Siegfried Linkwitz on OB

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Siegfried Linkwitz on OB
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2017, 07:29 pm »
It's the subs that come with the Super V.
They are sold out, too bad.
http://gr-research.com/super-v.aspx

OBS.: Wonder if this is the same project from Dr.Linkwitz?

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2017, 12:35 pm »
Yes, buried somewhere in the middle. Don't necessarily 100% agree, but its his opinion. :wink:

I suppose it's "open to interpretation" - depending on what one might think words like "design" and "typical" mean. An earlier bullet on the same page says "All accurate speakers will essentially sound the same when listened to in a setup that is appropriate to their specific design."

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2017, 11:30 pm »
They are sold out, too bad.
http://gr-research.com/super-v.aspx

OBS.: Wonder if this is the same project from Dr.Linkwitz?

While the Super-V is no longer available, the 12" OB servo sub drivers and Rythmik amps are. The drivers are available in both 8 and 16 ohm versions for use in stand alone cabinets with either two or three drivers. For best results you want one sub cabinet for each channel.   These drivers play from 20Hz to 300Hz. I cross mine over at either 100Hz or 200Hz depending on which mid/tweeter section I am using.

OB bass can sound very good. I consistently get high compliments on the quality of the bass from people who have been to my room at the Lone Star Audio Fest.

Mike

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 28 Mar 2017, 12:22 am »
Thanks for inform Mike, I will check.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #24 on: 28 Mar 2017, 12:33 am »
"All accurate speakers will essentially sound the same when listened to in a setup that is appropriate to their specific design."

That's possible I suppose. Now how does one hear all "accurate" loudspeakers..??  :wink:

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 29 Mar 2017, 12:37 am »
It's really difficult to make a box not sound like a box, but not impossible, I discovered.

I would elaborate, but I'd then have to kill you. Suffice it to say I've done it, and this should be stimulus enough for some of you to give it a good deep think.

Hi Russell

Impossible mate,have you made a box speaker not sound like a box?,
bellow resonant frequency is boxy.
What box spk have you discovered that is not boxy?

cheers  :wink:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 29 Mar 2017, 01:36 am »
What made a box loudspeaker sound like a box is the bad fact that the driver emit sound only to front + the inside sound waves chaos that disturb the cone work.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #27 on: 29 Mar 2017, 02:00 am »
Hi Russell

Impossible mate,have you made a box speaker not sound like a box?,
bellow resonant frequency is boxy.
What box spk have you discovered that is not boxy?

cheers  :wink:

I guess you'll just have to give it a good deep think, George. Good luck!

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 29 Mar 2017, 02:04 am »
What made a box loudspeaker sound like a box is the bad fact that the driver emit sound only to front + the inside sound waves chaos that disturb the cone work.

Yeah FRM,it's all box acoustics... :wink:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #29 on: 29 Mar 2017, 02:50 am »
I have had all manner of box speakers, planars, subs etc. None of them can hold a candle to Danny Ritchies OB servo bass.

Shakey
Danny's LS9 is a box speaker that can "hold a candle" to the servo bass of the V series, and even do some things better... but when he puts a dozen 12" servo woofers together, that's a different beast. 

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 29 Mar 2017, 03:06 am »
I guess you'll just have to give it a good deep think, George. Good luck!

Box speakers have been around for decades and yes i have done deep think about them.

There is not other method to replace box spks as far as i know.

So i use them all the time especially for subs.

THROWBACK

« Reply #31 on: 29 Mar 2017, 12:35 pm »
My LS-9 is open baffle and I love it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 29 Mar 2017, 12:56 pm »
My LS-9 is open baffle and I love it.

That's a nice rig.  Are those 6 servo drivers next to them? 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #33 on: 29 Mar 2017, 03:58 pm »
There's nothing better than servo sub open baffle bass, at least not that I've heard.  And I've heard (and built) just about every approach to bass that there is. 

Non-servo OB sub systems are very musical and accurate sounding but they lack punch compared to a box sub setup.  But if you add Servo to the OB sub, then you keep the musical/accurate qualities while giving the subs punch-you-in-the-chest dynamics and punch. 

There's a quote from Franco Serblin, the founder of Sonus Faber, that I find quite accurate with regard to bass in the home:

"When you want more bass, you miss it; when you have it, it disturbs you."

That's true of box bass, no doubt.  Servo OB bass is the only system I've heard that gives you bass that is not, ultimately, disturbing. 

matevana

« Reply #34 on: 29 Mar 2017, 05:01 pm »
But if you add Servo to the OB sub, then you keep the musical/accurate qualities while giving the subs punch-you-in-the-chest dynamics and punch. 

Most of the servos I've heard use some type of sensing device (either a secondary coil or an accelerometer on the cone itself) to provide feedback to the amp. The feedback is used to compare the input signal to the actual motion of the cone and make small adjustments, with the ultimate goal of less distortion = greater accuracy. Can you explain how this might add "punch you in the chest dynamics and punch" as compared to a similar OB configuration w/o the servo mechanism?  Thanks.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #35 on: 29 Mar 2017, 05:14 pm »
Most of the servos I've heard use some type of sensing device (either a secondary coil or an accelerometer on the cone itself) to provide feedback to the amp. The feedback is used to compare the input signal to the actual motion of the cone and make small adjustments, with the ultimate goal of less distortion = greater accuracy. Can you explain how this might add "punch you in the chest dynamics and punch" as compared to a similar OB configuration w/o the servo mechanism?  Thanks.
That is my understanding of servo bass systems, too. Logically, servo feedback, where the cone motion is corrected to mirror the input signal, would only work with sealed systems, wouldn't it? In an OB (dipole) system this would take no account of the increasing losses from front-to-back cancellation as frequency descends; in such a system, you want the cone movement to increase relative to the input signal to compensate for this loss, don't you? In order to maintain a linear acoustic output??

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #36 on: 29 Mar 2017, 05:18 pm »
I think Tyson is referring to Dannys implementation.
His "H" baffle, paper cone and using Rythmiks servo system.

The whole being greater than the sum of the parts kinda thing.

For what its worth I agree.....but I have to say those new A15Neo are pretty dang close.

THROWBACK

« Reply #37 on: 29 Mar 2017, 10:55 pm »
S. Clark
"That's a nice rig." Thanks. 
"Are those 6 servo drivers next to them?" Yes they are. Pretty remarkable, especially with Folsom's mods to the A-370 PEQ sub amps.

Early B.

« Reply #38 on: 30 Mar 2017, 01:33 am »

Here's my quick, non-technical response to your question -- the cleaner and more accurate my system got, the more dynamic it became, probably due to less distortion. This occurred especially when I added Danny's OB servo subs which are super clean and provide the "punch you in the chest" dynamics that Tyson referred to. So generally speaking, an OB servo configuration is likely to be more accurate, hence more dynamic, than an OB w/o servo. 

matevana

« Reply #39 on: 30 Mar 2017, 12:38 pm »
That is my understanding of servo bass systems, too. Logically, servo feedback, where the cone motion is corrected to mirror the input signal, would only work with sealed systems, wouldn't it? In an OB (dipole) system this would take no account of the increasing losses from front-to-back cancellation as frequency descends; in such a system, you want the cone movement to increase relative to the input signal to compensate for this loss, don't you? In order to maintain a linear acoustic output??

That's a really interesting point Russell. I don't see the relevance of cone motion feedback in an open system.  Probably why SL relies on ASP/DSP to accomplish his goal.