst possible environment.  We are talking tile and wood floor with untreated walls (althought I do have a 5 x8 area rug), wide open space, the back of one speaker face nothing and the back of the  ...

i am especially impressed, as you have the tweets on the outside, & i'd think best results would be w/'em on the inside.  i guess that would be kinda difficult, tho, due to the location of the 12" woofers!   :wink:

doug s.

tkp

« Reply #27 on: 2 Dec 2004, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
i am especially impressed, as you have the tweets on the outside, & i'd think best results would be w/'em on the inside.  i guess that would be kinda difficult, tho, due to the location of the 12" woofers!   :wink:

doug s.

Doug,

This was one of my biggest concern when I picked the Incredarray with side firing subwoofers and talked with Rick extensively about it.  This is the bennefit of being able to work with the designer directly to tailor to your need.  I was not able to check the sound out with the tweeter array on the inside but Bingenito was able to and he ended up with the tweeter array on the outside for wider sound stage.  Rick understood the trade off between the tweeter array on the inside and on the outside and adjusted the crossover for the best combination.

In a large room, having the tweeter on the inside will produce smoother sound with certain crossover choice.  However, I don't know how many of us have a huge room.  The benefit of having the tweeter on the outside is wider sound stage and this works well in a narrower room where the two speakers are much closer to each other.  The trick is to designer the crossover to create the proper balance between midbass, midrange, and high.  Rick achieved this requirement from me.

If you like having the woofer array on the inside, I am fairly sure Rick can taylor the crossover to meet your need.  I cannot think of many audio designer willing to do this for customers and without additional charge.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #28 on: 2 Dec 2004, 05:03 pm »
Doug,

This was one of my biggest concern when I picked the Incredarray with side firing subwoofers and talked with Rick extensively about it.  This is the bennefit of being able to work with the designer directly to tailor to your need.  I was not able to check the sound out with the tweeter array on the inside but Bingenito was able to and he ended up with the tweeter array on the outside for wider sound stage.  Rick understood the trade off between the tweeter array on the inside and on the outside and ...

yes, most impressive indeed.  in your case, having the tweets on the inside may not actually make things better, as they would be pretty-much on the same plane as your big tv set.  otherwise, as you say, i am sure rick could have worked things out for you, by placing the 12" drivers on the other side of the cabinet.

congrats,

doug s.

ekovalsky

« Reply #29 on: 2 Dec 2004, 05:12 pm »
Quote from: Rick Craig

Nobody yet in that area but that may change in the next few  months  8)

Thanks.  If any make it out to Phoenix, Tucson, Los Angeles, San Diego, or Las Vegas let me know !

Rick, have you or could you build a 2pc per side array/subwoofer system designed for active biamping?  Something like the Incredarray in a more shallow (maybe curved) cabinet housing only the midrange and tweeters, to be placed well out into the room, then a separate cabinet of approximately Incredarray size housing only the woofers to be placed in the front corners? No internal crossovers or L-pads would be needed.  Each section would be wired to have a reasonable impedance (approx 4 ohms) and connected directly to binding posts.  TacT digital amps/crossovers would supply power in the appropriate bandwidth to each section.

tkp

« Reply #30 on: 2 Dec 2004, 06:02 pm »
a 2pc per side array/subwoofer system designed for active biamping?  Something like the Incredarray in a more shallow (maybe curved) cabinet housing only the midrange and tweeters, to be placed well out into the room, then a separate cabinet of approximately Incredarray size housing only the woofers to be placed in the front corners? No internal crossovers or L-pads would b ...

I would have gone this route if I have room and my significant other agree to this.  However, I would go for taller array than 66".  I have pretty good sound standing up but I do recognize a bit of a drop in sound quality standing up near field.  I think 80" tall array would create a wall of even sound quality regardless where I am in the room.

Brad V

« Reply #31 on: 2 Dec 2004, 10:10 pm »
Doug,

This was one of my biggest concern when I picked the Incredarray with side firing subwoofers and talked with Rick extensively about it.  This is the bennefit of being able to work with the designer directly to tailor to your need.  I was not able to check the sound out with the tweeter array on the inside but Bingenito was able to and he ended up with the tweeter array on the outside for wider sound stage.  Rick understood the trade off between the tweeter array on the inside and on the outside and ...

Doug said it right. I've lived with the Excelarray's for a long time now. Initially. For the first 2 weeks, I had the ribbons ont he inside. For almost 2 years, I've had the ribbons on the outside. I moved the ribbons back to the inside several months back. I'm going to be living with them on the the inside for a long time. If you have a wide enough room, you've got to hear the difference. My width is 22 feet and putting the ribbons on the inside, did take away from the soundstage width a little, however the width was so wdie to begin with, it didn't make much of a difference there. Where it really helped, was center fill. Also, music sounds more accurate with the ribbons on the inside. Now the sound it right on. Everyone who heard my system before and after, prefers the ribbons on the inside. I have to agree, that if you have a narrow room, like 16 feet wide or less, that the ribbons probably sound best on the outside.

Enjoy,

Brad

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #32 on: 3 Dec 2004, 12:21 am »
Thanks.  If any make it out to Phoenix, Tucson, Los Angeles, San Diego, or Las Vegas let me know !

Rick, have you or could you build a 2pc per side array/subwoofer system designed for active biamping?  Something like the Incredarray in a more shallow (maybe curved) cabinet housing only the midrange and tweeters, to be placed well out into the room, then a separate cabinet of approximately Incredarray size housing only the woofers to be placed in the front corners? No internal crossovers or L-pads would b ...

I've not designed one like that but it easily could be done. I do quite a few custom designs which is how the XT8 became about. Their soon will be a pair of XT8's in both Alabama and Minnesota, plus I have a line array owner in Arizona looking to upgrade.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #33 on: 3 Dec 2004, 05:29 pm »
Quote from: Brad V
Doug said it right. I've lived with the Excelarray's for a long time now. Initially. For the first 2 weeks, I had the ribbons ont he inside. For almost 2 years, I've had the ribbons on the outside. I moved the ribbons back to the inside several months back. I'm going to be living with them on the the inside for a long time. If you have a wide enough room, you've got to hear the difference. My width is 22 feet and putting the ribbons on the inside, did take away from the soundstage width a little, however th ...

Good to hear from you Brad. I hope all is well with you and your family. Thanks for being the one who encouraged me to start designing high-end arrays.  :D

Brad V

« Reply #34 on: 3 Dec 2004, 08:48 pm »
Quote from: Rick Craig
Good to hear from you Brad. I hope all is well with you and your family. Thanks for being the one who encouraged me to start designing high-end arrays.  :D

Happy Holidays to you Rick,

Yes, it seems like it was just yesterday that we were just talking about the design. Can you believe it was over 2 years ago?

I wish I had more time to listen, however I'm just starting up my new business and hope to be in my new building by February.

Take care,

Brad